Meet Joe Carnahan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #1
Wrangler

Meet Joe Carnahan

Joe Carnahan was the director for Narc and is now directing Mission Impossible III in New Zealand with Tom Cruise.

He will appear at Solano Community College in Fairfield, California in November to screen Narc and talk about his experience in directing Tom Cruise. Date and time TBA as soon as he gets home.

Joe is a graduate of the Cinema and Actor Training programs at Solano Community College. His first film, Blood Guts Bullets and Octane was written by him and produced in and around Fairfield with a Canon GL1 and $7,000. He took it to Sundance and it was picked up by Tom Cruise's distribution company.

Narc and Mission Impossible III were also written by Joe.

If anyone is interested in attending this fund-raiser for the college theatre program, send me an email.
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

A GL1 $7,000 DV film to Narc?

I'd be interested to see that first film!
Old October 14th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Wow, I had no idea he is penning and directing MI III. It'll be so incredibly refreshing that we may get a GOOD action film soon. Especially after the ridiculous thing that Woo put out with MI II.

Great news! Narc was an excellent film, from all angles. Great acting, great, gritty directing, and above all else, a great script with extremely multi-dimensional characters.

Very excited.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was disappointed when I learned Fincher wasn't doing MI III, but this sounds interesting. I haven't seen Narc but I've heard good things about it. As for "Blood, Guts, Bullets and Octane" I saw it a couple years ago and thought it was alright. Very impressive now to know it was done with that little of a budget and a GL1! May have to check it out again now that I have a GL2 myself.

Cheers,
Huey
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Keith, you can rent Blood Guts ......
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I've seen "Blood, Guts..." and I really liked it. It used to play on IFC, and for what it is, it's pretty impressive. The ending is really inspired. I'd love to see this guy speak, but I'm in New York unfortunately.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #7
Wrangler

I don't know if we could get permission to tape his presentation or not. This whole thing is a benefit event for the college theatre program.

I'll ask.

I am now hearing that the organizer of the event, George Maguire, himself a Hollywood Actor . . . Fight Club (think the group moderator in the circle of guys) and 21 other movies (he is a character/bit-part actor), etc. is thinking that mid-November is too soon to properly publicize the event and that we should move it to January.

I think if he waits, Joe will be off on another film.

We will probably have another program for Brian Ging who has completed principal photography on 'American Yearbook.' He's received a lot of good publicity because this was the first FEATURE to be shot on the DVX100. Trailer up on www.american-yearbook.com. His target is Sundance. Lot of work to get there with around 200 hours of tape IIRC.

Many of the actors, like those for Blood Guts .... are students in the Actor's Training Program which Maguire started.

If you looked at the camera mount for the front of my van, that was built for Brian to shoot a short called 'Sharp' that starred Maguire and another local (and very good) actress and ATP prof.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media