DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Why da homies be dissin' my cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/10214-why-da-homies-dissin-my-cam.html)

Josh Bass May 28th, 2003 11:28 PM

Why da homies be dissin' my cam?

There seems to be a lot of anti-XL1s sentiment. It pisses me off; I love this camera. I have all these people telling me all this crap about how they don't like the camera, how the picture's too yellow, how the AGDVX100 is a higher end camera. I'm going to start sniping from a belltower pretty soon! What's with all the hate? We all know that 3 chip miniDV cameras in the 3-5 thousand dollar price range are all about the same, with a pro here and a con there. Do these people not understand that when you insult my baby, you insult me?

Has anyone else experienced the hate? I don't run around telling people their PD150 sucks, or whatever. Anyway. Respond at will.

Frank Granovski May 29th, 2003 12:21 AM

Josh, who cares what other people say. They've probably never seen XL1 footage, nor footage from other 3 chip cams. You know the XL1 is good, and so do many others.

Ken Tanaka May 29th, 2003 12:29 AM

No, not the belltower! Please set down the rifle and come down, Josh! We can work this out calmly!

Josh, you've been shooting long enough, and reading posts here long enough, to recognize that enthusiasm for the new often disparages the predecessor. It's not hatred you're seeing, just enthusiasm for new products with an occasional touch of insecurity. Some of the new cameras do, in fact, have notable ground-breaking features. That's the nature of the electronics business. But the choices available within a certain price bracket all represent compromises of one form or another.

You've no reason to feel like you're the little weenie. Quite the contrary. There are many who would gladly mug you for that XL1s in a dark alley...and they'd take that bag, too, thank you very much. That XL1s is a very powerful and potent tool in the hands of a skilled craftsman. By all means, keep pace with others' comments and experiences with the new cameras. But there's no reason to become defensive or depressed when someone expresses negativity toward your camera. Read, smile, nod, note and move on.

In the end, the quality of your work rests on (a) your total mastery of your tools, (b) your ability to stitch a good visual story together, (c) your imagination, and (d) your ability to project your vision in light and sound.

Go forth undaunted by the naysayers, young man! Rolling....ACTION!

Chris Hurd May 29th, 2003 12:35 AM

Amen to all Ken says... and smile when you hear 'em dissin' your cam, because you know better. Let them believe whatever they want; ultimately you have the advantage.

The only shooting you need to do is with your camera,

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 12:56 AM

I feel I need more though. I need the naysayers to bow before me and cry and beg as I unleash allmighty 3 CCD hellfire upon them, and take back their untruthful and foul comments. It's very annoying is all I'm saying. Nodding and smiling doesn't feel like enough when I have these two hands that were perfectly crafted for the act of strangling.

Ken Tanaka May 29th, 2003 01:11 AM

You will face many more irritating situations in life, sometimes with true consequences. You will serve your long-term physical and mental health well to develop the emotional discipline to channel such frustrations in productive directions. If you develop a dependency on approval and appreciation as a young man (which I assume you are) you will be a very troubled, cranky old man.

Don't sweat the small stuff...which is squarely where all of these gadgets land.

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 01:29 AM

I'm already a cranky young man. I hate everything---from American Idol to the Matrix 2 to Houston traffic to sports and back again. Am I lost? Is there no hope?

Frank Granovski May 29th, 2003 01:38 AM

Love thyself, and everything else will fall into place. :)

Chris Hurd May 29th, 2003 01:48 AM

Turn off the TV, make your own movie, ride a bike, ride a bike some more. You'll become a changed man to whom nothing is bothersome.

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 02:14 AM

Josh, at the end of the day you just have to ignore them.

Turn the other cheek.

Leave the gauntlet on the ground.

And smile inwardly to yourself, in the knowledge that their camcorders all look the same...a shoebox with a lens...whereas your's looks sexy. Like a proper camera. Yours is the Marilyn Monroe of the camcorder world, whereas they're all lugging around the Ethel Mermans.

I rest my case.

Josh Bass May 29th, 2003 03:05 AM

That's what I figure. If I ever work in film or real video, the cameras are heavy bastards, so at least I'm getting used to it now. And when that XL2 comes out. . .whoa baby! There won't be a dry pair of pants in my house.

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 03:22 AM

XL2...hubba hubba

Frank Granovski May 29th, 2003 03:40 AM

MX600 - huba huba. :)

Quote:

Turn the other cheek.
Or, turn around and show 'em both cheeks---the big ones. :)

Rick Spilman May 29th, 2003 06:44 AM

You've got a fine camera. Shoot with it. The real magic is who is behind the camera, not the hardware.

You may be just getting some backlash. For so long the XL1 was the "cool" camera. Some (and it never takes many) XL1 users copped an attitude about their camera that pissed folks off. Silly but no different from the Mac/PC discussions where cooler-than-thou Mac owners sneer at PC users and PC users sneer back. Now folks with 24p obsession are getting a little weird but that too will pass. And in another year or two, it will be something else all together.

Make great video and prove 'em all wrong.

Anyway us little camera people should stick together. All the big camera folks or even those weird folks shooting with crystals on acetate (what's up with that?) look down on us already.

Richard Alvarez May 29th, 2003 07:05 AM

I think we need a new thread.

"Zen and the art of digital video..."