Calfornia Anyone!? (SSF) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old September 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Calfornia Anyone!? (SSF)

I'm in South San Francisco in the bay area! Anyone else around here that would like to practice/shoot/collaberate? Where are the rest of you from?
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Mike, from Sacramento, Elk Grove. Definitely a different generation than you, but wanted to let you know someone is reading posts....

Thought I saw on your background that you had HVX200. If so, how do like it ?
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Hey Mike, from Sacramento, Elk Grove. Definitely a different generation than you, but wanted to let you know someone is reading posts....

Thought I saw on your background that you had HVX200. If so, how do like it ?
Hey Chris! Nice to know someones sort of near my area. Yeah the HVX200 is an awesome camera!!! Its really advanced compared to what I was using before, a cheap family-style sony handycam. Now I have so much control over my picture. What are you shooting with? If you have any more questions about the HVX200, just ask.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Started with Digital 8, TRV 720, then to VX2000, and now have the FX1- Nice thing is they all used the same batteries etc., so that helped keep on the Sony cart. InfoLithium stuff provides great reliable power.

1. Learning a lot about HDV with FX1, as I am sure you are. So is the HVX codec same as HDV, or what ? What are you editing HD with ?

2. One of issues I had with HVX200 what you do to archive footage. What are you doing for that ?
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Started with Digital 8, TRV 720, then to VX2000, and now have the FX1- Nice thing is they all used the same batteries etc., so that helped keep on the Sony cart. InfoLithium stuff provides great reliable power.

1. Learning a lot about HDV with FX1, as I am sure you are. So is the HVX codec same as HDV, or what ? What are you editing HD with ?

2. One of issues I had with HVX200 what you do to archive footage. What are you doing for that ?
To answer your first question, i do not believe the codec is the same at all. On the HVX200, you are not allowed to shoot HD (even interlaced HD ) onto miniDV. (only 480i). As you probably know, the format is called DVCPRO HD. I am editing my HD video with the Final Cut Studio suite. (Final Cut Pro, etc) The thing with HDV is that it is MEGA-COMPRESSED, and if you want to shoot on say a sony with HDV, and you are shooting in 24fps, it will take 24fps, however the pulldown ruins the 'HD aspect' The HDV will not only compress the video into Mpeg-2, but it will discard the interlaced frames and keep the progressive ones. So if you have a row of frames, two will be kept, three interlaced shots will be discarded, two will be kept and three discarded, and so on. So you lose frames and quality! The HVX200 is great because it shoots 720p 24p and keeps all 24 frames in that second!!! beautiful film-feel and great picture.

I dont have the cash right now to use P2 cards and en external firestore. (one 8GB P2 card will cost $1400!!!) If i shoot uncompressed HD (1 GB/min) I shoot tethered to my laptop via firewire. It works great because I can import straight to Final Cut Pro, and immediately see the footage or even edit it. NO IMPORTING!!!! (And its an external video monitor as well)
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #6
New Boot

san jose here.
James Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

"As you probably know, the format is called DVCPRO HD. I am editing my HD video with the Final Cut Studio suite. "

Actually, I haven't done a lot of looking at the HVX200, other than to wonder in some threads how you archive HD material without tape.

"The thing with HDV is that it is MEGA-COMPRESSED,"

I am actually pleased that they are compressing HD to HDV. It allows me to play a bit in the "HD" world without a massive investment. As I understand the way it works, is that the processor tries to interpret what will not change in a group of 15 or so frames, and just repeats that portion over and over again, in that group at recording. Room saved and if it works right, you aren't losing anything. Of course that is the trick.

" and if you want to shoot on say a sony with HDV, and you are shooting in 24fps, it will take 24fps, however the pulldown ruins the 'HD aspect' The HDV will not only compress the video into Mpeg-2, but it will discard the interlaced frames and keep the progressive ones. "

Yeah. FX1 doesn't shoot 24p. All 60 i. I understand if I shoot at 1/60, the footage will convert fairly nicely to 24p in some expensive programs, but I haven't gotten to that issue yet.

" The HVX200 is great because it shoots 720p 24p and keeps all 24 frames in that second!!! beautiful film-feel and great picture."

I have seen some neat stuff out the HVX200. You need to post some of your stuff when you can...

"I dont have the cash right now to use P2 cards and en external firestore. (one 8GB P2 card will cost $1400!!!) "

bummer !!

" If i shoot uncompressed HD (1 GB/min) I shoot tethered to my laptop via firewire. It works great because I can import straight to Final Cut Pro, and immediately see the footage or even edit it. "

I've actually tried that with HDV split and FX1 on the PC side. works pretty cool...

Waiting for the day these designers will put a laptop harddrive bay on board so we can slip drive in and out.
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

chris, thats awesome! at least u dont always have to tether your camera to get HD. (I would love that for practice with HD visuals!) Too bad the HVX200 doesn't shoot HDV though, its great to have, no doubt about it. I'm trying to do events (weddings, birthdays,etc) as a side job, and I am going to offer SD or HD, the thing is, I have to bring a laptop around with me at all times!!! So HDV is very handy!
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

hey james!!! we're like next door! got any sample work? NO ONE ELSE ON THIS SITE IS FROM CALI?! damn
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Michael,

I live in San Mateo... probably fifteen minutes south of you.

Richard
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Michael,

I live in San Mateo... probably fifteen minutes south of you.

Richard
sweet! yeah, maybe even 10 minutes away. What kind of films do you produce or shoot?
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rapadas
hey james!!! we're like next door! got any sample work? NO ONE ELSE ON THIS SITE IS FROM CALI?! damn
no. I am new to this scene.
James Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #13
New Boot

I just moved to Daly city. I am considering buying the HVX200. Michael Papadas how would you say the Hvx200 handles lowlight compared to the other hdv camcorders? also, how noise is it? I used the Dvx100 alot is it similair in terms of lowlight an noise? Last, have you had the chance to see the hvx200 on a big projector screen, if so how did it look? For me right know it is between the Canon xh a1 and hvx200.

Last edited by David Brown; September 15th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
David Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey Mike, I'm across the bay in oakland. Are you working on anything currently? I'd be down for a collaboration. Feel free to email me.

Jay
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm in frisco (Soma area) everyday for work. Hit me up if anyone wants to collab. I'm on an A1
Min Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood