Does screening early rough cuts undermine the editing process? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Trustee

Since we're rolling along with this...

Have you guys notice that in this era flooded with information about the EQUIPMENT of our profession, I'm seeing a lot more newbies who think that directing the CAMERAS, and directing the placement and use of the LIGHTS and ultimately directing the operation of the the EDITING GEAR - actually IS what "directing" is all about?

And where they fail most is not understanding the need to direct the PEOPLE, including those minor assets (the ACTORS)as being critical?

In other words, they treat the PEOPLE involved (including the actual ACTORS) as just another asset in the process.

This has been disturbing me for a while. Directors directing things, instead of performances.

Anyone else?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Wrangler

I like when filmmakers spend weeks researching if Red or SI2k are better for their project... and then don't have a shot list or storyboards on the day and haven't even had a rehearsal. :)
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #18
Major Player

Will the idea of "we'll fix it in post" ever die? And who exactly is the "we" in that sentiment? What the people who say that really mean is "someone else will have to fix that in post."
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I like when filmmakers spend weeks researching if Red or SI2k are better for their project... and then don't have a shot list or storyboards on the day and haven't even had a rehearsal. :)
Oh, and I forgot to mention that they end up shooting it on a DVX100 anyway....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media