"Film, at least for me, is dead" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 30th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

"Film, at least for me, is dead"

I know this forum is typically about technical issues in regards to the HV20, but I found this interview with David Lynch (one of my favorite directors) about his new movie. I thought it might be of interest to fellow HV20-ers, particularly since, I feel, the camera he uses isn't even as good as the HV20. I know its easy to get caught up in technical issues and debates about whether film or video is better, if you NEED a pro camera to shoot a film, yadda yadda yadda, but this interview gave me a nice perspective, especially coming from a director such as David Lynch.

I thought it might inspire, if it is too off topic, feel free to move/delete. The video is on this page...

http://www.amazon.com/Lynchs-Inland-...5797687&sr=8-1
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from HV20 to TOTEM.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that link Adam. I think he shot that with a PD150? Unbelievable...he thinks that film is dead and the internet is the way to go. I didn't know who he really was until a couple of months ago and then I realized that I have seen just about all of his work before. With that said...I take his comments with a lot of weight....I feel that there will be some sort of paradigm shift in regards to movie making and distribution.

The guy is kind of quirky....but then again, show me a genious who isn't.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

he's done a lot of cool stuff, and yes, very quirky. i think this film was still put back on film for the actual movie theater screenings...i cant wait to see it, im sure it will be odd. also, the pd150 is a standard def 4:3 camera, so i believe i read the widescreen mode he shot in was like 300 lines of resolution...thats nuts!
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

David Lynch is always an interesting man to listen too, and this interview proves it again (although I'm not a very big fan of his movies, I enjoyed quite some of them).
What he says about the internet and shooting digital is really interesting!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Major Player

From what little I know of him he seems like someone that I would love to work with. Like the kind of individual who can help bring out the best in your craft.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media