DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hi From Los Angeles, California (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/9612-hi-los-angeles-california.html)

Christian Calson March 28th, 2002 02:57 PM

Hi From Los Angeles, California

working on a feature film length project consisting of 3 controversial shorts that deal with underground/outcast members of society. have gone into some serious debt picking up production equipment to help keep costs down. currently raising cash to start shooting mid-summer 02. if you love verow, fassbinder, and kubrick films, then good. so do i. write me if you like.

Ken Tanaka March 28th, 2002 03:39 PM

Welcome Digital Guy

I'm sure that many, if not most, of us would love to hear about your production plans and progress when you get rolling. What type of gear are you planning to use for the feature?

Christian Calson March 28th, 2002 04:58 PM

thanks for your kind words

Thanks for your kind and welcoming reply. I am working with an XL1 NTSC (trying to swap out for a PAL version, actually) with the 14x manual lens. I would love to get the 16:9 Optex lens, but it only fits on the Canon's 16x automatic. I am trying to avoid shooting with that lens since I heard not so great things about it and I like the control the manual lens gives me.

I put a grand or so into sound package consisting of a decent mic (senheiser me-80, the pre me-60) and a nice pole and ma-100. I purchased a glidecam 3000 pro and a decent mac to edit. I was a PC guy before. Got some decent lights that could use a good upgrade, but maybe not right now.

The video/film is in thirds. The first story is about a guy who gets way over his head at a bar one night when he hangs with his work buddy. The second is in part a reaction to some of the 'cruising laws' we have in west hollywood as well as a response to Pat Califa's book on Public Sex. The third is another story about a guy who's way in over his head, when he puts up an online personal ad and gets a response from an underage boy who is agressivly trying to get something started with him. The current working title is 'bareback'.

Regards,

Christian Calson
Nebunule Films

Adrian Douglas March 28th, 2002 08:26 PM

Sounds like you're pretty set up to shoot.

I'm sure you'll have some interesting experiences shooting a film on a controversial subject. LA is certainly the place, there is so much social diversity you'll have and endless source of subjects.

Good luck

John Locke March 28th, 2002 10:37 PM

Christian,

Did you write all three yourself? Sound like interesting premises.

Good luck in your shooting.

Ken Tanaka March 29th, 2002 11:15 AM

D-G,

Regardless of forum policies, I think most of us are most interested in the art and science of digital filmmaking. Whether one of our colleagues is using the tools to shoot lifestyle dramas or a remake of Gone with the Wind is immaterial. (As long as it's legal, that is <g>.) This really is a place to exchange information and ideas. We leave the flaming and bashing to other forums.

Glen Irvine March 29th, 2002 11:22 AM

Chris,

As a new user, I deeply appreciate the integrity of this message board
and those who are using it. The policy obviously works well. Congrats to
all those involved. Glen

msmithhisler March 29th, 2002 03:41 PM

Christian,

I have the utmost respect for anyone who puts their butts out on a limb (as it sounds like you have) to realize their artistic vision. Best of luck to you in your productions and let us know if we can help.

Mark Smithhisler

Christian Calson April 4th, 2002 03:18 PM

thanks

I'm kind of sticking my neck out a little for some of the stuff I'm trying to show and tell about in these stories. The more the three scipts get reworked and refined the more I struggle with issues like nudity and ratings (since, although I'm not sure a distributor will want to spend a lot on a no name director, with a no name cast, with an nc-17 or worst 'no rating' rating). Not to mention how frienly SAG and agents are about even the 'idea' of it are. Maybe I should be making violent/war movies. That would slide much easier. They have no idea how hard it is to light and write this stuff at all. I had an agent who's asst. was hysterical with me on the phone (not having read the script, but just going on the idea of what I was doing), only to have her collegue (who had read the script) come on the line to say 'it's not as nasty or raunchy as I thought.' When you're micro-budget agents just think the worst of you, without question.

As far as equipment goes, I might be adding another mic (AT-835B; I have the ME-80, already) to the production so that I don't have to worry should the one we have fail. The MA-100 has two inputs and why not use them both (for effects, stereo capture, or back-up), right? I got a bodypod attachment for the glidecam 3000 pro (which I've had for a little while). The bodypod works really well, but you do have to learn how to walk a certain way. The shots I get are pretty decent and well worth the fact I didn't spend what the going rate for the v-8, even though it would be easier on my arm and chest, in the end.

I'd really like to do a sci fi video/film, as well- in case any of you guys out there know of anything or anyone with a decent vision/idea. This sort of approaches the style/method of 'Lolita' and I'd love to do the same, where we take a feel or ground for a film and hopefully grow beyond it, with some of the stuff in 2001. The sequels 2010 and 2015 were such failures (I saw 2010) that it was more of an attempt to capitalize on a 'sort of' franchise, rather than tell a story.

I'd like to know if there any other guys out here in LA working with their equipment. I meet so many other xl-1 owners who are just selling their equipment because they don't use it that it's kind of bumming me out a little. That kind of blows, so does all the mean talk about dv and blow ing up to film. I read this huge string the other day on here where some memeber(s) really got into it. No wonder some guys just call it quits and sell their gear and move on. It's really great to hear such nice things from you guys. I wish we could connect so I could know more about what you all are doing and using to do it with. Best of luck until then.

Christian Calson
Los Angeles
NebunuleFilms@yahoo.com

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2002 03:22 PM

<< I read this huge string the other day on here where some memeber(s) really got into it. >>

Are you sure it was here? We've had some healthy debates on occasion but they've always been very civil compared to other message boards.

Christian Calson April 4th, 2002 03:35 PM

thanks Chris

I should watch my words, I guess. 'Got into it' sounds pretty heavy. Because it was pretty civil, although heated. Words in print sound very different then they would if said in person or in your mind. This really the best of the boards out there. Hence why I wrote this so quickly in response.

Regards,

Cc

Ken Tanaka April 4th, 2002 03:59 PM

Christian,
I'm betting that the "heated discussion" that you read was one concerning film -vs- video. It was...err...vigorous ;-> but civil. The really nice part about that, and other "vigorous" threads is that everyone generally learns something new from such discussions.

Re: your initiatives don't become discouraged. You are fortunate to be in a town where the very concept of visual story-telling is part of the popular culture and where resources (talent, supplies, knowledge, et.al.) are plentiful. But, in the same vein, you are also unfortunate to be in a town filled with frustration, fear, failure and safe conformity. As someone once told me many years ago, the headwinds are strongest on those in motion. My meager advice, for whatever it may be worth, is to focus every waking hour on what you -have- rather than what you need. I've seen that point of view propel people to incredible heights in other professions by keeping them from becoming defacto victims of naysayers. Suddenly you can find yourself leading rather than following.

If I was in LA I'd certainly be inclined to work on a project with ya!

Rob Lohman April 5th, 2002 07:40 AM

I can only add that I totally agree with whats being said. There
are some nice debates here and you generally learn very much.
If I look back to the time I joined (almost 6 months ago?) I've
learned very much from reading these discussion and participating
in them.

Christian, it sounds like you have enough ideas and things
todo. Good for you! If I'd lived in the US I would be very
interested in doing something together. But hey, where like
a day flying apart.

Perhaps I should consider moving to the US for a while. It has
always been a thing I wanted to do. But then I would need to
find a job somewhere.....

Phil French April 6th, 2002 03:05 PM

Welcome! I think the best thing about DV is it gives people from such a diverse set of backgrounds a medium to express themselves. We are living in a world where most of us, if we feel the inclination, can introduce the rest of the world to our experiences - no matter what they are. This is a chance for us all learn from each other. The very fact that that the people on this site do what they do tells me that you won't be under attack re: "the whole queer thing" (guidelines or not).

Good luck on what sounds like an interesting endeavour!

Nathan Gifford April 7th, 2002 08:59 AM

Watchdog does a great job here.

'Lesbian Cop Saves the World' really demonstrates how the forum approaches controversial subjects. Chris, et al, shows exactly how to handle these subjects in DV forum. I am sure this one will be handled with the same class.

I hope this forum always maintains its high quality and valauble exchange of ideas.

Nathan Gifford

Christian Calson April 12th, 2002 03:27 PM

update

thanks for the kind words, again. i'll be finishing up and polishing up the script(s) this coming week.

i recently got a light set (smith victor & background) in addition to my home depot bought industrial lights (that appeared greenish after a while i think).

I've been practicing lighting 1 person then a couple at home, since I need the practice with lighting 2 people as they are walking or moving around in a space. I'd rather see first off if there's a way to do it cheaply without just cutting it out or keeping everyone close up or medium shots (no moving).

Mounting lights on the camera or having a crew of at least 1 or 2 around the camera moving does help, but the shadows are still problematic.

There's a great book I finshed by Christine Vachon (sp?) called 'Shooting to Kill'. Pretty informative, actually. Marcus Hu (if you know the name then you know he's helped produce some risky stuff) even does a page and half in there). It's all about producing indie flicks. It's good to get an idea of how you really do have to spend some money to make people keep interested, but it also emphasizes the importance of a good script (over and over again) and knowing your equipment and how to produce some good looking shots.

I'll be going after more money when the script is done and I've just stopped fussing with it, hopefully by May. I'll probably post stuff on here but in the financing and distribution message areas. The game plan is to see if I can tie any talent that someone would recognize. If that doesn't gel at all, then I'll just keep working on money.

These boards are of so much support, I can't even say enough in a way that would show it. But I log on here everyday and check stuff out. I wish you all well and will post again after a few weeks. I need to commit myself to the script w/o interruption. If anyone wants to keep in touch, my email is:

boypan@yahoo.com

or

nebunulefilms@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Christian Calson

Clarence Walker March 31st, 2003 11:36 AM

Newbie from Studio City, California

Want to say hello to everyone. This is by far the best DV site I've ever seen. I especially like how civil the banter is here.

Good solid advice from people who seem to love what they do.

Couple of things:

First, I'm looking for events in the Los Angeles area that I can film. Just to practice the craft. I've gone to 3rd street Promenade and shot the street performers. City Walk. Venice beach... Any festivals? Outdoor concerts? Getting restless...

Are there other places anyone can recommend to shoot?

Second, is there a good community college you can recommend in the area? Looking to get some more experience with Adobe Premiere, and lighting design.

As I'm setting up my Video Business, I want to stay sharp.

Thanks,

Clarence

Mark Argerake April 1st, 2003 08:14 AM

Welcome -

Sorry, no advice on LA, but just wanted to say hi.

Rob Lohman April 3rd, 2003 06:47 AM

Welcome Clarence! Since I haven't even been to LA ever I cannot
help you there. However, there is a thread on LA and things to
do there which can be found here. Perhaps that
might be useful or you can find a place to hang out or ask other
people who might know!

Clarence Walker April 3rd, 2003 10:22 AM

THANKS

Mark and Rob, I really appreciate the greetings and the advice.

Clarence

Charles Papert April 4th, 2003 01:12 AM

Clarence, I produce a weekend filmmaking festival in LA called "Instant Films" (www.instantfilms.tv). We just completed our seventh festival and are going strong. We are looking for someone to shoot documentary footage of our next festival to be used in a new version of a video we screen at the beginning of the festival that explains the process. Any interest in this? It's a really great process to be involved with, I think you will enjoy it. Take a look at the site and some of the films, and let me know!

Mark Argerake April 4th, 2003 08:27 AM

Hey Clarence - you should jump on Charles's offer. If you're not interested, I am.

Clarence Walker April 4th, 2003 10:45 AM

SOUNDS GREAT

Hello Charles:

The site looks great. I love the idea of having an "instant" deadline, because that's when I'm at my best. There's some very talented people involved in your program. I was impressed with the quality and creativity of the films.

I'd love to talk to you about shooting some docu. footage.

You can email me at: clarencew@fox.com (M-F) or clarencew194@cs.com on Sat & Sun.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Clarence

Richard Sanford May 7th, 2003 06:48 PM

community colleges in LA

I'm new to the forum, also. We live in northeast LA . I have taken classes at Los Angeles Community College in film related topics.
Also, I've heard that Los Angeles Valley College near you has extensive classes. You might check these out. Richard

Bryant Sentosa May 14th, 2003 01:30 AM

Hi From Los Angeles, California

Hi All,

I new am very new to DV. I think this has to be the most informative forum I have ever run into. I just wanted to say Hi and tell a you a little about myself.

Coming May 30th, I decided to take an interest when the Los Angeles Film School offered a 6 week digital film making course. I think the course is actually to provide a "crash" course in movie making, rather than be a Mini DV course. The course starts May 30th, 2003 and for $6500 they supply me with a GL2. The course fo the course without the GL is $4500. Is $2000 a good price for a GL2?

My Background:
I graduated with a BS degree in computers from a California State University. After working in "Corporate America" for a decade, I realized I hated waking up each and every morning. Each day I would try and find a reason not to go to work.

I have no film background but I've taken a 2nd AC course at Panavsion through the UCLA Extensions.

My Goal:
Ever since being a kid I had always wanted to be in the field of entertainment. So much that I search for computer jobs for Studios, and finally landed one at Universal for 6 years. As much as it was an entertainment company, and I thought it was enough to subdue my passion for making movies, it wasn't. I want to be a part of the movie or television process. When I was at Universal I would sneak on set of what ever was shooting that day and I would observe the crew from the minute they go there till the wrap of the shoot. I was never really close to the action, I would watch from a quite a distant as to not get caught and not to be in the way of the working crew.

Me Now:
So after six years they laid me off. I've been unemployed for close to six months and living off savings. I recently bought my first house middle of next years and I just had a little girl seven weeks ago.
Unemployed for six month, house mortgage, new baby, and my savings dwindling what do I do now?. I decided go to this 6 week film making course. Probably not the smartest thing to do. You can usually make this type of decision when your young and single, but now I'm 30. Everyone around me thinks I’ve gone off the deep end, but my wife (my biggest supporter).

I've always been interested in camera work for television and or film. If there is anyone out there, currently working in the field and if it's not too much trouble, would it be possible for me observe you on the set. I want to see what it takes, and see if I have what it takes. I will be the fly on the wall. Or if anyone has any advice or recommendation I would surely appreciate it.

Again, Hi to all.

Sincerely,
Bryant Sentosa

P.S. Sorry it was so long...

Rob Lohman May 14th, 2003 02:17 AM

Welcome aboard Bryant! Thank you for posting such a good
introduction to yourself. Much appreciated. I admire your
courage to do all this with a family and I can imagine some
people might think you have lost it. Do keep the family alive
though :)

I certainly feel some of the things you do/did. Especially the
waking up each morning and thinking about why I bother
at all. I am also working in the computer business at the moment
and trying to do some movie work (which is hard to do next
to a very very demanding job). I'm currently 25.

As I'm not situated in the US I cannot help you out with the
request to visit a movie set (I myself would love to visit a "real"
set one day too, but that is virtually impossible here in Holland)
so I hope someone else will chime in for that.

Good luck with your studies and your new life!

Aaron Rosen May 27th, 2003 06:05 AM

Bryant -

What kind of computer work did you do? I may be interested in your services.

You can e-mail me if you like.

Thank You.

- Aaron

Bryant Sentosa May 27th, 2003 07:06 AM

Hi Aaron,

I was a Senior Technical Analyst/Lead at Universal Studios for the messaging (email) team. Our job was to design, implement, and maintain a 35,000+ International seat Exchange 5.5 mail system.
We were third level support for all unresovlable issues. Our department was in charge of all mail related mail issues, server backup/restores, hardware failure, software upgrades (OS), and initial network diagnosis.

I hope that helps. What kind of work are you offering?

Bryant

Charles Papert August 26th, 2003 01:46 AM

Just want to throw this out there. Or is that "in here"??

Thanks to this forum, I enlisted Bryant to join me on last weekend's Instant Film festival. He came on as a PA for my most recent directing effort with Instant Films (www.instantfilms.tv), and did a great and tireless job for the shoot. He's a good guy with a great attitude, so if anyone has any bones to throw him, please do so! I will be sure to call him for future projects.

Michael Kowal August 28th, 2003 01:53 PM

Hi Bryant,

I have a friend who's currently shooting, and I'm gearing up to do a feature (PD150) this fall. I'd love to talk, maybe see if there's anything I can help you with. And of course - I'll definitely be needing some help myself! Let me know.

Take care,

Michael
mkowal100@hotmail.com

Bryant Sentosa August 29th, 2003 01:14 AM

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you very much Charles for the kind words. I had a great time working with you. I hope we can do it again.

I met some wonderful people who were willing to share their technical skills as well as their life experiences in the entertainment industry. They were so willing to open up and share so much information with a newbie.

Thank you for bringing me onboard for the shoot.

Barry Jenkins January 25th, 2006 12:30 AM

Los Angeles by way of Florida

Hey all,

I'm a Florida transplant living here in LA. Actually, I'm leaving LA to bop around the country for a year and get this restless youth thing out of my system before I settle down and truly dig into filmmaking.

I was trained at the film school at Florida State University. Was introduced to the moving image by way of a hundred foot spool of reversal ektachrome and a wind up Bolex. From there I spent three and half years shooting and directing about a dozen shorts on DVCam, 16 and Super 16 (Arri SR2, Arri SR3).

Two of those shorts played all over and captured a few prizes here and there. And while most of what I learned in school IS applicable to shooting on these camcorders, the terminology and variables are so different I feel as though I'm back to square one.

Hope you folks don't mind me lurking around with an occasional word or two. Looking to get up to speed on things by following the discourse here.

-Barry

Rob Lohman January 27th, 2006 12:56 PM

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Barry, good to have you with us!

James Rhodes August 7th, 2006 03:44 PM

Los Angeles based Producer moving to the Northwest, looking to expand rolidex...

Looking to expand my Rolidex and meet some new shooters and editors in the Pacific Northwest.

I will be producing Documentaries, on a wide variety of topics, as well as travel and touring videos.

I am looking for the following:

Great area rental houses ( HD and SD )
Shooters experienced with HDV and HD, please provide link to online reel
Editors, working in Final Cut Pro , please provide online reel
Production Assistants and Interns ( looking for photo assistants as well )

All applicants should email to : ontherhodes@mac.com

Cheers,
James

Andrew Olson September 15th, 2006 09:24 AM

Los Angeles Area

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say hi and see who's from the LA area. Eventhough I don't work in it full time, I love the industry. I like the directing and producing side of things and also do some grip, editing and visual effects work too. Anyways, that's pretty much it about me, just thought I'd introduce myself.

Rob Lohman September 15th, 2006 11:28 AM

Hi Andrew, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Pat Griffin April 20th, 2007 12:45 AM

Composer in LA says "Hi!"

Always have been a little shy to proclaim a musical voice in DVI network, but I've made my own HD films as a hobby for 1 year so maybe I fit in a little now! I guess the technology and opportunity for amateur film makers and how it changes everyday is quite exciting. I've learned thru messing around with my own movies that if I ever want to see a story or idea turn into something, I need to hire pros!

And speaking of pros, I've made a solid living as a film composer for 16 years in Hollywood. My schedule is fairly open now and I'm looking for that next movie/TV show/quality project to score. I've worked on bugets from low-budget MIDI scores to A-Film full orchestra ones. I rarely do freebees but if you have a blow-away mind-boggling quality project, let me take a look!

My long-term goal is to even out my scoring hours somehow and get into writing and production as well. Let's collaborate! Feel free to review my resume and music samples at grifmusic.com Thanks!

Dale Baglo April 20th, 2007 01:41 AM

Hi Pat. I checked out your website and you write some great stuff. Good job! I too am more of a musician than a videographer, being a pro jingle writer (and commercial narrator). Just wondering for your midi scores, do you have a favorite orchestral sample library you like these days. I'm making do with MOTU's symphonic instrument, but I do crave some of the big East West libraries.

Oh, and before I forget... I recognized one of the albums you played on "Schools Out Christmas". I have it! I even featured some of the songs on a radio show that I syndicate. Small world, eh? (Sorry, it's a requirement of being a Canadian that I do that.)

Pat Griffin April 20th, 2007 01:06 PM

yeah, sample libraries are evolving and improving along with computer and video technology. I'm never happy with my virtual orchestra but they are getting better. VSL has the top-notch Vienna Instruments library but only the full versions play in "Universal Mode" which is the most life-like you can get with switching samples in real time as you play naturally. The bonus is they now play on OSX and not just PC Gigasampler anymore. Sadly the whole library is more than $10,000 but they do make Vienna Instruments Special Edition with limited samples for $500. I purchased the First Edition VSL library and use combination of that, East West basic edition, as well as older libraries from Miroslav Vit, Quantum Leap brass, Advanced Orchestra woodwinds, and even some stuff I found online. I would like to pick up a few other smaller libraries because each one has strengths and weaknesses. I also have high hopes for advanced synth modeling starting to come out as Pianteq and Synful, but they are just beginning.

I remember the first time I sat in the room when a 78 piece Los Angeles recording orchestra played back my cues. After hearing just the MIDI stuff for so long, I was almost moved to tears! Too bad everyone doesn't have budgets for this and too bad it is so costly. Actually, more and more people are hiring orchestras out of town and overseas these days, and the quality is improving - it has the unions in an uproar! But what are people supposed to do? They must be able to make the films they want and get the sound and music they need!

Jeremy M. Dayton June 25th, 2007 04:05 PM

Hello from Burbank, CA

HI all-
Great to be a member of the DV fraternity. I love these style of forum sites- of which I have experience and enjoy immensely. I'd love to meet more people in and around the Los Angeles area working in the Videography biz. I need 2nd shooters quite often- and I plan on being here frequently to inquire when I need information. All the best!
http://www.1acerex1.com
Jeremy