When do you sleep? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 8th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Depending on if I'm working on something I want to get done quick. I'll change sleeping habits and sleep every other night for about 6 hours. It's not too bad sometimes.
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #17
Wrangler

I was taught to slip into a meditative state by a guy who trains olympic athletes. He claimed that one could substitute several hours of this for a nights sleep. Beats me. I find that I can meditate asleep just fine. Can't run a race worth a darn anymore though.
Old August 8th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #18
Trustee

Well this confirms it. We're all freaks. Glad to have company!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Please to explain "sleep."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

Because I'm not in college (yeah, I go to college, work fulltime, do movies and freelance...no life is the secret) this summer, I'm in bed by 3 am or so. I get home by 11 PM from work, or so, I watch a little TV and (lately) get to work on my DVD for my film. Re-mastering right now! By around 2 AM, I go to my apartment's gym and work out for an hour. This is 3 -5 nights a week. Back home and surf the net or continue on the DVD (or re-writing my next film, 9:04 AM) and in bed by 3:30 - 5 am, usually 4 am.

Then up by 10 am to 12 PM (the other day, when I was doing live video at Lollapaloser, I slept 10 hours, WOW!) and surf the net, waste time working with my web guy on the web site(s) and then in the shower and off to work. Work is where I relax.

When school starts up, esp. math (ugh), I'll be in bed by 2 am and up, most days, by 8 or 9 am. Saturdays are my only days off, all the time. Sundays I work on movie stuff or freelance stuff.

heatho
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Because I'm not in college (yeah, I go to college, work fulltime, do movies and freelance...no life is the secret) this summer, I'm in bed by 3 am or so. I get home by 11 PM from work, or so, I watch a little TV and (lately) get to work on my DVD for my film. Re-mastering right now! By around 2 AM, I go to my apartment's gym and work out for an hour. This is 3 -5 nights a week. Back home and surf the net or continue on the DVD (or re-writing my next film, 9:04 AM) and in bed by 3:30 - 5 am, usually 4 am.

Then up by 10 am to 12 PM (the other day, when I was doing live video at Lollapaloser, I slept 10 hours, WOW!) and surf the net, waste time working with my web guy on the web site(s) and then in the shower and off to work. Work is where I relax.

I try to get 8 hours regardless, unless major stuff is happening, then 4 - 6. I also try to do things like a bank, after reading a ton of studies about this when it comes to sleep. If I get 7 hours tonight, I TRY (and usually fail) to get 9 hours the next night. To even it out. If I sleep 10 hours (by accident), I usually sleep A LOT less the next night. And this is better than when I worked overnights and could barely get used to those hours. I'd wake up at 1 pm or so, thinking, I should be awake right now...

When school starts up, esp. math (ugh), I'll be in bed by 2 am and up, most days, by 8 or 9 am. Saturdays are my only days off, all the time. Sundays I work on movie stuff or freelance stuff.

heatho -->>>
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #22
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Don,
That is interesting, isn't it? I've always been a night person. Retirement has enabled me to get plenty of sleep...on my terms. My normal bed time is in the wee hours of the morning (although while it's still dark). If you see me posting at, say, 8:00 something is either wrong or I've had to temporarily adapt to the morning peoples' day.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #23
Wrangler

I sleep when I'm too tired to keep editing, and I get up when I have to start schlepping gear to a shoot. Sometimes in between I watch The Simpsons.
Old August 9th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #24
Major Player

It has something to do with the computer.

Anything computer related, and ESPECIALLY WEB related will keep you up.

Remember Neo?

Yeah.

Down the rabbit hole we go.....
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #25
Outer Circle

Okay, now for a test. It's 1:27 a.m. Let's see what comes up when I press the submit button.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #26
Outer Circle

Seems to work, though my watch may be 5 min fast. Thanks! Now I'd better adjust it.

Just to stay on topic, I'd rather have a MX5000 today than spend a year's salary on something that'll be obsolete tomorrow. Info here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 06:10 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Goooooooooood Morning DVinfonet!!!!!

Well, I've been reading these posts with great interest and have come to the conclusion that I am the real freak here. I'm a morning person, wake up around 4-5AM, bed around 11pm unless I"m working or like last night sick! I caught my annual summer cold on Thursday and have been drugging out since to try to kill it off. I have 2 weddings this weekend (unusual as I try to only do 1 a weekend-I'm too beat up after 1) and right now I'm on so much cold stuff I don't know if I'm still sick or just don't care if I am.
Anyway back to the case in point, I have always been an early AM kind of person even now, I edit early do the other business related stuff during the day and then continue the edits later in the afternoon, rarely at night unless I'm on a really tight deadline. I suppose it goes back to my days in the ARMY even though that was...My G*d, in the 60's! WOW!
Anyway, it's been enjoyable to see when everyone works and when they don't and why they post when they do. I"m going to finish my rounds thru the forums and go back to sleep for a couple of hours so I don't fall over at the function tonight.
Best to All,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #28
High School Student

Yikes. It appears someone slipped up and hit the delete button on my post in this thread. I used my all mighty developed judgement skills, and it was completely on topic and time was put into it. I guess I'll type it over. :D

Yup. Like I said. Right now its 8:16AM, and I haven't slept. I wish I could of went to sleep many many hours ago, when I was trying, but thats no use. Getting up at 4PM isn't fun. On top of this I have to go to my uncles in about 4 hours for some kind of party they are having. I get lots of sleep when I do pass out though, for the past month i've been passing out at like 4-6AM in the morning and waking up at like 4PM, so I get plenty of sleep...heh, not exactly at the right time though

If school was in, I wouldn't be getting much sleep. When I have school, I still usually don't go to bed until about 3-4AM (I watch Leno and then Conan), and then I have to wake up at 7AM to go to school, atleast thats how it was for the most of last school year. Not good.

I'd love to go to bed at like 11PM and wake up at 4-5AM. That would be great. I have some sleeping disorder or something, heh. Maybe I should look into getting some of them pills...

Whenever I edit something though, or work on anything on the computer for that matter, more times then not it's in the middle of the night, thats when I can concenrate the most, I guess. Heh

Good night.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #29
Trustee

Stay away from sleep pills! Alex, it's part of being young - having a weird sleep schedule. If I had a buck for every sunrise I ushered in during high school and college, I'd have a CineAlta by now.

Enjoy having a sleep schedule on your own terms while you still can! Late nights are the most productive - after all, when everyone is asleep they can't interrupt you.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media