DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Why da homies be dissin' my cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/10214-why-da-homies-dissin-my-cam.html)

Adrian Douglas May 29th, 2003 08:05 AM

Josh,

I would go for 7.62 mm and the 5.56 round can be diverted from it's trajectory by a blade of grass and as the people dissin the XL obviously have extremely narrow minds and probably don't know DV from VD you are going to need the extra stopping power.

Keith Loh May 29th, 2003 11:44 AM

The solution is to shoot something great and compare the work, not the cameras. The proof is in the product, not the tools.

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 01:12 PM

It's annoying when people seem to think that if they have some new camera they'll be able to do all this great stuff that they couldn't do in 30p, simply because the camera has 24p.

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 01:42 PM

Shooting in PAL, I'm not so sure that 24fps is really that different. I could stand to be corrected.

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 02:12 PM

Ah, yes my friend, but I'm using NTSC.

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 02:26 PM

I figured that. But I'm shooting in PAL.

And my dad's bigger than your dad.

(That last bit's probably a lie, since my dad's shrunk a lot since I was a nipper)

Dylan Couper May 29th, 2003 02:27 PM

Possible responses to people dissing your camera:

"Oh, this thing (holding up XL1)? I dunno, my woman got it for me for my birthday so I could video tape family meetings and stuff, but I always end up with footage of my feet." (star laughing and walk away).

"Yeah, it's basically just an add on to my mini35 system. You have one of those too right? (look of shock) What, you mean you actually use the lens that CAME with your camera?" (start laughing and walk away).

Get the EOS adapter and a nice big Canon 400mm lens. Say "mine's bigger than your's is".

(next comment not directed at or in defense of any camera group in particular, since the XL1 could be just as guilty)...
If all else fails say "Only poseurs and amateurs think that buying the latest gadget laden camera will make their productions better."

And finally, grab their camera and smash it on the floor. Say "ITS NOT SO GOOD NOW, BI-ACH!"

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 02:49 PM

All good ideas. I wish I had the mini35. I mean, I wouldn't, you know, pay money for it, or anything, but if someone left it and a Zeiss prime lens outside my house, I wouldn't hold it against 'em.

And of course when buying the cam, I didn't compare it to anything else. I read a lot about it, but no comparison to a PD150 or anything.

Michael Middleton May 29th, 2003 03:11 PM

Definitely the Houston traffic. Stick with the Bell Tower, just avoid the Transco (or whatever it's called now), I work too close to that one!

Michael

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 03:35 PM

Are you here in H-Town (as the kids say)? Wanna throw any work my way?

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 08:03 AM

You know you can always incorporate some of this anger in one
of your movies. How else do you think all these action/thriller/
horror and other "destroy" movies get made?

Michael Middleton May 30th, 2003 09:08 AM

Yep, I'm in H-Town, but unless you're a network integrator I can't throw any work your way. I'm a hobbiest, at best, in the video world! ;-)

Michael

Josh Bass May 30th, 2003 10:48 AM

Damn, thanks anyway Michael.

Yes, I thought of some movie where people go to war over their XL1ses and PD150s, but then I thought, "wait there's only 12 people in the entire world who would find this even remotely funny or even know what the hell I'm talking about." So, one more idea for the toilet.

Nigel Moore May 30th, 2003 01:31 PM

'Tis a shame. It had promise. I particularly liked the idea of the unleashing allmighty 3 CCD hellfire scene.

Ah well....

Rob Lohman June 2nd, 2003 09:53 AM

That was a funny "scene" indeed