DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   just got EOS10D.....sweeeet! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/10857-just-got-eos10d-sweeeet.html)

Trey Perrone June 14th, 2003 05:43 PM

just got EOS10D.....sweeeet!

Just got the EOS10D with 75-200mm/f2.8 lens yesterday (along with a XL1s and EFadapter)...man this EOS is sweet!!! I had been using the sony mavica CD-1000 before this and this thing blows me away! now i just need to learn how to use it! If anyone is looking for a great still digi cam that can handle fast action this is it!!! I've got a little canon family budding in my own home now!

Here are some pics of the cam and some practice shots out in the yard (just messin around, there isnt much to shoot in the yard anyhow!)

http://visualstudios.org/10Dpics/10Dpics.htm

Glen Elliott June 15th, 2003 02:15 PM

Yeah the EOS 10-D is a nice peice *drool*. I wanted it but had to pass once I purchased my DVX100. If your comming from using a Mavica OF COURSE your going to be TOTALY blown-away! Jeez There's absolutly no comparison. Heck when I went from my Mavica FD-88 (floppy disc Mavica) to my Sony F717 I was blown away....and thats not even as big of a jump! Good luck- have fun with it man.

Tim D Wright June 15th, 2003 06:53 PM

Be carefull and be sure about your camera I and amny others have gone through multiple cameras as there is a problem with the focusing system on th 10D. Many will say there isn't and that it is a user issue but I have been doing photography sisnce the 60's and there is a problem I upgraded from a Canon D60 which I sold to a friend , we set both camers up on tripods and used my lenses and CF card and shot the exact same subject with both, the shots from the D60 were far better. I am still in the process of trying to get a good one. So check you images carefully.

Tony Leung June 15th, 2003 07:15 PM

Re: just got EOS10D.....sweeeet!

<<<-- Originally posted by Trey Perrone : Just got the EOS10D with 75-200mm/f2.8 lens yesterday (along with a XL1s and EFadapter)...man this EOS is sweet!!! I had been using the sony mavica CD-1000 before this and this thing blows me away! now i just need to learn how to use it! If anyone is looking for a great still digi cam that can handle fast action this is it!!! I've got a little canon family budding in my own home now!

Here are some pics of the cam and some practice shots out in the yard (just messin around, there isnt much to shoot in the yard anyhow!)

http://visualstudios.org/10Dpics/10Dpics.htm -->>>
It seems that some photos taken outside are out of focus. Maybe you have to check more as there are lots of comment about the out-focus issue of Canon 10D.

Trey Perrone June 15th, 2003 07:50 PM

yea, i have done a few more pics, and it does seem rather difficult to get the focus right all the time. Being that this is the first SLR cam i have used I have nothing to compare it too. I just started using the manual adjustments on my GL1 4-5 months ago, and i am still getting the hang of that. I tried all sorts of manual settings on the Sony Mavica cd-1000, but to no avail. majority of the shots were not that great. I hadn't heard anything about focus issues on the EOS-10D prior to this. The guy who does our pics on a website i werk for had the EOS-1D (or 1Ds, not sure) said this was a great cam for the price, and since i already had two GL1s and was ordering a XL1s this seemed logical (got the EF adapter for the XL1s to swap lenses). You guys have any links to info on these focus issues?

Alex Knappenberger June 15th, 2003 07:53 PM

Yeah, thats what I mentioned. I can see that it would be pretty difficult to focus that big ol' lens on there with such a shallow DOF. Heh, I like how you talk, basically "Yeah, i'm going to just pick up a $4000 XL1s this weekend, and I decided I might as well order a SLR camera for another few thousand, no biggie." Heh, just joking.

Tim D Wright June 15th, 2003 08:01 PM

Here is a link to a site called dpreview.com in the canon forum you will find lots of focus issues.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1019
I use (for one) a 100 to 400 mm "L" series lens which has image stabilization (in other words a very good lens) and have tried on tripod and off with the same results, soft images. Shoot some pictures at various shutter and f stops of various subjects then look at them in photoshop or whatever. Look at them at 100% but don't do any processing on them, if they aren't nice and sharp then you have a skunk. By the way shoot at high res jpeg with all in camera settings at default, i.e. no sharpening in camera.

Trey Perrone June 15th, 2003 08:13 PM

alex...you are correct it is quite a bit of money to drop, fortunately onecall.com has a credit card with one year no interest, so that helps out quite a bit. part of the reason to get the EOS10D is for my mother to take pics of my sister at gymnastics.

Tim....thanxs for the info, havent checked it out yet but will. i got the 70-200/2.8 lens...no image stabilization. now i think that could be an issues after mounting that bad boy on the XL1s and seeing how much shake there is just adjusting the zoom. i have yet to really delve into the camera operations, i have no clue on adjusting the fstop, thought the lens was set at 2.8 (shows how much i know about this cam!) so far i am shooting all in large jpeg files, tried the raw a little yesterday, but it a pain to deal with.

"skunk"? are you suggesting certain cams have this issue while others may not?

Tim D Wright June 15th, 2003 08:28 PM

Yes some people are reporting no problems. Friend of mine who bought one from the same store as I at the same time has no problems. I returned the one I bought and was given another but this one has the same issues. The only way I can get a sharp image is by useing a high f stop like f16 and hopeing that the depth of field will give me a sharp image. I am not saying the images are way out of focus. In photshop I can use a tool called unsharp mask which sharpens the images to an acceptable level. I just don't think I should have to do that on every image when the cameras predecessor the D60 takes far better pictures. I have heard that cameras starting with a 4 in the serial number have less problems (later batch). I am returning this one to Canon for service along with a cd of images.

Trey Perrone June 15th, 2003 09:23 PM

ack...mine starts in a 0....i will definately have to really test this beast out and see if it does indeed have issues...being that i have the 70-200/2.8 lens, i need to adjust the ISO for light conditions as opposed to and Fstop?

Matt Betea June 16th, 2003 06:27 AM

It depends what you're trying to accomplish with the specific exposure. But the analogy I found that worked best for me is:

Think of exposure as a bucket that you're trying to fill with water from a faucet. The bucket (ISO) determines how much water (light) you'll need. The aperture (faucet) determines how much water (light) you'll let through to fill the bucket (ISO). And determine how long (time/shutter) you have to let the water run to fill the bucket. It sounds crazy but after a little bit you'll get the hang of it.

Each one contributes and determines how your shot will be exposed. But each one if used creatively will give you a very different outcome. Hope that helps a bit. One book I found to help me was "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

matt

Glen Elliott June 16th, 2003 08:14 AM

Interesting analogy- though I'm not quite sure how a bucket is to the water as ISO is to exposure. I thought ISO is the "sensitivity" setting of the CCD?

Trey Perrone June 16th, 2003 09:18 AM

there is not ccd...only cmos

this whole iso thing throws me off cuz i just started learning about aperture and all that on the GL1 a few months ago.

this lens works a lot differently than the GL1/XL1s settings, but i will eventually get the hang of it i guess...the prob with any cam is that the user manual may tell you how to adjust, but not when.

David Hurdon June 16th, 2003 09:29 AM

just got EOS10D

Trey, what did you use to embed your photos? My Internet Explorer ver 6 displays a white page with two bulleted points that appear to be live links but don't cause anything to happen. Am I missing a plug-in?

David Hurdon

Trey Perrone June 16th, 2003 10:09 AM

nope, just some java....do you have the sun java util installed? i had to install it for some java pages even on XP after svc pack and all IE updates.

http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10...-10105088.html

its by sun microsystems