A newbie here at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:53 AM   #1
Contributor

A newbie here

I just joined the forum; have been active on 2-pop and dv.com for some time. It's something to do when rendering long Ultimatte composites.

I've been around forever, started in the 16mm days shooting with a Beauleau (if I can still spell it), a CP16R and other things. Moved into video near the end of the 2" days and moved into 1", 3/4 and then Betacam with a BVW300. Still have the old 300, but it's retired and has been replaced by a DSR500WS/L1, using the same aging but still excellent Nikkor ED 8.5-127 lens. Also have a DSR250 which I use a lot for hand-held walking shots; and a TRV900 for those situations where you want another camera in your briefcase or for things where a bigger camera would be a problem. For lighting I use Altman fresnels, Lowel open face, softlights, and Lowel Caselight fluorescents, and others. Audio is Lectrosonics wireless with Countryman lavs, a Sennheiser MKH416 and Shure FP33 mixer. Audio studio is ProTools.

Most of my work is educational, training, corporate, local TV spots, documentary, sales, marketing, etc. Lots of interactive training these days, and most everything ends up on CDROM, some on DVD. We have a small studio, with dolly, jib, and two Avid editing suites (www.opuskc.com) that had been Media Composers for several years but recently converted to new XDV's on OSX. As long as we're shooting a DV25 format, no need to go with new Media Composers, and the new XDV's make me and the other editor smile everytime we turn on those dual gig G4's (we had been running MC7.2 on a 9600 and a G3).

I'm somewhat active in the local film community and edited and did post production on "Shades of Gray," a documentary that has gone to 35mm and hopefully limited release in Europe soon. I'm scheduled to edit a 30 min. short feature starting next month, and have a documentary on censorship I've been working on very slowly for some time. I'm also a board member of the Halfway to Hollywood Film Festival (www.H2Hfilmfest.org), and while most of the entries we get are 35mm films, we are starting to get some features in video. We want quality feature length productions, on full size DVCAM or DV tape. If you've got Betacam, get it dubbed because it's too much trouble for us to deal with different formats at 3 different theaters.

But more importantly, I seem to have developed a reputation on some of the boards for sardonic humor and baiting the ironically-challenged on occasion.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 09:20 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

After following your posts around the interenet, I must say it's a pleasure to have you with us here, Bill. Welcome aboard! That's a stylish website and impressive demo reel. It's great to have yet another person here with a firm background in corporate video production, and I hope you like what you find in our community. Thanks for coming in,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Hi, Bill. Nice to have you here. Don't forget to use your disclaimer when you post!

llllllll
)+_+(
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Contributor

Sheesh, they open the back door a crack and all the undesireables manage to get in.*

*Note: Portions or all of this message may be unsuitable for the ironically-challenged.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:13 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Bill

Like Chris, I have followed many of your posts elsewhere ("KCBill") and am delighted to see you here. You and I have actually corresponded once or twice over the past couple of years.

Dive right in! To warp an Oldsmobile slogan "It's not just XL1's any more."

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM   #6
Contributor

Actually, there's somebody else called "KCBill". That's not me. But I think I'm registered on dv.com as BillKC.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Bill, nice connotation! Let us hope that BB doesn't see this one, otherwise we are in big trouble.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:34 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Indeed, "BillKC" is what I was thinking of.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 09:12 PM   #9
Warden

Welcome aboard, Bill. It's always good to have another corporate producer to compare notes with (and another ex Media Composer user to boot).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #10
Contributor

Thanks. It was a difficult decision to move away from MC to XDV...sort of like the feeling I had when I moved away from Sony Broadcast cameras to the DSR500...how does one hold one's head high with such a lack of status....
Old January 24th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #11
Warden

Don't feel bad, I switched almost three years ago and have been very happy with Final Cut Pro. I've a client that I edit for that has XDV, so I still get to keep my fingers in the Avid world.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #12
Contributor

It made sense for us to switch, just as it made sense to switch from Betacam SP to DVCAM. The old Media Composers were, well, old, and the new XDV's on the dual gig G4's would be worth the switch just for the speed alone. However, there are some operational features that make it advanced over our obsolete Media Composers. Of course, the newer Media Composers have some features we don't have. Most of them are not worth the money to us, for the kind of work we do. If we were shooting a DV50 or above format, that would be different, but we're not. So far the only thing I miss in XDV is the extend edit button. Its absence sucks.
Old January 26th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Bill,
Welcome. If you lurk on the avid forum, the rumor is the extend edit is coming soon to V4...
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood