from the philippines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 11th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #1
New Boot

from the philippines

hi!

my name is dan and i'm a britsh-filipino writer currently residing in manila, philippines. i am also an actor/artist with a passion for the visual arts, especially film. i am currently involved with production on a filipino music tv show called P-max that's airing in australia (the company i work for is a joint venture between aussies and filipinos). i co-host the show, along with three others, and i also work on post. our primary tools for the show are a canon XL1, FCP, serious magic's ULTRA, winmorph, and a sense of humor that we hope is actually funny beyond our small production rooms.

i am also in the initial stages of forming my own digital film production company which i, along with my friend, hope to launch between '06-07.

this forum is a goldmine of information and i am very happy to part of this community. DV is the future and if the activity on this site is any indication, the future is bright.

cheers!

dan
Daniel Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Nice to have you here, Dan! Yep, this is a pretty cool place, with good people involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Abbey
...and a sense of humor that we hope is actually funny beyond our small production rooms.
LOL. So....have you received feedback yet? Hope it's going well. Have fun putting together that new company, too. :)
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #3
New Boot

hi lorinda! yeah, we've had feedback from down under in the form of a few emails... mostly from kids who think we are insane but for some inexplicable reason seem to be compelling enough to watch every week. as for the company, thanks for wishing me luck. i do hope it's a success, will keep you informed:)

oh, do check out a short film i recently made while toying around with a digicam: http://www.chameabbey.com/daniel/The%20Waiting.mp4

thanks!
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hmm....maybe you should check out the DV Challenge forum here. We're waiting on a start date for the 6th Challenge. I think you'd enjoy getting in on the fun!

Your video certainly doesn't give too much away. Is the segment from over the woman's shoulder crucial to the story (what she's reading)? If so, could you give me a clue? :)
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #5
New Boot

the short film is sort of abstract - theres no story and its meant to be only a few minutes long (although im flattered you thought it was a clip from a larger film). i like the fact that it was made on a nikon digital camera and not a big league DV cam. just very, very basic tools (i even did the edit in windows movie maker!) theres something about toying with small time stuff because you know you're limited and you have to play within those limitations. it's raw (you can even see the auto-focus hard at work!) but i'd like to do more of these, really stretch the tools and see how you can use them to tell simple stories:)
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Daniel Im a fellow Pilipino videographer but here in Toronto
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #7
New Boot

hi billy! never been to canada but would love to one day. have a friend who's half canadian-filipino, works with ILM. thanks for the welcome dude:)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi Daniel

I am an expatriate living here in Washington state. Do you know if there are rental companies in Metro Manila? I am planning to do a family documentary. I do not want to bring all my gears.

My tentative plan is to fly there in Febuary 07. Have you heard of Louie L. Ignacio?

Cheers.

Del
Delfino L. Tiongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM   #9
New Boot

rental

hi del,

yeah, i can set you up with a few rental companies. what exactly would you like to rent?

Louie L. Ignacio? isnt he the guy who directed a paolo montalban video? you know him personally?

give me your email address dude and i'll see what i can do for you.

dan
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
hi!

my name is dan and i'm a britsh-filipino writer currently residing in manila, philippines. i am also an actor/artist with a passion for the visual arts, especially film. i am currently involved with production on a filipino music tv show called P-max that's airing in australia (the company i work for is a joint venture between aussies and filipinos). i co-host the show, along with three others, and i also work on post. our primary tools for the show are a canon XL1, FCP, serious magic's ULTRA, winmorph, and a sense of humor that we hope is actually funny beyond our small production rooms.

i am also in the initial stages of forming my own digital film production company which i, along with my friend, hope to launch between '06-07.

this forum is a goldmine of information and i am very happy to part of this community. DV is the future and if the activity on this site is any indication, the future is bright.

cheers!

dan

Hello Dan,

Am from the Philippines too far down south that is Cebu. Nice meeting you here and if you need something or someday would visit Cebu just give me a call i'd be more than willing to assist you.

Respecfully,

Julius Tan
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Welcome Aboard

Hi Dan! Nice to have you around, i am also a filipino base here in California.
i am a graphic artist by profession and a freelance videographer/editor during weekends. Me and my family will be there in the Philippines these July for a three week vacation. Im planning to bring my Xl1s camera to document our trip. Our itenerary is to the north (Baguio, La Union and Ilocus sur). I am thinking of selling the Xl1s when Im done documenting our travel. Do you know of anyone who might be interested of owning an Xl1s?

Thanks!
Rickey
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #12
New Boot

ricky

hi rick,

i dont know of anyone looking to buy an XL1, but i'll ask around. have a great trip dude!

dan
Daniel Abbey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood