Home theater question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 17th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Home theater question

I saw a subwoofer today that had connectors for the surround speakers and the front and center channel. I guess the subwoofer's amp powers everything? The subwoofer was a Polk. Anyone used a system like this?

Btw, I checked the AVS forum, some of the threads of hundreds, even thousands of replies. Not sure how anyone can use that resource any more.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

I picked up a big subwoofer on sale last year. Connected it to my HTDV via the video out left+right pair of RCA plugs. The subwoofer has left and right output RCA plugs - possibly a center channel (which I don't use). I don't have a real "home theatre" sound system though, just a pair of power studio monitors which are plugged into each channel.

But I don't think the subwoofers will power everything (unless part of a matched package of components). I know that mine has line level outputs which need amplification.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Brian,

If you've got the model number, or can remember clearly what it looked like, just go to the Polk Audio Site and find it - then check it's specs.

Should be easy to figure out.

I'm running a full home theater system, with a 65" HD Mits, and a 109" Screened HD Optoma Projector unit.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I have a polk with the same connections.

No, the subs amp wont power everything...just the sub. It's some sort of a "pass through" way of connecting it. You will supposedly get more bass this way, but depending on your setup, it might require a lot more speaker wire.

I have mine just connected with the RCA input...it sounds fine.
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyerson View Post
I have a polk with the same connections.

No, the subs amp wont power everything...just the sub. It's some sort of a "pass through" way of connecting it. You will supposedly get more bass this way, but depending on your setup, it might require a lot more speaker wire.

I have mine just connected with the RCA input...it sounds fine.
That makes sense, if it powered everything there'd have to be a volume control.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media