Australian Retailer of the Year? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:41 AM   #1
New Boot

Australian Retailer of the Year?

Has anyone out there had any experience with Kent Hi-fi (NSW)
http://www.kenthifi.com.au

I'm looking at picking up a Canon (Optura Xi /au MVX3i)
It's just been released here and generally my local camera stores (Queensland) have been completely unhelpful in regards to acquiring one.
Generally stores can't tell me anything because the camera's not in "The System." It's reached the point where I'm sure "The System" is very similar to "The Matrix" or "I can't be bothered..er..ix" A few have told me this camera doesn't actually exist and a few more suggest I ring back in two weeks, it may appear then. I'm wondering how people make money.

I've had much more positive reports from interstate stores most will have the camera in 1-2 weeks. I'm a little reluctant buying interstate because shipping and returns make me a little nervous.
On the other hand Kent Hi-fi have had the camera listed since it first appeared on canon.com.au, managed to get a price on day of release, they preordered and have stock today, generally they have been very helpful and prompt, made recommendations and quoted a solid price off the bat well below the RRP. Unfortunately I can't visit the shop to get that all important "feel" so I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this retailer.

Thank you.
Carlos De Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:47 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Sounds like a good shop. This one's good too:

http://www.cameraaction.com.au
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:01 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't visit the shop to get that all important "feel" so I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this retailer.
Visit our MX forum. Allan has written some good stuff about the Optura Xi there.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:03 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Frank, you put a lot of work into this forum it's appreciated. I know you have mentioned them, they're one of the few that got back to me :) They quoted RRP on all items including accessories, I'm waiting to see if they can manage a better price.
Carlos De Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Carlos,

Have you tried Photo Continental
at Mt Gravatt in Brisbane. Their website is not the best but I have used them many times and their service has always been very good. Their prices are not the lowest in Australia but they stand behind their sales and will still be there tomorrow.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:30 AM   #6
New Boot

KENT hI FI

Kent Hi Fi is a well established and authorative company - i would have no issue in purchasing products from them - when i lived in Sydney they were regarded as the top end audio store - and have been around for a long time
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:46 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys.
Carlos De Souza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media