DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Holiday Wish List (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/17505-holiday-wish-list.html)

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 07:25 PM

Makes you kinda wish you were a Canadian, right, Bill? :-))

Dylan Couper December 21st, 2003 08:18 PM

(ignant Canook question)

You do have Boxing Day in the US, don't you??

Ken Tanaka December 21st, 2003 08:29 PM

No, not unless Tyson puts gloves on.

Boxing Day derives from a British tradition. We broke away from them years ago.

Dylan Couper December 21st, 2003 11:37 PM

Huh... I never realized that.
I feel bad that y'all don't have the glorious tradition of getting up at 6am the morning after Christmas, to stand in line for two hours just to buy a DVD player for $20, or get 15% off big screen TV's.

Ken Tanaka December 22nd, 2003 12:01 AM

The day after Thanksgiving is our Mob Rule Mall Day, although the day after Christmas is beginning to rival that.

Many years ago we were celebrating New Year's Eve at a formal dinner at the Banff Springs Hotel. We were seated with a congennial British couple who, at the brief mention of Boxing Day, proceeded to deliver an elaborate treatise on its history and contemporary practice in the U.K. Unfortunately, I must confess to having drifted while smiling and nodding. Perhaps the blood flow to my brain was becoming restricted from the collar and bow tie. So I sadly remember relatively little of the presentation.

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2003 12:26 AM

I hear ya. I usually take a nap during this kinds of presentations. I love Banff, by the way.

Bill Pryor December 22nd, 2003 08:31 AM

Nope, no Boxing Day here. The day after Christmas is when everybody gets up early in the morning, packs up the stuff relatives sent them, and rushes to Best Buy to stand in line for hours to exchange the items.

We do have some nice thoughts happening, however. Between Thanksgiving (that is the U.S. holiday that celebrates how the natives saved our forefathers' butts only to be trounced by them in later years) and Christmas, the food pantry places collect a lot of food for the homeless and needy, and most people seem to contribute food or money to that. The rest of the year, we let the rabble starve.

Pardon my cynicims--all it takes is one trip to the mall to make me want to spend Christmas in the Tortugas.

Adrian Douglas December 22nd, 2003 09:27 AM

Ha! Here in Japan Christmas is pretty much a non-event let alone Boxing Day.

As I'll be shooting Christmas Day I'd like clear blue skies, not too cold, good coffee, and no serious hassles. I know the last is stretching it as I'm a foreigner in Japan but hey never hurts to ask.

Bill Pryor December 22nd, 2003 09:33 AM

I always equate Japan with good tea, not good coffee. I guess things are changing.

Adrian Douglas December 22nd, 2003 07:32 PM

Yeah Bill the tea is very good, but when shooting I prefer good coffee. Recently there has been a coffee shop explosion here in Japan especially Tokyo. The last few years has seen Starbucks, Tulley's, Doutor, Excelsiour, and a few other chain shops open up on just about every corner. While these shops encapsulate the corporate greed that is rampant here you can't deny that with that many you should be able to find at least one good coffee.