Canon EOS Shooter,may add XL1,advice would be appreciated at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 9th, 2003, 04:56 AM   #1
Tourist

Canon EOS Shooter,may add XL1,advice would be appreciated

Well I have been a photographer for awhile and I am thinking of branching out into video as well,for a person just starting out what advice would you give?I saw a used XL1 with 25 hrs on it for 4500 CND,is spending the extra dollers justified on the S model?.Also I have noticed there seems to be not only the shootings aspects to learn in this field but editing,is it worth it to hire a person that is only interested in creating the finished product instead of investing more time and money in software,learning how to use it well and so on?.This reminds me of photgraphy in a way where you have the phographer doing what they love and a printer doing what there good at.Is it difficult to get good at both for a person that is of average iq like myself,hahaha.At the moment I am considering stock footage and the basics.Is there money to be made in this field as a second income?this business is very much like photography,getting the shots,the breaks,the good idea to creat new markets and so on. Any advice would be appreciated,by the way,I act and feel younger than my birth date of 1962,point being!I cant afford to waist my time and solid advice would be great.Thanks all.Cheers.
Andrew Waddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'm not sure what a used XL-1 would cost in CND, but a good solid used XL-1 should sell for around $2,500 USD depending accessories, etc.

The S is a better cam. Many of the features left out on the old XL-1 were added to the S. Further the low-light performance is better on the S. That said, the old XL-1 is still an excellent cam.

The photography aspects of any camcorder is the hardest to learn. If you are good with a still cam, chances are you will probably adapt just fine to a camcorder. Of course there is more to learn since things are both moving and making sound, since that is what camcorders are about anyway.

Making money, is always an issue. Can you make money? Sure. At what is always the question. Wedding videos can be profitable. I could shoot them now if I wanted to. I think Dylan Cooper might have a few words about this, after he was volunteered.

Editing. Sure you can. Remember editing is an art just like photography. Some people are good at it, some aren't. Those that truly are and get paid for it charge for their skills. If you'd rather do it yourself, the really good news is that there are turnkey systems out there for reasonable amounts of money.

Hope this helps,

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

Hi Andrew. Welcome. I sent you email re: the used XL1 question. I think it depends what your intending to shoot. It's true that the XL1S has better low light shooting but actually it's not as good as what you would be used to in stills photography in general. Like all shooting, good lighting will make anything look great. I envy someone who came from a good stills photography background as my learning curve is a lot steeper going straight from animation right into video.
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

going from still to video& the XL1

Great, if you love photography, you have a great time going from still to video. Invest in a few courses, or find a good videographer and hang out with him/her.
I also have a strong still background and during the past 30 years, have gone back and forth on different assignments, and enjoyed it very much. The XL1 is a great little camera, lots of pro features, the XL1s has some good improvements, but the XL1 is a good starter camera (unless you can find a great deal on the 1S). I also had an XL1, loved it, used it and now I am upgrading to the XL1s. After having to lug large pro-cameras around in the field, I loved the XL1, what a treat, great image, light weight, but still well balanced, not too light.
Better buys area avail. for the XL1, but ask how many hours are on it and if the viewfinder has had the factory mod done to it (review the XL1 site for tech details and Cannon's site).
There are also many good books on basic video photography, invest in one.
Get your camera, and have fun, worry about weither is will pay later!
Al Holston
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #5
Wrangler

Welcome!

Hey Andrew!
Another Vancouverite! There are alot of us here now, beware world!

Anyway, a used XL1 sells for $3500-$4000cdn for just the camera in Vancouver. I think a 25 hour XL1s is VERY reasonably priced at $4500cdn.

As far as the learning goes, there are lots of similarities and differences to still photography, plus the whole editing thing. There are alot of benefits to hiring someone to do it for you, like not having to invest in the equipment. Renting the equipment is also advisable, unless you are getting a couple jobs a month.
Certainly, you could find quite a few capable people from this forum in Vancouver that would likely help you out.

As far as money, there is money to be made in practicaly any field, if you know your market and have the skills to compete.
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #6
Tourist

Thanks to all that are responding,great site.

Well the info I have read has been helpfull,I am still wondering if I should invest in a camera thou,I would not consider this a hobby of mine,money has to be made and it maybe a nice add on to still photography,I have found from reading lots of posts that there are lots of people doing this as a side line,or trying to figure how to make some money in the field,seems like it's as competative as photography.Well again thanks all.Cheers
Andrew Waddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

From still to Video

Go for it -- you will find video offers more creatrive opportunities and you can have fun learning. You can make it pay, find a market in your area that is NOT being covered -- and find a way to fill that need, then market yourself. First practice with the new equipment until you are very confident with it. You don't want to show up and your first shoot and be flailing around needlessly.
Good luck. et all

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood