Great day on set, cast-wise! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 10th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #16
Major Player

I didn't know Charles was involved in Office Space! I loved that movie!
Old November 11th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have actually been watching that show, the camera work is very interesting. Looks like most of it is handheld work, not a lot of tripod shots. It definately gives the show a diffrent "feel" than a lot of the other stuff on TV. I feel sorry for the camera guys though, must be hell lugging around a camera on your shoulder all day!

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #18
Wrangler

Looks like "Arrested Development" is more arrested, less development--I was just called to work on their "final episode" to be shot in a couple of weeks. Hmmm. Bummer.

Yeah, I walked out of there with a sore shoulder! Shooting that much handheld with a full-size camera is an acquired "muscle"--I'm sure Wayne Orr will agree on that one.

The Charles Papert game...you guys are killing me!

OK, I can one-up you guys--Imran:

I looked up "Tremors" and found two guys (production designer and first assistant director) who I have worked with who were also on that show. That's one less degree of separation!

Rob:

Brian Grazer, being so prolific, is pretty easy. He produced "Intolerable Cruelty", which I did some Steadicam for; he produces "Miss Match", which guest starred an actress whom I directed in an Instant Film recently; and he produced "Blue Crush", directed by John Stockwell for whom I operated on "Crazy/Beautiful".

But as of yet, I haven't worked with Kevin Bacon--that will really simplify this game! (I did just work with Barry Levinson, who directed Bacon in "Diner", though...)
Old November 15th, 2003, 01:50 AM   #19
Major Player

Too bad about "Arrested Development." I know what it's like to work on a show you really like but can't find an audience, since I did "Sports Nite" for two seasons. It was one of my favorite experiences in my career, but it just couldn't get enough viewers.

Many years ago, I was assigned to work on a special, and when I showed up somewhat late for work, they said, "Well, I guess you're doing the hand-held camera." I was not looking forward to that and said I would do it for five dollars an hour more, and almost got bounced, but they got someone else to do it without the five bucks. He worked his ass off and I sat in a chair in the audience for three days watching him bust his butt. From that day I said I want more money for hand-held camera, and I got it. Now it's standard for camera operators in video to get more money for hand-held work, as they deserve. Same with jib operators. Not so on film shoots, and since most of the 24P shows are being done by film operators, they get screwed. Problem; too many film operators and not enough work. I hope you were able to get above scale, Charles, for all that work, but I doubt it. I did the hand-held shots on the "George Lopez" Halloween show, and I have to say, I hate the Panavision/Sony camera. Very unfriendly. And no extra money. But I do enjoy the show, as it has really come up with some great scripts, and the cast is wonderful. George makes it a real pleasure. What a talent he is. And do we eat good Mexican! Delicioso!

Our current director on "Lopez" is John Pasquin. Have you ever worked with him, Charles? He takes the multiple camera show to another level. Somewhat reminds me of "Sports Nite," with Tommy Schlamme, Alex Graves, Don Scardino. Sigh. Miss those guys. (but not the hours)

Wayne
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #20
Wrangler

Actually, Wayne, "Arrested" did pay overscale for the operators, much to my surprise. I've long felt that handheld is potentially more injurious to the body over the long run than Steadicam, despite the common wisdom that Steadicam ruins your back, which it generally doesn't. Although some of the more physically awkward positions I've had to hold have been, oddly enough, on the dolly. It's part of the reason I invested in a set of Hot Gears.

Schlamme and Graves I worked with on "The West Wing" (obvious connection between that and Sports Night). Both very talented directors.
Old November 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Fox seems to be killing of their shows before they get a chance to build an audience. Skin was much better than the sappy 'Las Vegas'. Surprisingly well written tale (I know it's a modern day Romeo and Juliet). They didn't give it or Arrested Development enough time to uhhhhmmmm Develop. The program director at Fox is either too desperate or too stupid(or both) to handle the job. Instead we get more nauseating Joe Millionaire.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #22
Major Player

Yeah, the shelf life of FOX shows is becoming disturbingly like British sitcoms.. maybe even less than that!
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Fortunately, I own the first two seasons of the British version
of 'Coupling' on DVD. I'll get the third when it comes out.

Now if BBCA would only start airing more recent episodes of Graham Norton!!!! And not the censored stuff either!!!
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #24
Major Player

tvguide.com and Variety have said 22 more episodes have been picked up.

Charles, did something change last minute? I know you're not there every day.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #25
Wrangler

Not sure. I was called to work on the "last episode" this week. I haven't been working on the show since that first day, I've been booked on other things. I'm glad to hear it got a pickup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media