DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Greeting from Toronto, Ontario, Canada! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/53391-greeting-toronto-ontario-canada.html)

Michael Dalton February 6th, 2003 11:05 AM

Toronto - documentary lovers (and xl1s owners)

Anyone one these boards come from Toronto.

I am looking to meet people in the area who are interested in making documentaries, or any type of productions. So if you young/old, experienced or just enthusiastic, drop me an email.

If there any experiened Xl1s shooters out there, that would like to share some of their knowledge, to help make my work better, email me.

michaelds@digitalcrossing.ca

I'm just finishing up my first TV doc shot in Mexico, and looking for people to colaborate or talk (spitball) on other projects.(documentaries only, and maybe short films)

Michael

Dylan Couper February 6th, 2003 07:46 PM

Well I used to live in Toronto...
...But I like Vancouver much much better. :)

Dominik Chrzan February 12th, 2003 10:14 PM

michael, if i may ask, what kind of documentary did you film in mexico?

dom

Haasim Mahanaim April 3rd, 2003 05:08 PM

Greetings From a Toronto Broadcast Journalism Student

Hey,

I've been lurking for a while because I didn't really have any thing to contribute. - Now that I have begun working on some projects, I decided I might aswell introduce myself.

I've spent the last few months working on a script that started out as a screenplay that later transformed into a short film script.

I am also working on a screenplay that I hope to finish during the spring. There was a time when I was really impatient and determined to achieve immediate success. I scoffed at the idea of doing a short film because I felt my 'brilliant' ideas needed a larger audience.

Now I am not quite so naive. And I am eager to take babysteps in my pursuit of being a storyteller.

After being inspired by some of the short films showcased on this site, I have generated some ideas that I am eager to pursue.

My first few projects will be voice over narrative driven stories. I don't have access to a boom mic write now and I don't want to destroy my initial projects with bad audio.

When reading the many rules and guidelines for this site, it seems to be much more rigid than any Internet community I've visited.

I never really though of an Internet handle as a facade or disguise. It just seemed like a playful and creative way of distinguishing ourselves while giving some kind of insight into our personality.

Anyway, this is one of the better filmmaking communities on the net, so I guess these 'rigid' rules must be a quality control thing.

Hopefully I will be able to put what I have learned from here to good use.

Frank Granovski April 3rd, 2003 05:17 PM

Welcome, Haasim! I'll be looking forward to reading your posts!

----------------------------------------
Dar deh be dar moon --- Farsi

Rob Lohman April 4th, 2003 09:36 AM

Welcome aboard, Haasim! You are in a position that a lot of us
are in. Lots of ideas. Now is the time to start doing something
with em! I hope you'll be able to do things you want to do and
am interested to see what you'll produce!

And yes, the real names is part of the quality control that is being
done here. As you have noted, it seems to work!

Jason Balich April 20th, 2003 03:11 PM

Hello from TORONTO !!

Hi there,

I'm somewhat new to this forum... although i have been reading and posting liek a madman since i got my GL2.

I live in Toronto Ontario and was wondering if there were any people out there interested in doing some filming. Im totally open to concepts and I bring a good amount of NLE knowledge and special effects compositing to the table.

Haasim Mahanaim April 21st, 2003 08:08 AM

Hey,

I'm also from Toronto... I checked out your portfolio site, http://www.littlebearmedia.com - nice work!

I noticed you went to Seneca college. I'm currently attending the Seneca@York campus for Broadcast Journalism. I'm going to be in school during the summer, but I'd be interested to 'help out' if you work on any video projects.

Just like every wanna filmmaker, I've been working on a few scripts I hope to complete during my weeks off before the start of the summer semester. There is a cool production company founded by Kevin Spacey, they have a community called triggerstreet.com where storytellers can share their work and get feedback. Ever heard of it?

John Locke April 21st, 2003 08:54 AM

Welcome, Jason!

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards. I'm a bit of a commute from Toronto, but you'll find a few more people in your area here.

Good luck with your GL2.

Dylan Couper April 21st, 2003 10:28 AM

Hey, welcome!
I used to live in TO.
Moved to Vancouver 8 years ago.

Andrew Petrie May 8th, 2003 10:01 AM

There are a few people scattered around SW Ontario...Myself and Frank Goertzen are in the London area. It'd be fun to get everyone together and throw ideas around.

My only contact with a GL2 has been on display at FutureShop. There's always a salesman hanging around when you're looking at a $4K camera. I just smile and inform him I've got his bigger brother. Not one has known what I'm talking about :P *shrug*

Jason Balich May 8th, 2003 10:25 AM

Get Together = Good Idea

The idea of getting a bunch of people together sounds interesting. I've heard of alot of good things happening after people poling there skills and ideas. How do u suppose we get this going?

David Pritchett September 2nd, 2003 03:11 PM

Hey folks! New member from Toronto!

Hey, folks!

I just stumbled across this excellent forum of yours. I'm VERY impressed! It's been added to my favourites, and I'm sure I'll be frequenting it as often as possible (daily!).

I'm living in Toronto, and trying to keep as busy as possible. We've just finished shooting a couple of shorts on 16mm, as well as another short on Hi-Def, and a music video on Hi-Def. We try to mix up all these 'big' shoots with DV projects as well.

So, if you're in the Toronto area, give me a shout! (especially if you're an experienced DOP, or camera person with samples) ;)

Until then.

David

dpritchett@pendulumentertainment.com

http://www.pendulumentertainment.com

Ken Tanaka September 2nd, 2003 10:13 PM

Welcome David

I'm sure we'd love to hear more about your work, particularly your HD and DV work.

Dylan Couper September 2nd, 2003 10:34 PM

Hey, I used to live in Toronto...

Go Leafs!

Andrew Petrie September 3rd, 2003 07:09 AM

I'm in London, a stone's throw away. Pleased to meet ya.

David Pritchett September 12th, 2003 01:17 AM

Hey again!

Great to meet you guys!

GO LEAFS (indeed!!).

We're in post on our HD short right now. The route we went was to get the master HD tapes transferred to Digibeta, then to DVCAM, and then directly into the computer. We'll cut on the DVCAM, and master with the Digibetas. If the need arises, we'll take our EDL (Avid Xpress) to a house that has HD decks and make an HD master copy as well... However, this does pose a bit of a problem, as we have some 3D/CG work being done, and (right now) there are no plans for rendering out that footage at the HD rez. We'll see what happens :)

We're planning on shooting 3 spec commercials in 3 weeks time, so we're keepin' very busy. We'll also be shooting these on HD.

Keep shootin'!!!!!

David

P.S. This place rocks!

David Hurdon September 12th, 2003 05:32 AM

Welcome, David. You have indeed found the right forum for digital video. Let me know if you need an amateur to hang around evenings and weekends, getting in the way and asking too many questions.

David Hurdon

Frank Granovski September 12th, 2003 12:08 PM

Quote:

Hey, I used to live in Toronto...Go Leafs!
Years ago I watched King of Kensington on TV. And after that, I watched the re-runs. Then in 1979 I moved to T.O. for a while. I loved the city! (And the funny people that hung out around the Maple Leaf Gardens at night.)

PS: I never did find that store that "The King" owned and ran. :(

Thomas Fraser December 27th, 2003 11:31 PM

Toronto Ontario

Anyone in Toronto.. I am looking for a video club to join. A great way to x-change ideas and watch eachothers videos.
Maybe we can form a video/ film making club?
Say hello .
Thomas

Dylan Couper December 28th, 2003 01:58 AM

I've heard of Toronto...
Oh wait, I was born there...
Then I got some sense and moved to Vancouver.
Leafs still rule though!

David Hurdon December 28th, 2003 10:01 AM

After 20 years in Toronto I know one person who shares my interest in digital content creation, and he made his living in video for those years. I'd be very interested in a local group with shared interest and I hope some of the other guys and girls I've noticed from Toronto here and on other groups would be too.

David Hurdon

Andrew Petrie December 29th, 2003 09:21 AM

What kind of gear do you both have? We may have the hardware to put something together. I live outside of Toronto, but frequent the area for a car club I am involved with.

Christopher C. Murphy July 12th, 2004 09:37 AM

Toronto Canada this week anyone? I have a shoot there.

Hi Toronto Canada video'ers!

If anyone on here will be in Toronto Canada the rest of this week and maybe want to hookup for some beers and talk shop let me know. I've got a shoot from Tuesday to Friday in Toronto.

Any good bars in town??

Murph

Myron Iwankewich July 14th, 2004 03:01 PM

Hi Christopher. I'm sorry I didnt see your posting earlier or I would have tried hooking up. Where in Toronto are you shooting? What's the project?

Regards, Myron

Christopher C. Murphy July 16th, 2004 10:53 PM

Toronto Canada shoot

Hi Myron, I was in the theater district on King St.

The shoot was a corporate HP thing (they're on King St.), so that was during the day. At night I was partying at all those cool places like the Kit Kat....and this one place where all the babes were hanging out the windows! What a cool place...man, there are some hot women in Toronto. The only bummer is that most of them smoke! What the deal with huge smoking population!

Also, the day I rolled in was the day of the massive smog over the city (Tuesday). It was bad that day and that night there were huge storms too.

Sorry I missed you, but I'd like to come up there again. It's got some great clubs!

Murph

Ari Shomair July 23rd, 2004 10:37 PM

It's not that there are a lot of smokers, its that it is illegal to smoke inside a bar or club, so anyone who does smoke groups outside together, giving the apperance of more smokers than there actually are.

Montral is where all the smokers live ;)

Joseph De Leo July 25th, 2004 09:00 AM

Hi All From De Leo Productions Inc.

Hello everyone.

My name is Joseph and I'm an indie from Toronto. I've made 2 short digital films and am currently trying to get a feature together.

I mainly shoot on the Sony VX2000, and still feel that it is a camera that can't be beat.

Check out my site to view the trailers of my 2 short films:
FISH'N CHICKS and PILGARLIC.

The movie FISH'N CHICKS can be seen at 3btv.com in the UK and undergroundfilm.org.

I'm glad to finally be a part of DV Community.

Best regards

Joseph

www.deleoproductions.com

Rob Lohman August 2nd, 2004 11:14 AM

Welcome aboard Joseph! Good to have you with us.

Joseph De Leo August 2nd, 2004 06:23 PM

hey

Thanks for having me.

Mike Sun November 14th, 2004 06:21 PM

New here, from Toronto.

I've been shooting videos for 3 years at the recreational level, mainly for maxbimmer.com and for personal social events. My videos are far from professional though. My current (and first) camcorder is the Sony DCR TRV-17.

It's a great camcorder to use at the beginner level, but now I would like start filming more at the professional level.

I am eventually going to purchase a new camcorder, but I'm on a tight budget. I noticed that while fliping through a digital video magazine (forgot the title), the mail-in-order companies seem to offer their product pricing much lower than a retail store or even an online retailer like B&H Photo. What's up with that and should I go via the mail-in-order route?

I'd appreciate it if I can get some input on this,

Thanks, and this forum is awesome!

Andrew Petrie November 14th, 2004 07:17 PM

In short: Run away. Far away. Shred your magazine to prevent any urges for a 'great deal' you may have.

They will take you for a ride, insist on buying 'accessories' that are actually part of the retail package you'd get from reputable companies like B&H, Zotz, EVS, ZGC, at inflated prices. Then, give you a run around unless you agree to buy said accessories.

You may also get a 'world wide' warranty which Canon does not recognize in North America, so forget any warranty support.

Need I go on?

Dylan Couper November 15th, 2004 01:37 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Andrew covered most of it, but forgot to add:
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

There, now we covered it. :)

Bob McRee November 18th, 2004 02:29 PM

if you can find used gl1 canon ---cain"t go wrong for small investment!

Diogo Galhanone Jr November 25th, 2004 10:07 PM

Hi Mike!
My name is Diogo and I lived in Toronto for the past three years and half (I'm back in Brazil, now)...
Well, I got amazed that a lot of people doing video in Toronto weren't familiar with the name Trinity Square Video. TSV is an artist-run centre, and they are the folks you want to talk to. Plus, you will meet a lot of great video artists and make wonderful connections. I miss everyone of them, Jason, Roy, Ian (even though I wasn't the most frequent among the members) etc.
Their location: 401 Richmond St W #376 (Richmond at Spadina, you can't miss it)
Phone number: 416.593.1332
I'm quite sure they'll help you with whatever question you have... where to find good products in Toronto, who to buy from (or to rent from, you know you don't need to own a production house to start shooting, eh?)...
There you go,
Diogo.

Kevin C. W. Wong December 31st, 2004 02:58 PM

In Toronto

Hey everyone,

I am a DOP in Toronto.

To do away with all the pretention, I am actually not way too experienced, I've been shooting seriously only for about 3 years and have shot a couple of music videos, a couple of TV commercials, lots of shorts, and one feature film on HD.

I graduated from RyeHigh Film school a couple of years ago and have enjoyed being a part of this small, but very competitive community.

My goal is to shoot narrative work, so for all you producers and directors out there, go ahead a take a look at my work and we shall talk about some cool colaborations.

Kevin,

www.4lanes.com

Brad Mills January 21st, 2005 02:01 AM

Hey guys. I'm new as well, and currently living in Toronto.

I'm planning on shooting a feature I wrote in Cape Breton, NS during the summer. I have some investor interest, he wants to see the paper work before he gives me any money, so that's what phase of production I'm in now...trying to make my first ever budget for $40,000.00

I need a DOP, too bad you guys weren't in Nova Scotia...

Kevin C. W. Wong January 21st, 2005 08:50 AM

Replying Brad

Hey Brad,

Congrats on your leads towards your first feature.

Can you tell me more about the project?
I've made it a point this year to get more into narrative work so I don't mind travelling (on me) to working on interesting projects.

I'll send you a reel if you'd like and we can talk more.

Kevin,

Brad Mills January 21st, 2005 03:01 PM

Kevin, thanks for the interest.

It's a sendup to cheesy 80's horror movies. My inspirations are 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra' and 'Psycho Cop'

Lost Skeleton being an influence because it's a sendup to bad 50's alien movies...just made a year or two ago, great movie.

Psycho Cop being an influence because it's the worst 80s horror movie in the world.

So it's a comedy, but it will be filmed completely serious, it has to be done deadpan...nothing like Scary Movie or Club Dread.

I'll be shooting in July/August on an 18 day schedule. It's pretty basic for actors & locations. I have a really good makeup effects guy in CB who studied here in Toronto for all the blood and gore. I've got a Locations Manager, Assistant Director, and a few other people back home interested in being part of it.

So basically all I need is a real DP, I've got a guy interested who's done some work for basic cable, but I want this to look like a movie, not a low budget tv show.

Anyway, if you're interested in travelling, I'd take care of the travel expenses. Do you have your reel online? Also, do you know anyone in Cape Breton that you could stay with? Let me know! Thanks again,

BRad

Kevin C. W. Wong January 22nd, 2005 01:19 AM

Replying Brad

Hey Brad,

Sounds cool. If you would like to take a look at my reel you can go to www.4lanes.com and go into the reel section and look under DOPs.

You could email me directly at kevin@4lanes.com if you can any comments/questions.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

Kevin,