"There won't be a film industry by 2020" - discuss - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:35 AM   #16
Trustee

I don't know,

yes we will have to move away from oil as a fuel source but isn't oil also used in the development of plastics? I mean we may be able to get off "oil" as a fuel source but I think our dependence on oil is larger then simply transportation. I think hydrogen and natural gas is really more of a stop gas measure as most Natural gas deposits come from oil wells right? So the motivation for oil companies to develop that resource is already there. I love the idea of hydrogen power but I don't think that the current way of obtaining it is going to continue to work. I think there will need to be a new way. I think ethanol is part way there but it lack a delivery structure because it's so corrosive. I like the brazilian way of doing things by switching the entire transportation over to ethanol (but sugar cane is far more efficient then corn syrup which is what we mass produce here in the US for our ethanol).

Personal for me reclaimed biodeisel is the best method but I hope that not everyone jumps on that band wagon because the demand will easily out way the supply.

As far as entertainment, one of the big reasons the great depression was a "golden age" of movies was because of the lack of technology at the time, people went to the movies because they were the first places to have air conditioning, it was a social experience and there was a lack of entertainment options outside of it. (at least compared to today)

I'm under 30 and watch a fair amount of TV. I think a lot of young people still watch TV but like the above poster said is they watch it differently. This means that manufacturers have to market differently, (which is where we get hour long karaoke shows designed to sell records of manufactured artists) you have to live the product experience more, engrain it more. How many commercials for mentos have you seen since the "viral video" of mentos and diet coke has come out, how have the sales of mentos been effected?

Many people will continue to be effected by this change of the way of doing things, but just like with the oil "crisis" we have to innovate or perish.
But to be honest the moving picture industry -the storytelling industry- will never go away, if it does then there really isn't a society worth living in.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Numbers are deceptive for the "Golden Age of Hollywood" (aka the same years as the Great Depression) vs the present, but its known as being the time when more movies were produced than any other time in history. Roughly 7500 features were produced during the period of about 15 years (1930-45). thats around 500 films per year. Today, about 400-600 feature films are produced per year, but only about 170-200 are major studio theatrical releases.

The deceptive part of the numbers is that TV was not a major media force in the 1930s-40s and who can really count the total number of television productions per year today? And viewers under 34 are still a major audience.

Change is always possible, and jobs can be drastically cut, but films and entertainment will always exist.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #18
Trustee

Either way they got ya...

Many of the energy companies own or are owned by communication companies and subsequently have interest in what we watch. Take GE for example they own film studios, news stations, and a group of other genre stations.
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Many of the energy companies own or are owned by communication companies...
Really? I'm not aware of any communications-related business activities from companies like BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Centrica, Saudi Aramco, Petrobras, LUKoil etc etc. I could be wrong.

Except, of course, for Exxon's campaign of disinformation about climate change. ;-)
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kelly View Post
Really? I'm not aware of any communications-related business activities from companies like BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Centrica, Saudi Aramco, Petrobras, LUKoil etc etc. I could be wrong.

Except, of course, for Exxon's campaign of disinformation about climate change. ;-)
Yeah great campaign isn't it!!! omg what crooks

one example From MediaTank:
Oil Companies. Almost all mainstream media companies profit from the advertising dollars of oil corporations which have a vested interest in both Iraq and Afghanistan. TimeWarner Chairman and CEO previously held both those positions at ChevronTexaco. Current Chevron board members include Carla Hills and General Electric director and former U.S. Senator Sam Nunn

another is ConocoPhillips which is in part owned by Mitsui & Co., Ltd which in turns owns a few media outlets.

Last edited by Marco Wagner; May 24th, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Marco Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #21
Major Player

Ah, interesting - thanks for the info!
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #22
Major Player

Start now

Hi boys
the fuel cell, electric cars all is ready only the big Texaco and Shel will not switch to install an infrastructure, pumps, since ten years.

Plastics, a lot can be made from green material not all but a lot.

go there
http://www.rytterfalk.com/2008/03/07...-for-download/
the Sigma DP1 in raw can out put decent www movie and a bit Lightzone polishing voila. Red comes up with Scarlet, a 3k cam for a base price 3 K.
dollies and ll this stuff can be build cheapo.

Why not serious NEWS low budget via web cast, weather too an total fresh new approach can show up face it,
lets start today I like to jump on tis wagon, who joins me ?????

Even shows we can produce live from small clubs. Start to entertain them in another format, the Laptop format attached to a beamer
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #23
Major Player

I tend to cringe when I hear the term FILMMAKER, especially when many are no even using film. It's like calling a WRITER a PAPERMAKER. I like MOVIEMAKER or maybe MOTION PICTURE PRODUCER better. Alright guys!
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennett View Post
I tend to cringe when I hear the term FILMMAKER, especially when many are no even using film.
Language evolves. I think we need to learn to live with it.

If you really want to sink your teeth into poor use of language then look at Adobe's DNG file format: Digital Negative. Eh? What's negative about the file?!? Or the phrase "Digital Intermediate" when the movie will never be printed to film and maybe even originated on a digital format. Or "podcast" (a concatenation of "iPod" and "broadcast") when you don't need an iPod to listen and they're not broadcast.

As I said, language evolves. The lexicon isn't static, it gently grows with every passing year. The only rule is that language must communicate meaning; and most people know what "filmmaker" means.

Last edited by Jack Kelly; June 10th, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Filmmaker is better than being called a ... 'filmer', or better yet, a 'movie-er '(?).
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Or a "vidiot"...

What one really is is a historian/archivist/storyteller - a most honorable profession, with grand new and evolving tools and methods!! But those terms just aren't hip enough for the digital age!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #27
Regular Crew

All this talk makes me think,
this could make a pretty awesome movie.
It could be really cliche and called "2020" and be about the oil prices drilling <no pun intended> the broadcast and film industry into nothing.

But hey, just verbal diarrhea over here.

;)
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media