Hi from Shrewsbury, England at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hi from Shrewsbury, England

I supposed I should be described as a prosumer, since although I don't get paid I do get expenses from some of what I do.

I mainly use HD Camcorders for recording Amateur Rugby Union games, then editing into training resources on DVD, Blu-ray, and for Online Video Review via Snapfish.

I previously covered a team at level 5 in the English National Leagues last season, filming on a Saturday, and providing an edited Coach Training Resource DVD on a Tuesday Evening, but was then invited to perform the same for England Deaf Rugby last season, and am now established as their Video Support.

This season, along with covering England Deaf, I am now part of a team in the Midlands filming U20 Rugby Union fixtures in the National U20 Championships, which may include Squad Training Sessions and a friendly International. I've been offered expenses for this.

The latter includes being issued with a Rugby Football Union RefMic set, which plugs into my camera to feed radio transmissions from the Referee, since the raw footage will also be used in Referee Development.

I currently use Sony HDR-HC3 and HC9 Camcorders, but am looking to upgrade to an FX1000 at some point. I use FCE and Toast to produce finished video and discs.

As I 'work' with England Deaf, I am also looking at subtitles, and even BSL options using green screen techniques, although I have no experience currently using the techniques.

Anyone else local to me? I be interested in what you're doing.
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:07 AM   #2
New Boot

Hello Wayne,

I'm another one who does not get paid and considering the wonderful international spread of this forum I suppose I am local to you just by being in the UK.

I am involved with a disabled riding centre in Chigwell, Essex and record riding lessons, events and fund raising stuff. My daughter is also a keen horse rider so I like to record her competitions. I sat on a horse some thirty years back. Just once and that was enough.

I have recently upgraded from a sony vx2100 to a sony HXR NX5. Not because I needed HD but because 4 x 3 was looking very dated. Also let's be honest, who doesn't like a new toy to play with. I am editing with adobe CS4 and windows 7.

I was over Shrewsbury way last week to look at a horse. A place called Wem. Lovely part of England, far too much traffic and concrete where I am.

Best wishes

Ken
Chigwell Riding Trust
Ken Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The photo of you waving a stick, assuming it is you maintaining the Chigwell Riding Trust website, is delightful, always reassuring to know people have a sense of humour.

Yes, Wem is 8 miles up the road from me, they did brew a local beer there 25 years or so ago, called Wem Best Bitter, and there was a local saying that went with it;

'If you feel the bottom is dropping out of your World then drink Wem Best Bitter, then you'll feel the World dropping out of your bottom'.

No doubt this added to the demise of the brewery!

I'm not a local BTW, I'm a Brummie without the accent, every time I return to Birmingham they think I'm Welsh, since I have must have now developed a Shropshire twang of sorts after nearly 30 years.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:43 AM   #4
New Boot

Sounds a bit like my home brew!
Ken Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

As a mystery lover, I think of Shrewsbury as home to "Brother Cadfael", Ellis Peter's medieval detective character. It's great to see video's strengths being used for people who can benefit by it.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I also enjoyed the 'Cadfael' Series, although it is now a little dated.

Interesting to compare a fictional representation of Shrewsbury with where I live, in the stories the Castle and perhaps Abbey are shown next to the River Severn, whereas in fact the Castle and Abbey are on different sides of the River, with the Castle built on top of a hill, with neither structure closer than several hundred metres from water.

The River is also shown as almost a small slowly flowing stream lined with reeds, but in fact is a deep navigable body of water at between 200ft-500ft wide as it makes its loop around the town, although in the past their was no weir to maintain water depth year round. In addition, large areas of low lying land surrounding Shrewsbury used to consist of manmade fish pools early in Shrewsbury's history, and none of these were anywhere near the Abbey or Castle.

Another early part of life in Shrewsbury was the sex industry, with streets named after such activity in medieval times, and later renamed by Victorian Society because they offended sensibilities.

For instance, what is now called 'Grope Lane' had the addition of another word in earlier times, and has since been removed. I can't mention the word here in case this post gets moderated, but do check Wikipedia when you get the chance.

You certainly don't see any of that depicted in 'Cadfael' either.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Wayne, a belated thanks for the history lesson.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood