Need help on the East Coast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Tourist

Need help on the East Coast

Hello! My name is Dan. I have recently become interested in digital video, and would like to get into making movies, etc. My interests are definitely cars and everyday life. What I need help with is where to get started for making movie that include rolling shots, walkarounds, etcs. A good example of something I find interesting is YouTube - Subysnak's Almost tune.

First off I would like to know what kind of camera to begin with. I'm not looking to go all out in case I find myself uninterested, but I'm willing to buy a quality camcorder to begin with and take it from there.

Also I was wondering the kinds of beginner video editing I should look into once I have taken video. I'd like to run on Windows only and can utilize a dual screen setup for playback.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm very new to this all so I'm unsure of what kind of video to take (SD, HD) and where to begin.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Daniel Womick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Dan, Welcome!!

The link to that video was interesting. If that's the type of shooting you want to do, you may want to look at investing in a steadicam to get those type of smooth panning shots.

Suggestions for a camera, editing software, computer hardware, accessories....could be all over the map. Help us help you better by giving us a ballpark budget for each of the above .... or just a total dollar amount.

Hint about your budget for this....it adds up REAL fast!!

But this can be quite fun and rewarding...and conversely quite frustrating too!!

Again welcome, and hope you enjoy your new venture!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Tourist

Indeed I could see a Steadicam being very useful for the shots, expensive!! Think I could roll with the $14 Stabilizer until I can get a real one? $14 Camera Stabilizer haha

Budget... considering ill be getting taxes back soon and wanting to start off small I could see upwards of a grand, and maybe work my way up. Fortunately I'm planning on upgrading my computer hardware soon, so I hope upgrading wouldn't be too pricey.

Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Do you want to shoot in HD?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Tourist

Since HD is certainly what is hip right now I don't see why not. I would imagine the link I posted was shot in HD?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Since your budget is ~$1000, only you can figure out how to prioritize where you want to spend that money.

CAMCORDER (HD) - can range anywhere from ($150 up past $1000 easily!!); just depends on the features you desire.

COMPUTER HARDWARE....
...CPU; as many cores as possible
...GPU; as fast as possible (nVidia CUDA enabled card for using CS5)
...System Memory; the more, the better

COMPUTER SOFTWARE....
- O/S; Win7 64 bit
- NLE; ranging from Windows Movie Maker (free) on up to the level of Avid Media Composer ($2k+)

Maybe a little confidence booster for ya in regards to an industry saying....
....it's not the tools, it's the content!! In relation to this, check out this story:

'Oldboy' Director Shoots Movie on Apple iPhone 4 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Need help on the East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Womick View Post
Hello! My name is Dan. I have recently become interested in digital video, and would like to get into making movies, etc. My interests are definitely cars and everyday life. What I need help with is where to get started for making movie that include rolling shots, walkarounds, etcs. A good example of something I find interesting is YouTube - Subysnak's Almost tune.

First off I would like to know what kind of camera to begin with. I'm not looking to go all out in case I find myself uninterested, but I'm willing to buy a quality camcorder to begin with and take it from there.

Also I was wondering the kinds of beginner video editing I should look into once I have taken video. I'd like to run on Windows only and can utilize a dual screen setup for playback.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm very new to this all so I'm unsure of what kind of video to take (SD, HD) and where to begin.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Daniel:

The video you referred to could have been shot with a camcorder if it had manual focus control. It also looks like they used a slider. Search on Zaza slider to see what that looks like.

What sort of budget do you have for gear including a computer?
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood