video club/collaborators in SF Bay? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

video club/collaborators in SF Bay?

Recently I have been volunteering my film making & editing to different non-profits in the San Francisco Bay Area (Hidden Villa Farm and History Center, Geological Survey, Marine Institute, Pakistan earthquake relief), and would like to find other videographers/film-makers to share ideas and knowledge with.

My day job is consulting to HP and Intel, mostly marketing and business development, but sometimes they let me do small corporate videos, record trainings/seminars and create demo videos. I live on the Silicon Valley edge of the Santa Cruz Mtns and Grenoble France, but prefer to be in my cabover camper. I’ve been an outdoors photographer forever, and now have a Sony HDR-FX1, descent mics and will get a dual-core Yonah laptop as soon as it ships.

It would be nice to meet and team up with people on their different projects. My volunteering preference is for outdoor/nature/wildlife documentaries. I edit with Premiere Pro and Ulead, and often get people at the non-profits to use Windows Movie Maker for story-boarding.

Is there a video club in the South Bay (SF Bay Area)? Or locals who would like to collaborate on each other’s projects?
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mark,

I am a Bay Area Native and I now live a couple hours away in the Sierra Foothills. I go to the Bay Area frequently. I also have a FX1. I mostly do audio post on g5 dual with protools and I am now learning FCP Studio. I have been self-employed in Pro-Audio production for the past 25 years. With a couple of FX1s we could probably do some cool HD stuff. If you get a chance, park that Cabover by the Yuba River, it is awesome right now!
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
New Boot

I’m working on a project in your neighborhood. My brother, who lives in Grass Valley, just returned from building shelters for Pakistan earthquake victims (http://www.ri.org/adoptavillage/index.php -> HILKOT). His shelter building has been very successful and he has been on TV and newspapers many times. We are now working to put audio to his slide/movie presentation for distribution.

What kind of projects do you have going on, or are wishing for? Where on the Yuba are you?
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

check in with SF Film Arts Foundation - they might have know of something down San Jose way ... or you may see an event that would make a drive to SF worth while ..

www.filmarts.org
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

IN addition to Filmarts.org, take a look at the Bay Area Video Coalition at
http://bavc.org/ Both Filmarts and BayVac are good clearing houses for classes, equipment and connections/networking.

By the way, I live in San Mateo.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Mark,

Currently I am working on sweetening of an 'up and coming' comedian's off Broadway one man show on video. I have a shoot scheduled for the end of this month that will need a lot of post. I live in Nevada City, but my wife and I took a hike along the Yuba. As you know, Grass Valley is only about 3 miles away. Maybe we can meet for coffee some time and 'dis the H1 and HVX 200. (I hope the Wranglers still have a sense of humor after all the flame throwing.)
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7
New Boot

Hello all,
Wow, those SF orgs are a plethora of good resources. I’ll have to make it up there some how (my pickup does not fit into SF parking). Thanks for the pointers.

As is convenient for folks I’d be happy to meet for tea, coffee or a meal to discuss fun stuff we’re working on.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey,

SF-based videographer with an HVX200 checking in. I'm over at FAF, too, a great place. Lots of networking opportunities, but lots of competition as well!

I do video production for the World Affairs Council, a nonprofit in the financiial district, as well as whatever one-off productions I can find, and projects for myself and friends.
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Elk Grove/Sacramento here

In my real life, I am small town attorney.

In my video life I have a FX1, VX2000, editing in Premiere Pro 2.0, HDV and DV. Also have Vegas Movie Studio, Platinum, and Pinnacle's Studio 10 Plus.

Sennheiser ME 66 with DX4a adapter does well for interviews. Also use a HiMD minidisk for recording.

Would love to me locals with same interests- film making, either dramatic or documentary-- or just to see what other real live video heads are like.

Incidentally, I was born and raised in San Martin and Morgan Hill areas. BD 1950. What a change.....

Hey, this sounds like a personal ad....
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:18 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm looking to collaborate with folks too, I'm up in oakland though. Ive got an XL1, a gl2, shotgun mic, lights and a G5, I usually shoot but I recently started to direct, but overall I'm willing to do whatever to get a project finished. I'm pretty handy at producing too. I also like italian food and walks on the beach :) but seriously, I've some projects coming up so if anyone wants to lend a hand let me know, or if any of you have a project and need a hand drop me a line.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood