Japan! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Douglas and Rik. I decided to take course right now. I will send my demo in all the post-production company in Japan (I got a nice list from a magazine) hoping there is a project supervisor somewhere who can speak english... mmm... I will ask my wife to put small stickers on each objects in the house with japanese names! aaargh, no, my 2 years old girl will take them all, obviously!
Thierry H. Fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Good luck, Thierry
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Thierry,

Learning Kanji and all that other stuff will be a headache as well, it's probably a good idea to have the wife also put the kanji characters on the stickers for everything as well.

You could ask the wife to start speaking in Japanese, in the house, as well. No time like the present to start learning, gaijin.

Start watching some japanese anime, with english subtitles, with your kids. You can hear what the character is saying and kind of start getting the idea for what the saying is compared with the subtitles. Of course, you want to listen to the male characters in movies and animes as speaking like a Japanese girl will sound pretty funny to your Japanese clientale. I say this as certain words are said differently by gender. Then again, it could be a big boon for you as well. They might think it's cute that a gaijin speaks like a girl.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi john, aaaaaaargh! I f I have to learn kanji, im a dead man! maybe I can remember "toilet" but thats it!

I know about the girl-boy thing... it will not be easy to manage especially cause my wife, not being a boy, have difficulty to find boys words... we aleady talk about that. Im starting doing the Pimsleur Lessons, learning japanese... its quite good I think... watching anime is a good way too! I already whatch miyazaki movies a lot with my daughter.

"They might think it's cute that a gaijin speaks like a girl" mmm... I prefer not! ;P I already have a problem with that "cute" attitude... my name Thierry is pretty close to a word meaning virgin in japanese... all the girls I meat there are always like KAWAAIIIIII! each time they ear my name! very embarassing...

anyway, thanks for the feedback!
t
Thierry H. Fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #20
Trustee

Jemore,
The clip is nice, makes me wanna buy HD200.
Soon, I will have more time so we can meet up.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Doug,
Welcome to this great site. I was stationed in Yokosuka while in the Navy, from 1988 to 1992 before returning to the States. My son and daughter then 6 and 3 learned Japanese very easy. We lived out in town for 2 years, before moving on base, and traded English for Japanese with the neighborhood kid's. We lived in a traditional Japanese house with Tatami mat floors, toilet on the floor, ect. Best experiance of my life! We even had an assortment of interesting creatures that lived in the house with us. The 6" leg spread harmless Benjo spiders kept the centipeds at bay. I used to love to go to the Akiahabra area of Tokyo, and shop for video equipment. My first Hi-8 camera was a Sony V-5000, that at that time was very Hi-tech. I bought 2 Misubishi HVV-7000 S-VHS VCR's to edit with. Those were really Hi-tech, and were sold as consumer products. Here in the U.S. they would have been considered Professional. Once we moved on base, we would have Japanese students come to our house and for dinner, and learn basic everyday English. I worked at the base cable TV station, on my off time...and one time we went to NHK studios to do a short story on the 3D TV cameras they were working on. They demo'd the video on their Sony HD TV's. At that time, it amazed me how far ahead of us they were in electronics. I now have a Sony Z1, Sony HC1 and an Sony XBR960 HDTV....and am finally retired from the Navy....and can now have fun shooting and editing video! Have a GREAT time living in Japan. Ray
P.S. Your videos are great, and brought back great memories of living in Japan.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #22
Major Player

Kaku thanks for the feedback, you know I'll be on Tokyo Television on May20th at 10pm I think, I helped with a shoot for them at an urayasu restaurant. Kaku lets definately hook up, I'm more than likely going to trade up to the HD200, so lets do multi-cam ey.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM   #23
New Boot

Another One in Osaka

Hi everyone! For my first post on this forum, I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself, and this looked like a good thread to do it in.

Hey, Rik, you're not the only one in Osaka. In fact, I noticed in your profile that you said Tamatsukuri - is that true? I live almost next door to the JR Tamatsukuri train station, so we might be neighbors! My husband and I moved here from Hiroshima four years ago (moved to Japan from our native U.S. in 1996).

I'm not a pro video person if you define "pro" as making a living at it, but what I do I try to do in as professional a manner as I can. I only got into video 3 1/2 years ago, but a long-time background in photography, music and sound production, and computers (engineering and programming as a career for ten years) really helped me shorten the learning curve. Steven Gotz on the Adobe Premiere Pro forum told me about this forum - it looks great so far, so I look forward to a long and happy relationship, giving and receiving useful knowledge with all you folks!
Karen Ellrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #24
ChorizoSmells

Karen,
hey, welcome to DVinfo. Yeah, very cool you live in Tamatsukuri, I live behind the Pachinko parlor, a big yellow building with a neon helicopter on top, in front of the park, outside the loop line. I bet if I yelled out KAREN!!! out my window you would probably hear me... :-) send me an email anytime, we ought to meet up for some coffee and trade stories, tips...etc.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM   #25
New Boot

Yup, I can see the helicopter from our apartment, and if I was a baseball pitcher I might be able to throw that far! I don't recommend yelling out your window at this time of night, but yes, we should do coffee, stories, and tips.

I think this "These Are the People in Your Neighborhood" forum is a great idea. Every now and then, someone is even in your literal neighborhood! :-)
Karen Ellrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #26
ChorizoSmells

My sister is here visiting me and she will soon go to Hiroshima, anything cool besides the Peace Dome she ought to check out? Here is my keitai email, send me an email and I'll send you my keitai number then you will have my contact info. XXXXX@docomo.ne.jp
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #27
New Boot

Hey Douglas =), small world huh?
Nick Dennerstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dennerstahl
Hey Douglas =), small world huh?
Hej Niklas, det var roligt att se dig här!

Nice Forum this!
I am sure you'll find lots of useful and interesting stuff here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood