Uses for my HD10 (JVC HDV camera) box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Uses for my HD10 (JVC HDV camera) box

For the past 6 months, I lived like a true bachelor: after I received my JVC HD10 camera, I used the box as a makeshift nightstand. When I started dating my girlfriend in November, she just shook her head.

Fast forward to January, and I FINALLY bought a real nightstand, along with a new TV stand, dresser (so much for the closet floor), book shelf, and DVD shelf.

I wouldn't say I'm a slob, just too busy to care. Thank God my girlfriend has taste and is willing to get me going on buying this stuff!

I thought about keeping the box, but I threw it away! But I do have a picture of it, before I put in the nightstand. It has my cell phone and asthma medicine on it. How classy, huh?

heath
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This is actually a pretty good topic!

I make it a point to keep all my boxes. I still have the original carton for my 1998 XL1, but sadly it's missing the top foam insert tray.

As fast as this gear is changing these days, sometimes you might find yourself using something for only a few months, or a year, and then it's time to sell it and move on. Used gear which includes all of the original packaging material, including manuals, cables, yes, even the box, tends to sell better than used gear without the trimmings.

Heck, for my PowerShot S400 digicam, I didn't unwrap *anything* except the camera, in anticipation of selling it at some point in the near future. I'm using a spare battery and charger I already had, and a PDF copy of the manual.

Now the wife has never been thrilled about this cardboard policy. So, I try to accomodate her clean-house sensibilities by storing the cartons out of sight somewhere. The PowerShot box and other small containers are kept in a closet in my office, and the XL1 carton is nestled on the top shelf of a storage building. I've got boxes up in the attic. And I've got generic cardboard shipping boxes folded away in the garage. Is it because I had depression-era grandparents who would never throw anything away? Am I nuts? Hey, some people have to have a hobby collecting *something* and in my case, it's cardboard!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Major Player

"Hi, my name is Federico and I am a Carboard Box keeper."

Is this the Box keeper anonymous therapy group?

I moved last month to a new place where I got my own "little studio office". The word LITTLE being key here..

I canīt tell you how many boxes I had to throw away... I swear I tried to keep them... but thereīs no space... and the Wife doesnīt want more boxes.. this is a small apartment...

In my studio I actually keep everything in cardboard boxes... Allmost no drawers..
One for audio stuff, other for tapes, other for Camera Accesories that donīt fit in the case.. other for my guitar stuff, other for cables, other for MiniDiscs, etc...
I think this place must be cockroaches version of Hansel and Graetel candy house...

I think Iīll have to post a pic on that thread thatīs somewhere around here...

P.S. Converse All Star boxes are great CDīHolders... the perfect measure.
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

I just have my G5 box still, because a pre-owned G4 I bought last year was so screwed up, even after having the innards replaced, I still had to send it back. I also have my friend's 3x Xl-1 Lens box, though I don't have the lens. (But I do have her XL-1!!!)

heath
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Major Player

make a movie about it
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Nah...I want to make a movie about the box. But you can have the rights for a cool million (make check payable to Heath). ;-)

heath
Old January 16th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Here's one that takes the cake - my friend is a producer like me and he made a long series of "tv shows" with his son growing up called, "Boxman".

In short, the whole series he wore a box over his body (with his hands etc able to get out) and saved the world. It was hilarous.

I'm thinking of putting on DVD or public access television for fun. It's actually got storylines and visiting friends played villians etc.

You know...come to think of it. The "Boxman" series was better than some of the comic book movies they've made!!! No CG...

Murph
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Wrangler

I still have the box to my Sony RM-E100V editing board from 15 odd years ago. I can see it from where I'm sitting right now. I should sell it (the editing board, and the box...)

I keep the box to anything that cost more than $300 that I can fit in my closet, or atleast, inside a larger box.
Old January 17th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Wrangler

from "the wife"

Please forgive me if this was a boys-only thread, but as a box hoarder, I can't resist. And my subject line is a little misleading, so--sorry again, but I've always gotten a kick out of that title so I had to use it.

Heath, too bad you had to part with that box. You might need it someday! If you'd have posted before the deed was done I'd have urged you to throw a big towel or something over it but otherwise leave it alone. Besides, buying stuff for the place just means less in the v-inventory, so be careful. (You know I'm kidding, right? Well, mostly.)

My dear husband doesn't even go into our fruit room anymore because it's loaded with every video-related box I ever got. Tonight, I reluctantly set out a Bogen dolly box to throw away (in just a few minutes, actually) but after getting inspiration from these posts, I think it'll fit in the fruit room after all. I'm lucky that I live in an old house with a basement, and that the husband puts up with me. :)

Thanks. Another good box saved in the nick of time.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

V-inventory???

I feel bad that I tossed it. Nuts! My mom threw away my XL-1 box right after I got it five years ago. But Canon gives you a freebie...

heath
Old January 18th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #11
Major Player

You guys are wussy. camcorder boxes? what are they? You call that a box?

The real question is... whaddaya do with 5 sets of Mac G3/G4 desktop and Monitor boxes?
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Heh heh heh...I have a G5 box taking up space.

hwm
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : I have a G5 box taking up space.-->>>

...and if anyone says anything, put a drop cloth over it and use it for an end table.

v-inventory--I was sleepy when I wrote that. Just means all your video equipment. :)
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:41 AM   #14
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
Lorinda: ...and if anyone says anything, put a drop cloth over it and use it for an end table.
Actually, I've done precisely that with my Cinema Display's box in my office. It's very sturdy and provides a very good home surface for my scanner! In fact, it's been there so long that I hardly remember that it's a packing box!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:51 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

Now I REALLY wish I'd kept my HD10 box...It could be a coffee table. Well, it's a bit too small for that...

Anyone care to donate their HD10 box?

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media