Is no movie sacred from a remake? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 19th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #1
Wrangler

Is no movie sacred from a remake?

Dawn Of The Dead
One of my alltime favorite movies...
When will Hollywood stop? Texas Chainsaw Massacre as well?
Are they trying to do us a favor or killing the past for a few hundred million dollars more in their pockets?
Old October 19th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Remarkable. The original was made by George Romero in Pittsburgh when I was a student at Carnegie-Mellon. Many of my friends appeared in or worked on the film...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Outer Circle

I almost went to see the Texas Chainsaw remake the other day, but passed. Has anyone seen, The Hills Have Eyes? That's a good one too. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I think this is a good sign that the studio's are dying for new ideas and film makers.

Most studios have huge production teams that they must keep working everyday, a remake is a logical answer, less research, pre-established audience and so on.

Horror seems to be the flavour the month at the moment, for a while they used to remake all the melodrama's and psychological thrillers.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #5
Wrangler

I don't have a big problem with re-makes ... especially considering the original Hollywood horror films that have been released in the past few years.

And THE best monster ever - The Thing, is just begging for a CGI re-make! As long as John Carpenter directs of course.
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I personally think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But the only movies that should be remade are bad movies. Seriously, if something HAD potential and was executed badly, why not bring it to it's full potential.

Zac
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I just saw a really bad remake of Carrie the other day...or part of it, I should say. I couldn't watch the whole thing. Why on Earth would you take a great film like Carrie, and then make an obviously low-budget "made-for-TV-looking" remake?
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #8
Major Player

John, they did make a sequel to "Weekend at Bernies" after that anything is worth it.

Zac
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey, they are playing the remake of Rollerball here in Japan at the moment, now that's making a crap movie even worse.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #10
Air China Pilot

Don't Lucasize "The Thing"

I have to disagree on remaking The Thing. There is something very special about the practical effects that are used in that film. CG just doesn't look that great with gore. What is very effective about the limited FX in that film is that it adds to the sense of mystery. So often in SF or horror films they show TOO MUCH of the creature and that spoils the feeling of dread. The Thing is a great film by itself. No one should Lucasize it.
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #11
Major Player

>>And THE best monster ever - The Thing, is just begging for a CGI re-make! As long as John Carpenter directs of course.<<

NNOOOooo!!! CGI with the The Thing would kill the whole effect. IMO, the effects in the The Thing are still highly disturbing till this day. CGI would look real cheesey, IMO.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Remaking "Dawn of the Dead"... I htought that was what "28 days" was, in essence. Well maybe that was more a rehash of "Night of the living Dead" Oh well. I was on the set of "Day of the Dead" where a buddy was stunt coordinator.

I can see it now... "Dog Day Afternoon of the Dead"
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- NNOOOooo!!! CGI with the The Thing would kill the whole effect. IMO, the effects in the The Thing are still highly disturbing till this day. CGI would look real cheesey, IMO. -->>>

Okay Glenn and Keith, I retract my suggestion for a Thing re-make.

But I'm still holding out for the Thing 2 :-)
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

A new "The Thing" would actually be a re-remake. John Carpeneter's '80's version was itself a remake of the '50's original by the same name, with the title role played by James Arness of "Gunsmoke" fame. Carpenter's remake was a lot better than the original, and in my opinion it really doesn't need to be remade again.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #15
Air China Pilot

John Carpenter's The Thing also adapted different parts of the Campbell novella.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media