Hello from Oklahoma / Kuwait at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 21st, 2006, 11:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello from Oklahoma / Kuwait

Hi, I am new to this site, and I love the information I am getting here.

I recently decided that I am going to make Videography my living. Currently I am in the US Army, stationed in Lawton Oklahoma, and deployed in Kuwait. I have about 2 years left in the service, and I am hoping to have enough skill and reputation to make a bit of money in the videography business by then.

I have always loved filming everything I can, and I got even more interested in this field when I got a JVC MC-500 DV camera. It has a 4GB micro drive in it, and 3 CCD's, and I immediately started putting video files on my PC & editing them. Until this happened, I had no idea what I wanted to do after the Army. I wanted to do work that has room for creativity, and this is perfect. Before the Army I was a computer engineer, but I got bored, and burned out doing that.

DV is perfect for me, because I can use my computer skills in a creative way, and create something for others to see.

I plan to buy a JVC GY-HD100U within the next few months, so that I can start learning to use a professional camera. I like my current camera, but I find I am always wanting more control.

I am hoping to learn enough in the next 6 months (that's how much time I have left in Kuwait) to begin some video projects when I get back to the states. I will need some help learning that fast, but I think this community is just what I need to do it.

I have an idea for a project I want to do when I get back to the states, but I will post my idea in another post.

Your thoughts on how to learn, what to do, what not to do, etc are welcome.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome, Justin!

It's so good to see you here. Make yourself right at home and have fun.

I've got a soft spot for Army guys because of my son, so let me tell you "thanks," and "best wishes" with your plans! :)
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Deming
Hi, I am new to this site, and I love the information I am getting here.

Your thoughts on how to learn, what to do, what not to do, etc are welcome.
Justin,

Welcome! You have already taken the biggest step toward your education in the area of learning videography, you found this site! Just do like I do and spend every spare minute you can, reading posts here and asking specific questions on what you are confused about. Use the search function to find specific topics and learn from them also.

You will be amazed what sinks in after spending hour after hour reading here. As an example, I went to a film club meeting about 1 1/2 months ago, where some pros were going to discuss the new HD cameras from JVC, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony. They talked for over two hours, and fielded questions, but in the end I did not learn a thing. I left very disappointed, but on the drive home it hit me. I did not learn anything because I already knew what they were going to say by reading all of it on this forum! Then instead of feeling bad, I felt very good about myself and all of the time I spend here. It is a great place to learn!

Best advice, don't become brand loyal, study how you will use your equipment and then get the best "TOOL" for your use. And, have fun!

Best of luck to you now, and after you get out, from a 7 year Army vet!

Mike
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks both of you for replying. I definately spend allot of time here now.

I read everything that sounds interesting, and allot that doesn't. I already am finding that the books I am reading have much less detail than what the users of this site write.

The readers here have been very generous in providing me ideas on how to do my project involving the recording of a cave I want to explore. This place is just great because of people like you.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood