Anyone see the Last Samuri? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

SAMURAI was full of so many cliches, I just shook my head...

Cruise was Cruise...

Why kill off so many Samurai in the name of honor? That made NO sense...

The set design and the lead Samurai, Watanbe, were the only good thing. The cinematography was run-of-the-mill.

I give it a B-, because Watanbe was so good. It was a Cruise vanity project.

heath
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #17
Major Player

Mr. Murphy

Yes, I am 33. LOL

I agree with your take 100%. That is weird, huh? I always wanted INDY 4 to be centered around the PACIFIC side of WW2. No more NAZI's. B O R I N G.

I wanted INDY to be caught up with the IMPERIAL FLEET and perhaps the dropping of the bomb. Probally too serious for people though and we have to be nice to the Japanese now (Think Pearl Harbor in that everyone was so concerned about upsetting the Japanese instead of telling a real story with historical accuracy)

DISCLAIMER - I am in no way trying to start anything here! I just wish Pearl Harbor had taken itself more seriously and ditched the candy ass love story.

Think INDY 4 in the South Pacific durig WW2. I would love to see it back in it's roots in terms of making a movie that could be nominated. The original RAIDERS was nominated for BEST PICTURE and can you even see the other 2 being considered? NO WAY. If I was helming it, I would take it back to a serious level and try and make THE BEST PICTURE as oppossed to something that will be marketed and sold at Burger King.

VANILLA SKY was kick ass; I almost forgot. I have to check into the Ben Stiller thing. I love Stiller.

I can't say that SAMURAI is a Cruise vanity project. He starred in it, that's it. It's not like Costner (who I also dig) where he wrote, produced, directed and starred!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

I didn't like DANCES WITH WOLVES, mostly because it pretty much shut GOODFELLAS out at the Oscars. I was one p'd off 15 year old!

heath
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #19
Trustee

Heath, definately a B- on Samuri...for sure.

John, that is funny huh? I like your idea - that would be a great story. It would line-up perfectly with the timeframe too.

You're right, if Speilberg directs something worthwhile it could be nominated. It's amazing how someone can direct something like Raiders and they do AI or Lost World Pt 7!! It seems like a waste of skill. However, he seems to redeem himself in odd ways...like with Minority Report. I think AI and Minority Report are cousins in a way, but I swear that Minority Report blows AI away...IMHO, of course. I haven't heard anyone say AI was good...it was misguided. Stanley Kubrick should have directed, but didn't...so Speilberg did a nice thing and made it come to life. It's like a doctor saving a baby and wife at birth...and then taking them home to raise them. It's still not his baby, but it'll kinda grow up ok. That's AI..not really that great. But, with the right guidence, I bet it would have been great. I also think that Speilberg thought he could capture the greatness...didn't happen!

By the way, we forgot to mention "The Firm" with Cruise. That's a good one too..I'll give him that one too.

I really want some good movies in 2004...come on indies and Hollywood!!!!!

Murph
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #20
Major Player

lol :)
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #21
Trustee

Richard,

The story may have been mediocre on the suurface but it's the underlying message of honor and being true to your beliefs that give the story it's strength and power. This may not be obvious to you as an American living in the US but as someone who lives in Japan these are two traits that are sadly giving way to vanity and greed. Then again it's going that way all over the world a lot longer. The sad part of the film, this is from my Japanese wife, is that the morals and ethics of the samauri and bushido that were the basis of life for over 1000 years have been all but forgotten in just 120 years.

The Japanese actor by the way is Ken Watanabe. He is a very talented actor and is deservingly very popular here in Japan. Hopefully, this will see him landing some more major roles to let more of the world see this mans talent.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

I didn't like SAMURAI because it was full of cliches. Watanabe was cool. Oh, and to slaughter an entire group of Samurai just to make a point? I didn't get that, but then again, I don't get much. ;-)

heath
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #23
Trustee

The worst part of the movie was the end...all these REAL Samuri are fighting to the last breathe...and Cruise is the last one standing? Yeah, ok...lol.

The absolute worse ending in a movie ever...a close-up of Cruise and fade to black. I mean, come on...after all that story and the whole meaning of it and you have to end on his face? At least end up on that tree in the garden or something with more meaning than Cruise's face.

I actually liked certain parts of the movie. But, I think it should have been thoughtout differently. An alcoholic American goes to Japan and becomes a Samuri and in the battlefield is the LAST one standing...and lives? Come on...it's Hollywood - beyond Hollywood. The "suspention of belief" just doesn't go that far in film...it goes pretty far, but not that much!

Murph
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

I still can't buy Cruise in the role, because he's larger than life, Cruise.

heath
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #25
Trustee

I agree.

But, I did like him in a bunch of other movies like Born on the 4th of July, Vanilla Sky and few others. He's good in certain roles.

murph
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #26
Trustee

I never said it didn't have holes, I was refering to the underlying message of the story. The thing that did get me was that it only took Tom's character a winter in the mountains to a: speak Japanese, I've been at it for three years and it still kills me, and b: become good with a katana, I'm a fairly big guy, 6ft, 88kg, and swinging one of those things around is bloody difficult. As for 'doing something just to make a point', maybe you should pay us a visit.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #27
Inner Circle

If you haven't seen The Last Samuri, but have Seen Dances With Wolves, you know 90% of the plot already.
And yes, in both films, the bad guys wear blue. And are lead by a skanky, greedy white american officer. Oh well.

There was a great documentary on the film on the History channel.
In real life, the modernization of Japan brought civil rights to the average citizen and women.

Under the rule of the Shogun/Samuri, peasants and women had no rights what so ever. Foreigners caught on Japanese soil were executed without trial.

But the hollywood version doesn't want to show that.

The concepts of honor didn't die with the modernization of Japan.

I thought the Japanese women who helped Tom Cruise recover was hot. But then I think Japanese women are the most beautiful of all the asian ethnic groups.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media