Everyone's website - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 11th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #16
Wrangler

Wow… Thanks for your straightforward honest criticism.

The only way that I could see that would accommodate my vision for the navigation was through Flash. We did have a version that was JAVA script but we could not get it to do what the flash stuff would – there is a download option on the bottom of the home page.

The cameraman silhouette was supposed to be un-noticed. Giving the illusion that when we film your event you will not really notice us. Maybe, as you said people just see it as a grey blob. Anyway, currently in the process of creating a new brand.

I think next I will create 2 sites one Flash and one Non Flash. Therefore giving the option for people to view my website on all bandwidths.

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #17
Air China Pilot

Look forward to seeing your future work. You have a good basis for a great site.
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I disagree a bit on the Flash comments. A couple of years ago people might have to download Flash Player, or their machine might lock up if Flash was involved...but that's no longer the case. All the major browsers include Flash players "de facto" now. So as long as you don't make your Flash animations so that they "require" the latest version of Flash, you're okay. Also, any machine that's been made in the last couple of years can handle simple Flash animations with no problem...no matter how miserly the buyer was.

I have a thing against Flash intros, though. I think they're a waste of time altogether. Instead of an intro, I'd rather see a clever preloader put to use. For example, the Triggerstreet site uses a film countdown preloader. That's better than a progress bar showing the loading percentage. I saw a photographer's web site made with Flash once, where the preloader consisted of quick glimpses at a photo+type of service. For instance, you'd see a great wedding photo, and below it it would "Weddings", that would last about a second, then change to a photo of a portrait with "Portraits" below. So, it looks like an intro in some respects, but it's just a preloader and doesn't last more than 5 seconds...and serves to let viewers know immediately what types of photography services he offers.

I'm getting geared up to make my entire personal site in Flash late this fall (right now I just have one small animation). As for the corporate web sites we've put together over the years, they were, by request, always simple: no Flash, redirects for Netscape and IE users, etc. But having kept track of the users statistics...it just isn't worth it anymore to go to the expense of making web sites conform to non-IE browsers. IE holds well over 90%. And if you're using IE, Flash is no problem. The result: we're starting to add more Flash, and eliminating making text and Netscape redirects anymore. The thinking behind that is, if you're in business, and you don't have a browser capable of handling what the "standard" browser today can handle, then most likely you aren't a big enough "player" to bring us much business. Same goes with drumming up non-corporate clients. Do you really think you'll get much business from people whose computers can't play Flash?

If you want to see some great Flash sites, from the guru of web Flash design and web advertising, go to HillmanCurtis.com and look at his portfolio.
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #19
Air China Pilot

With all things moderation. You have to ask yourself if you are using Flash to actually add something to your message or just because it is something cool. If you are selling your web design services, then obviously you want Flash or Flash examples in your site. Everything you have on your site has to support your message. Too often I arrive at sites that look awesome and have great animations, etc. and the only impression I get once I leave is a lingering admiration for that person's Flash ability, not the message or the purpose. Occasionally I will come across a site where the interface is so dense (though impressive) that I often never satisfy my prime purpose.

For example, just today someone sent me this link:
http://www.theembassyvfx.com/main.html

Nice layout. However, try and tell someone how to find a specific clip on that site. "Uh, first you have to click on this specific link in the FIRST COLUMN and then the stuff in the SECOND COLUMN will change and you have to click on THAT and it will open up a NEW WINDOW." It's like the designer thought of the cool interface first and then the content secondarily.

Hillman & Curtis I've seen before their work is good design work that happens to use Flash in many instances. Their message is that their customer's message gets across NO MATTER what the medium is. You will notice that all the links are accessible in text at the top without relying on Flash at all times.
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #20
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I love that site, Keith! I prefer that over a simpler style any day.

Something interesting about the Hillman Curtis site...that looks like text at the top...but it ain't. I read somewhere that he doesn't like to use straight text because some people set the font sizes so large it destroys the design of the page. So, instead of text, it's graphics.

What you're saying is the most important thing of all design...get the message across first and foremost. Then again, as Marshal McLuhan says, "The medium is the message." In visual arts, I think a more design-oriented approach says something about your approach to your work--more than just being an attractive site.

But, like most highly creative designers, Hillman Curtis puts in some elements that require a person to think and/or search for meaning. His new "MTIV" slogan isn't spelled out in black & white as to what it means...and I think in that respect he was successful because it caused me to dig through his site to find out the meaning, thus exposing me to more of the site.
Old July 12th, 2003, 01:09 AM   #21
Air China Pilot

What I meant by text is that it is just there as a backup to any navigational 'interface' that is made up of some overblown animation. I did notice that it was a gif.
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #22
Major Player

www.CPIMEDIC.com

Informational Web Site / Forum.

Also has a place for students to check realtime grades.

The CPI movie was done my me in FCP4.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #23
New Boot

Hi everyone. I write songs and then find great singers to perform them. I started using a camera to make music/videos and also to film my singers live performing my own, my wifes and my friends songs at a London showcase...
All done for fun, and arts sake...ie I never get paid...

'Don't Forget My Name' is a soldiers remembrance song performed in the Uk and then via the internet in Colorado USA and again via the internet back to the UK... I then produced the video... loads of others as well and some great songs to boot.

www.home-madevideos.com
Roy Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 11:51 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Roy Roberts : Hi everyone. I write songs and then find great singers to perform them. I started using a camera to make music/videos and also to film my singers live performing my own, my wifes and my friends songs at a London showcase...
All done for fun, and arts sake...ie I never get paid...

'Don't Forget My Name' is a soldiers remembrance song performed in the Uk and then via the internet in Colorado USA and again via the internet back to the UK... I then produced the video... loads of others as well and some great songs to boot.

www.home-madevideos.com -->>>

Cool. I'm from Colorado, but I've been in florida for 19 years now. Good luck.

heath
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #25
Wrangler

New design

Hi guys,

sorry to bring this thread back from the deep caves of DVinfo.net

I have recently re-designed my website - still stuff to do but the bulk of the work is done.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old September 28th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #26
Wrangler

Ed--nice design, but there seems to be some unnecessary scripting, such as something that reloads the page whenever the browser window is resized. You can replace that with a little CSS and reduce the computing power needed on both the client and server sides.

The reel's the most important bit.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:59 AM   #27
Wrangler

Thanks Robert for your comments,

Because I now have a new brand/ image, I'm working on a new showreel to reflect it.

Thanks again,

Ed

Anyone else with comments?

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #28
New Boot

my personal, and very out of date, website:
jim

my job:
VTV: Varsity Television

my band:
Chloe's Honey
Jim Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #29
Major Player

I have a 'real job' unfortunatley and only hope at tis point to graduate to the FILM world.

www.acuhire.com

We do pre-employment screening (background checks). So, if I am allowed to plug it here, if your hiring an employee for your business, we can do a full background check on the person (with their consent).
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #30
Regular Crew

.....not quite ready yet, but here's my home page:

[ url=http://www.crimsonbutterfly.com]http://www.crimsonbutterfly.com[/url ]

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media