DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Ken Burns technique? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/18106-ken-burns-technique.html)

Edward Troxel December 9th, 2003 01:14 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Sorensen : There's also Moving Picture (www.stagetools.com). There's plugins for every editor plus a standalone app. -->>>

Not EVERY editor - Vegas isn't listed. Of course, it would be redundant to the built-in capabilities.

Chris Sorensen December 9th, 2003 04:24 PM

You're right, you got me. But there are plugins for:

Adobe Premiere_ (Win/Mac)
Adobe After Effects_ (Win/Mac)
Apple Final Cut Pro
Avid_ (All Editors Win/Mac)
Canopus RexEdit / DVEdit / DVStorm
Discreet_ edit
DPS Velocity
FASTStudio
IMC Incite
In-Sync SpeedRazor
Lightworks
Media 100 (Mac) and 844/X (Win)
Pinnacle_
Ulead_

I guess with Vegas you'd have to use the standalone version if you wanted to use it.

Glen Elliott December 11th, 2003 11:59 AM

Vegas has the easiest most comprehensive tool (pan/crop) for this sort of work out of the box. Once in pan/crop, regardless of the image size- simply right click and choose match output ratio and it automaticlly adjusts for any dimension ratio discrepencies. Ed can correct me if I'm wrong but beings the fact Vegas is format agnostic image resolution is a non-issue. It can handle small and large images alike.
It's incredibly powerfull and infinitly more easy than any other tool from other NLE's I've tried.

Edward Troxel December 11th, 2003 12:13 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Vegas has the easiest most comprehensive tool (pan/crop) for this sort of work out of the box. Once in pan/crop, regardless of the image size- simply right click and choose match output ratio and it automaticlly adjusts for any dimension ratio discrepencies. Ed can correct me if I'm wrong but beings the fact Vegas is format agnostic image resolution is a non-issue. It can handle small and large images alike.
It's incredibly powerfull and infinitly more easy than any other tool from other NLE's I've tried. -->>>

Agreed. That's the reason I said it would be redundant.

Corey MacGregor December 11th, 2003 04:29 PM

You don't really need to get a plugin for this technique. All you have to do is import your still into any NLE then keyframe the position and scale parameters.

Glen Elliott December 11th, 2003 05:50 PM

True however some NLEs are much more intuative in doing so. I remember the Premiere Motion tool being a dread to work with for complex movements and keyframing.

Wayne Orr December 11th, 2003 06:22 PM

While Ken Burns is great, check out a film called, "The Kid Stays in the Movie," to see some more interesting techniques in still photo compositing. These people have really raised the bar for this type of filmmaking. And damn entertaining besides.

Wayne Orr

Alex Taylor December 11th, 2003 07:23 PM

Wayne, do you mean The Kid Stays in the Picture?

Wayne Orr December 12th, 2003 12:50 AM

Indeed. Thanks for correcting me.

Wayne