Howdy 2001 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old November 20th, 2001, 01:54 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Hi,

tja, ich weiß auch nicht so recht, was ich sagen soll. Wir hatten heute erst wieder das Problem, dass ein Tape nicht im Panasonic-Player läuft. Da mussten wir alles erst auf Beta kopieren......Schei...!

Ich werde mich aber in dieser Woche noch mit Canon in Verbindung setzen, weil ich nicht einsehe, dass der Schritt von der XM-1 zur XL-1 zu einem Rückschritt wird.

Wo ich allerdings Glück habe, ist beim Bandsalat. Nichts bisher, Gott sei Dank. Ich nehme IMMER die TDK DVM 60, und dann nur im SP.

Gruß,

Markus
Markus Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2001, 06:58 PM   #32
Gerald Beranek

Born and raised in the Redwoods

GF Beranek, Tree climber, timber faller, author of "Fundamentals of General Tree Work" 512 pages and hundres of photots. Author of "A Tree Story" on CD rom, PDF format, hundreds of full color photos and true stories of climbing the giants. And soon to come "a video of the same"
Always another adventure, huh? And so I'm taking on a video production of climbing the giants. All hands on "how to".
Video production? I'm stumbling with it a bit, but it's going to be great trial to win. And I'm doing it now by finding links to sites like this and other forums to pick up on the tips I read in them all. Very, very helpful. The learning curve isn't so steep now. Thank you all.
GF Beranek. Proud owner of a new Rex M1, RT, Xplode, Nt OS, SM P6DGE, dual 600s, gig of ram and gigs of video drive. Oh, and a vx- 1000 to take to the tree tops and GVD300 on the desktop to feed the rex. Always another adventure!
Beranek@mcn.org
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:13 PM   #33
Gerald Beranek

Any Germans?

No, but I'm Bohemian and live in Ft. Bragg, California. Got to meet a few tree guys from your neck of the woods at some trade shows in the states. German tree guys. Climbers, timber fallers. Nice folks. Have plans to get out your way someday.
I'm currently taking on a project of videoing tree climbing. I'm new at video, but have links to many forums and read "all" the imput you find in them. Good stuff! Answers lots of my questions without having to ask them.
What are you doing with video? curious. You'll find my link right next to yours in this site. "Born and raised in the Redwoods" All the best. GF Beranek.
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:28 PM   #34
Gerald Beranek

Great story of climbing the ladder

For operating on a shoestring you guys have really made some success. With minimum equipment and all. It's the hard work that does it. Love to hear stories like yours. Congrats! All the best, GF Beranek.
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:54 PM   #35
Gerald Beranek

Always like to meet creative people you say

Love your comment about cheap lighting, tripod conversion and duct tape. Been there alot myself putting together some past projects. Mainly publishing where many of the photos I used in a book were taken with an infared remote controlled camera place up to 200 feet from the subject, me in a tree. That remote had a mind of it own sometimes and would burn a roll of Kodachrome faster than my spit could hit the ground. Problem was it was set to take stills instead of full motordrive. Still doing basically the same thing, but with video now. Me, being the cameraman and subject in the trees. Always worked with volunterr help, thank God for friends. But I can't always get them when I need them. So I improvise and find ways of doing it all myself. Results in a lot of wasted time, but the little bit I glean always seems worth it. Up in the trees duct tape works great to hold the camera on a birds perch.
Old November 21st, 2001, 03:40 AM   #36
ZoLO_axs

TDK TAPES Benutze ich gar nicht!
Die haben eine zu dünne Trägerschicht und verlieren leicht maal was von der Magnetbeschichtung... Ich han zwei mal mit TDK Tapes gerbeitet... da is die reinigungskassette echt heiss gelaufen... :)
Bin jetzt bei Canon oder Panasonic tapes gelandet...
Old November 21st, 2001, 03:52 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Ich benutze sie nur einmal und deshalb habe ich noch nie ein Problem gehabt. Werde jetzt gleich aber meine XL1s auf Reise nach Barcelona schicken, da das Gerät überprüft werden muss. Bei Gebrauch eines Tapes in einem anderen Player habe ich immer Aussetzer und schlechten Ton. Es scheint ein bekanntes Problem zu sein.
Old November 21st, 2001, 04:06 AM   #38
ZoLO_axs

Ja! Die XL1s Tapes funktionieren nur auf Canon und Sony geräten!
Canon sagt dazu (wörtlich) wir haben das auf 2 Sony geräten getestet und das läuft einwandfrei"
Nach dem Motto "Wenn Ihr Mastering studio nur minderwertige Geräte (zb von Panasonic oder JVC) verwendet, können wir ja nichts dafür..." Das haben die zwar nicht gesagt, aber es klingt so...
Mehr dazu, wenn ich mit dem Service Menschen von Canon Deutschland fertig bin... Dann wird man den gesammten Email verkehr zwischen Ihm und mir in den grosen deutschen Video / DV Magazinen (auch online) lesen können!
Old November 21st, 2001, 06:15 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Eben nicht! Es sieht so aus, dass einige XL1s (darunter meine) einen schlecht justierten Kopf haben (oder so). DIe Folge: Ich kann nur Aufnahmen auf meiner Kamera ausspielen und auf keinem anderen Player sonst.
Old November 21st, 2001, 09:33 AM   #40

'llo from New Mexico

Just a note to introduce myself...a newbie to this forum. I do production video from my home in Santa Fe. I provide "backdrop" natural scenes for client video productions. I've been using a Sony VX-100, but, just bought a Canon XLS-1. Despite some of its problems, I LOVE this camera. I have control, again...<g>. Distribution is via elecronic media...CD-R, DVD, what have you. NO broadcast stuff for me.

Bill Ravens
Chalchihuitl Productions
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2001, 07:56 AM   #41
johnfrank

telephoto

Hello can any one tell me if the vanon tele-converter tl-30.5,tl-43 0r tl-46 work on my xl1, they are very inexpenive 99.00-149.00
Ive got to work on a core of Eng job on the Ms river
Old December 13th, 2001, 02:56 AM   #42
filmbuff

intro

Hi! I have just become part of the dv community and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a filmmaker from from Bombay,India.
Has anybody shot a short/feature on the Sony VX2000? Any idea of what the reverse telecine results would be??
Do hope to share experiences and learn from fellow filmmakers
of their experiences.
Old December 13th, 2001, 08:34 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Re: Features and shorts

I did a lot of location scouting with my VX2000. The still image function with a large capacity mem stick came in very handy. It let me do an imense amount of planning for my work (both scripts and shoots) Funny you should ask about producing work on the VX2k...

I was in the process of finding it a new home when I sold my first script. Since no serious takers surfaced, I started thinking about doing shorts and using local settings/actors to shoot scenes and evaluate dialog. Darn if I just didn't decide to shoot a feature film.

You can achieve some very nice results using the custom settings to warm up the images and knock down the contrast. It's not film but is more appealing I think.

As soon as I get this progressive download animal figured out, I'll drop some clips on my site, which by the way, will be revamped and redesigned after the new year.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reverse telecine" as lot os folks do tape to film transfers, some with very good results, some with bad. And it can be very expensive.
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 11:34 PM   #44
filmbuff

shorts/features

Thanks Gardner for your inputs. Yeah I did tape to film transfer.Some of the results that I saw were great. But again the lab that does these transfers did suggest that first on the list would be digibeta,dvcam and and then minidv. We recently had a digital festival in Delhi the first of its kind this part of the continent and the shorts were aired with good results.

Well wish you the best with your shorts and features.
Old December 25th, 2001, 08:42 AM   #45
Major Player

Intro

Hello neighbors,

Sorry to say but I will Learn a lot fro all of you but have very little offer back. I started with photography ( yashica 124G ) at the age of 15 (1974) and shoot a lot of medium format with a mamiya 645 super. During my hunt to find THE answer to thwe question "should I be digital or stay with film" I discovered the mini DV and added it to a business I created to sell decor photos. The next thing I know I haven't even had the time to try and sell my photos as I have been busy shooting evening news as a Stringer. I found out very quick that shooting news wasn't as easy as it looked. My photo skills helped some with the XL1S but I still had a learning curve of what the assignment editors wanted and then putting it on film (sorry, tape) in a professional looking shoot, at night, without blinding the emergency services workers, with the best video light I could find (second light is a Smith Victor and still looking for a good frezzi or Varralux), all while trying to get close enough to the shoot without getting arrested or stepping on evidence. Even though I am a firefighter and x 911 operator, the law enforcement in this county is still learning how to handle the media showing up so quickly. Doing all this and trying to decipher ten codes and signals to see if the event is newsworthy. Then getting it to the studio 45 miles away in time for the news and getting home quick eneough to get sleep for my full time job.
In my spare time I am trying to get wideband internet service installed and am experimenting with pinnacle studio 7 DV to see if it is possible to get the footage rolled up into an email and delivered by internet.
So, as you see, the best I can hope to be around all of you is"as little a burden as possible".
Thanks
Donny
Don Parrish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood