Hello from Hampshire, UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 1st, 2020, 05:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Hello from Hampshire, UK

I have always used general photography forums but decided to search around for a more dedicated video forum, and here I am. Probably out of my depth with all the professionals on here but it is great to find people who know what they are talking about. I am a retired design engineer so photography has always been just a hobby for me since the age of 13. (That's 1966 ouch). I started video when decent camcorders became affordable about 20 years ago. I now own a Panasonic HC-X1E, some of which I struggle with but there's always AUTO :-) I have my own YouTube channel which I started when I realised all my videos would be wiped and discarded when I pop my clogs, so I re-edited some of the better definition holiday and events videos and published them. I'm up to 200,000 views and counting so someone likes them.

I've just posted my first post in the Panasonic forum (batteries) and I am sure I will be back on here again soon asking for advice. I just hope all you pro's don't think they are stupid questions. Bye for now.
Syd Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Hello from Hampshire, UK

Hi Syd - I'm another oldie just down the road from you in Titchfield (Hampshire,UK). Keep the 'dumb' questions coming because sometimes they don't always have easy answers, such as 'when should you use Auto modes?'.
In my case the answer is: Auto focus: almost always because its faster and more accurate than I am, especially in 4k; Auto iris: sometimes, such as when I'm using a gimbal; Auto white balance: not often, because most cameras get it slightly wrong.

How are you getting on with the HC-X1E - are you shooting 4k?
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:04 PM   #3
New Boot

Took me ages setting up all the options but believe it or not, I have not filmed anything yet. Hopefully I will get time tomorrow. I have only used 4K on my Sony RX10 so far, and I then had massive problems streaming from my PC to TV. I had to check with LG who made the TV and they stated the network card in the TV would only handle up to 100Mbps. I spent ages trying to find the problem in my LAN but hat was fine all along. I found I could play 4K at high bitrate if I sent it to a DVD player and then bounced it to the TV through HDMI.
The bottom line is that I shall probably stay with HD to avoid further streaming issues, but also because in 4K the cam loses several options such as slow mo and another 10x optical zoom.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah - streaming 4K to a TV is hassle. I was most disappointed when I put an SD card from my DVX200
into my newish Panasonic 4k tv and it wouldn't play - the bit rate of raw 4k camera files is too high for most tellies as you found out.

But I export edited 4k at 80 Mbps and it works fine, although now I put all my 4k stuff on to a Synology NAS and stream it to the telly these days.

I can see why you would want to stick with HD, and you really have to up your game in 4k because small errors in focus, exposure and colour balance are really noticeable on a big 4k screen. I've struggled with 4k for several years now but I'm glad I made the effort.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 05:22 PM   #5
New Boot

I also found 80Mbps was the optimum even though LG told me 100Mbps was the max but it was buffering a lot. I may have a go at keeping the cam on 4K because it is beautiful on the OLED TV, and change to HD whenever I require slow mo (which is rare) or 30x optical zoom (which is mainly for wildlife). It is a shame that Panasonic have not included an automatic switch from 4K to HD when those options are manually selected, and then back to 4K when deselected. Someone else in the forum had also mentioned the same.

Like you, I stream all my videos from my PC. I don't have an NAS, just 4 drives in the PC. All my AV is networked hence the method of using ethernet to the DVD player and then stream from there through HDMI to the TV, thereby bypassing the useless network card in the TV. I have no idea why the DVD player's network card can handle it. When I get more time, I will play around with different format settings but we have an NGS garden which opens to the public at Easter and even though we are retired, there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. And getting old is a bummer. By teatime I'm knackered.
Old March 8th, 2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Syd,
Interesting to read your posts. I've been in video production since 1960 and this month am hanging up my boots. I have a green screen set-up and a couple of lights with stands which you can have free fo charge. I'm a few miles away in Basingstoke so contact me if you would like them
Guy Caplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 11:01 AM   #7
New Boot

Hello Guy
Thanks for the offer. That's really good of you but I don't do any studio work at all. The equipment would be wasted on me. The only time I use a light is outdoors when natural light is low and I then use an LED flood mounted on the side of the tripod head. I hope the retirement goes well.
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Syd, I'm officially based in Swanage but nowadays mainly (and locked-down) in Alton, Hants. I've worked in this area on an occasional (second job) basis for the last two decades, mainly recurring and word-of-mouth clients and mostly covering moderately large live events (e.g. around 500 audients). Also occasionally dabbling in indie film production and scene direction. Now retired but possibly interested in further creative/filming/post work.
David Esp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood