G'day at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

G'day

I consider myself to be an amateur videographer who tries hard to make documentaries of our travels for our own consumption and for our friends and relatives (whom I presume get bored to death every time I send a new title to them.) I have been working in HD (1440 x 1080 50i) and downconverting to SD to make DVD's.

I have two HDR-HC3 mini DV tape cameras and a GoPro "Surf" full HD waterproof camera. I edit in Vegas Pro and have done so since version 6.0 was released. Some of my productions aren't bad but fall that tiny bit short of being salable due to my constant shortcoming of not taking enough footage up front, thus making stitching the final product together difficult.

I am learning from my mistakes and I hope to one day make a travel doco that might just earn me some money. I am very fortunate to be semi-retired and do a lot of traveling Australia between working. This has given me an opportunity to use magnificent Australian scenery as a backdrop to all of my productions.

Recently She Who Must Be Obeyed and I decided that if we are serious about this videography lurk, then we ought to have a decent camera. After much research we have decided on an XDCAM. I'm still torn between the PMW-EX1R and the EX3. I'm leaning towards the EX1R purely because I can't see myself using interchangeable lenses. My DSLR camera ends up with the wide angle lens on most of the time and rarely gets changed, so I figure that the EX1R will be good enough.

I've been a lurker on this site for a fair while now and find that the knowledge base of the members is enormous. I doubt that I'll have a whole lot to add - there are a lot of smarter people than me out there, but I'll certainly be asking plenty of questions - not too dumb, I hope.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood