Who's your favorite DIRECTOR(s) - and why? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I'm not overly familiar with Ang Lee's prior works, but I can understand your dissappointment with the Hulk. In my opinion, it would have been a much better film, except for Ang Lee bringing too much family melodrama into it. Nuke him, and let the Hulk rage on, and leave out his Father issues. A simple perspective, from a simple mind.

I guess I have been sheltered, by not being able to enjoy a vast number of foreign films. I hate subtitles, and don't have the desire to learn different languages. I do however, enjoy anime. The storylines and animation are often times far superior to some of the actual cinema released over here. -->>>

I just wish they had attempted to make the HULK look real and not like some CGI cartoon. :(
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #32
Capt. Quirk

John- You didn't like the CG in Hulk? I thought it was the best part... really. It was far better than the 70's attempt with Lou Ferrigno.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #33
Major Player

Well, yeah.

My sons Halloween costume was better than the 1970's version! LOL

No, I didn't like the CG character at all (better than Lou's). I thought it was a well thought out action/comic movie. Top rate acting and an engaging enough plot. The character just looked, bad.

I wish they would have went the route of THE LEAGUE of EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN with the Jecyl/Hyde character. Not exactly like that, but with that CG character you could still see the MAN in the MONSTER.

The HULK was just fake.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I like Jim Jarmusch for Mystery Train, Down by Law and Stranger Than Paradise.
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #35
Major Player

I actually thought the acting in Hulk was horrible. Eric Bana just didn't do it for me. It was also funny to see him in that movie knowing that he came from a comedy background (Fast Forward in Australia similiar to Sat Night Live in US).

Keith Forman:
Ang's very early notable international successes were made in taiwan years ago. These were "The Wedding Banquet" - sorta like "My Best Friend's Wedding with a Gay twist" and Eat Drink Man Woman with aguably the best chinese cooking sequence ever captured. I'm sure you are familiar with his more recent "Sense & Sensibilities" and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"

If you were ever to give a "foreign" flick a go, in particular a chinese one, i'd highly recommend Zhang Yimou followed by Wong Ka Wai.

Most "Foreign" movies speak with a different film/visual language. I think it's invaluable to get exposure to them. On the contrary, I find that watching a foreign film with subtitles forces you to take a closer look at story, character and dialogue, provided the translation was doen well. i tend to examine more closely what is being said and what is being played out.

Cheers.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:29 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Didn't see Darren Aronofsky yet: Pi, Requiem for a Dream.

Or George Roy Hill: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, The Sting, Slap Shot, World According to Garp.
Chris Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:34 AM   #37
Major Player

Don't ask.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:38 AM   #38
Major Player

Kubrick, Gilliam, and Lynch were very much a part of my adolescence.
Then Greenaway, Cronenberg, Altman, and Yimou.
Somewhere in there I was really hot for Godard. I simply hadn't seen anything like it. And Cassavetes. And Fellini. And Bergman.
The guy who did Tetsuo: The Iron Man will always have place to crash if ever he finds himself down and out in Nor Cal.
I can't thank Alejandro Jodorowsky for his mark in the world, he should have done Dune after all back in '74 or whenever that was.

Now it's Tarkovsky, Marker, some Herzog, Korine, early Ruiz, maybe Godard still; irrating though he can be, I just watched Le Petit Soldat, and afterwards thought, "My God, that's how films should be made."
Dogme '04, here I come.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media