Going back to the moon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #1
Wrangler

Going back to the moon

Just saw president Bush on TV remarking that he would like to go back to the moon with the hopes of establishing a human presence for further exploration! Man that's been one of my dreams since I was 8 years old. I hope they do it before my time on earth runs out.

Here's the link to CNN.com
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #2
Trustee

And lets also hope it's not just a ploy to get your vote since we're all so excited about the current Mars mission and elections are but months away.

I'm such a cynic.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I'm all for sending Bush to the moon... hehehe
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Wrangler

It's an intitiative that's long overdue--stalled in the past by unprincipled budgeting and lack of international cooperation.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Yeah long overdue, but there's a tad more important things to spend the money on me thinks. Too bad they don't spend it on them..

Aaron
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Boys... please remember, no political discussions are allowed at DV Info. Please relate this back to video or media of some kind, or it'll have to go.

:-(

(stern, frowny emoticon thingy)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Wrangler

Think the XL2 will be out by 2020 so they can use it on Mars?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #8
Trustee

Hmm, that brings up the question of what special, if any sorts of things need to be done to a camera that is going to the moon? I guess they just build a good housing rather than a camera that can handle the extreme environment.

Aaron
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Wrangler

On the McNeil Lehrer news hour, they mentioned that one of the projects that is already in the works is a Hubble type telescope to be placed on the far side of the moon.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

An announcement like that is just what NASA needs to inspire people again.

Hard to imagine it, but those born after the moon landing tend to be a bit blasé about space...having grown up with a "been there done that" attitude. The shuttle program hasn't done much in the way of inspiration...in fact, the shuttle accidents have probably diminished interest further.

Announcing something on a grander, more mythical scale is smart planning on NASA's part. That'll bring in needed funds...and elevate space exploration to renewed lofty heights.

Kind of surprising, though, that 2018 is the target date. We went from "That's impossible" to landing someone on the moon in less than a decade. Now...with all the technology available...it's going to take THAT long?!
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Will my camera's optical image stabilization work in zero or low gravity? I'm hoping to volunteer for the first living being sent to Mars mission (the one where they send the monkey, not the real astronaut - and I would go in place of the monkey).

Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Polictics-Schmolitics!

Robert,

The XL2 will probably end up on Mars...if, the Democrats don't screw everything up! ;)

(Sorry Chris, couldn't help myself!)

I can't even begin to imagine the quality of images from the Red Planet that may be received 20 years from now. Something to look forward to.

RB
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #13
Wrangler

Since I work at NASA, I can state authoritatively that by the time humans land on Mars, we will all be using Super-HD microcorders...except for those of us who have assumed room temperature by then! ;-)

Seriously, even though the Presidential directive doesn't have the pizzazz of the great Kennedy challenge, it will spur technology in all kinds of ways just as did the race to the moon. The Space Station program has to replace the camcorders on the ISS every so often because the harsh environment of space causes the pixels in the CCDs to die much faster than on earth. I'll bet that for long duration missions, there will be R&D that will result in better cameras for all of us. Among many other things.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Quote:
Think the XL2 will be out by 2020 so they can use it on Mars?
No. They'll be using the Panasonic PAL MX500 - tomorrow's technology today. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
those born after the moon landing tend to be a bit blasé about space...having grown up with a "been there done that" attitude
  • I'm not blasé, if anything I feel a little resentful towards the earlier 60's generation for making these grand promises and (from my viewpoint) conveniently abandoning them on the way because they were "too hard" or "had other important things to do". I remember being 8 years old (1978) and being completely certain I would be visiting a space station by the year 2000, and I remember thinking that it was very important that it happened. I even worked for NASA Ames Research Center in Menlo Park, during the last 2 summers of high school!

As sappy as it sounds, I'm glad they made this announcement, it makes me very hopeful again for the things I think are really important for the future.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media