Central California at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old December 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Tourist

Central California

Hello everyone. My name is Randall Ayers and I'm from Bakersfield California. At the moment the only kind of gear I have is a Consumer Panasonic PV-GS200. I'm gathering a lot of knowlege from this and other sites as to which camera I will purchase next. I believe I'm down to the Panasonic AG-DVX100a/b and the Canon XH A1. I know the A1 is an HDV camera but i've heard that HDV is a bit harder to work with, especially editing, and with HDV not having that long of a reputation I didnt know if I should hold off on it.. or if it's the next hot thing and I should get it while I can. I just dont want to get the DVX and in a year or so have it be outdated and be out some money so thats why I'm here... and that's what I'm determined to find out.

Glad to meet you all
-Randall
Randall Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A1 will do both record in both DV and HDV, as well as output HDV and DV for capture purposes, so that is an obvious benefit, if that is your primary concern.
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
RED Code Chef

Hi Randall, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Randall,

I grew up in Fresno, so its good to see some other valley folk on here. As Chris points out the A1 covers both sides of the spectrum. You don't have to shoot in HDV. I think your concerns are valid though with the DVX becoming outdated, but it is a great camera and I still get requests for it from clients several times a month (I primarily shoot Beta SP). HD requests are far fewer but that is gradually changing. Purchasing a camera is a big step and not something you want to repeat in a year, so having an HDV option for the future makes some sense. I actually have been looking at the XH G1 to replace my DVX. Good luck with the purchase and let us know what you end up with!

Cheers,
David
David Elkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood