Episode 2 entirely in digital - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 15th, 2002, 04:40 AM   #121
New Boot

Believe it or not, I was very excited to see it in DLP projection, not only because it was a Star Wars movie, but to witness the dawn of a new technology.

One of the friends who saw it with me is a big digital booster and ultimately found the picture acceptable (but the movie itself way too long). My impression was that when trying to read facial expressions in anything but closeups, the detail became marginal.

There were times when the CG background was sharper than the people (the primary subjects in the shot) in the foreground. Could that be from the video acquisition of the live-action?

All the computer-generated stuff looked fine, but the live-action will require higher rez cameras. The steadiness of the image was great, although except in extreme cases, image weave never bothered me. I had to point out the steadiness to the three others with me.

No doubt that this is the future of cinema. I just hope that the powers that be continue to improve the quality. The potential is there to surpass 35mm (or dare I say even 70mm). I can only hope! That would truly be progress.
Hillary Charles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media