Friend Of A Friend at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 8th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Friend Of A Friend

Hello to the community.

My wife and I own a small private k-8 school in Costa Mesa, California. We are a high academic school with an extreme emphasis on technology. We have 50+ computers for our 65 students. Our fourth through eighth grade students have computers on their individual desktops.

Our technology component has taken us anywhere from communicating with astronauts aboard the space shuttle to video conferencing with our students in France, Fiji, London, or Abu Dhabi in an extended absence from school program we developed.

Our latest foray is in the field of dv. Bob Jones, of Skycrane, is a very good friend of mine. He has donated many hours filming our school events that raise scholorships for needy families. It is throuh his prodding that we now are developing a multi-media/dv program of our own.

In closing, I would just like to state that I have been "lurking" here for the past nine or so months and couldn't be more impressed with the integrity and quality of this board.

Keep up the great work Chris and friends. It is through helping others that we gain the most.

Sean (Mr. B)
Sean Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Great to have you here Sean, please tell Bob and Barb that I said hello!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #3
Tourist

10-4 Chris. Thanks for the welcome.
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #4
ChorizoSmells

Mr. B,
welcome aboard, your schools sounds great, I wish there were schools like that when I was growing up.

I'm curious to know what type of computers your school has and what DV software you guys are planning to use?

see you on the boards!
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #5
Tourist

Hi Rik:

Yes, we do feel our school is quite unique.

Our computers are PCs of all types. Several have been sent in by parents of our students when they decide to upgrade. We accept anything they throw our way as we can always find something in it to use if it is not fully functioning.

The rest the 7th and 8th grade students build. I go out to the local computer shows, collect a bunch of components, and we have a workshop during the summer where they put them together. This is what makes it affordable, not to mention that when something goes wrong, I don't have to drop everything and go fix a problem; I just send a student to do the house call. They also maintain the network for the same reason. This last summer we built 8 AMD 1.8 GHZ machines and they are all humming away. If you're interested, you can see last year's workshop at http://www.klineschool.com/rm6/html/computers.html

We have been using Media 100's "Cinestream" for our DV software as it seems pretty straightforward for the kids. We are also looking into "Vegas Video" but that may have to wait until the summer break so I can sit down and spend some time with it.

So enough about my gig. How about yourself? What sent you down the DV track?

Sean
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<The rest the 7th and 8th grade students build....This is what makes it affordable, not to mention that when something goes wrong, I don't have to drop everything and go fix a problem; I just send a student to do the house call. They also maintain the network for the same reason.>>

If that isn't an example to schools all over the world on how to run a school, I don't know what is. Great, great program Sean.
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:18 AM   #7
Tourist

Thanks John. Thanks a ton. We just feel that the higher you set the bar, the higher the kids (our future citizens) can jump.
Sean Butler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood