iPod mini at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 10th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

iPod mini

IMHO, one of the worst product launches in my recent memory. granted, i usually don't pay attention to such things, but the rumors caught my attention and i was really looking forward to the 2GB iPod in the $99-169 range. $249 just doesn't make any sense. it directly competes with the $300 15gb iPod and it doesn't "compete" with the flash market, as SJ would say, because it's too expensive. i have a flash based player and kinda like it. never skips, 15+ hours on a single AAA batter, can change the song while it's in my pocket (try that with an iPod). i guess i just really though apple was about take control of the entire market (which i think i would like), but they released, what seems to me a half-assed product. (keep in mind the new super small 2GB drives in quantities of 100K for $70 a piece). all i can say is that i was super disappointed. apparently everyone at macworld was psyched and then he said the price and youcould hear a pin drop in the place. any thoughts?
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #2
Major Player

I pretty much agree with you Matthew. I do see how the smaller size is marketable for many of its own reasons, more convenient for carrying during workouts and stuff. And I understand Steve Job's logic that people won't need to tote their whole 10,000 song library around when they're jogging - they'll save that for the vacation car ride. However, and its a big however, just like you said, its in direct competition with the 15Gb. Its smaller, great, but this is America where people are always looking for the better deal. That's why supersizing extra value meals has gone over so well. You don't need the extra food, probably won't even eat it, but its only 39cents and that's a deal! That's pretty much the approach I'd take to the $50 difference between the 4Gb mini-iPod and the 15Gb iPod because space for 2,700 more songs for $50 is a "value."
I was also looking forward to a more moderately priced iPod, and actually considered buying one at $150. At this point, I'm holding off until they come up with bluetooth/wireless and the ability to store and transfer some type of video file (I seriously doubt iPods will ever have a lcd video screen). But who knows if/when that will ever happen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media