What to do with my life? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #16
Major Player

I disagree.

I know way too many people that have degrees and aren't worth a pot.

A degre can open doors for sure. But "it's our wits that make us men" (Couldnt resist)

Seriously, I believe in going to school and getting an education, it is just too bad that it takes 4 to 5 years to get THAT degree. They outgha do away with the BullS**T 2 YEAR general education wish is just a rehash of High Scool College Prep anyway (Give or take).

I feel sorry for these kids coming out of high school. 18 years old and they have about 2 years to figure out what it is they are supposed to do with the rest of their lives.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

David, how many people have you ever heard of who said "I wish I didn't have a college diploma." I haven't heard any. Your parents have generously offered to pay your way to college. Take them up on this offer, and thank them for it. Not all college graduates go out and earn 10x what the non-college people earn, but there is one thing that you cannot deny: college rounds you out as a person. College is a time to learn more about what you want to do for the rest of your life. You can learn great things from great college professors. You can have fun and live with little (or no) responsibility for perhaps ths last time in your life. Take advantage of this wonderful and generous gift that your parents have offered you. For the rest of your life, people of all walks in life will take you more seriously when you can say that you have a degree in English, or Radio/Television/Film, or Computer Science from LSU, or the University of Texas, or Florida State, or whereever. If you wait, start a serious career or business first, then you'll never have this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be young and in college.

That being said, I *strongly* encourage you to follow your dream. If it is to run your own paintball business, or your own film studio, then do it. Don't go out and get a job that you hate, earning very good money. That will put you in a trap. Do what you love to do every day, and it will never be "work". Find that career that has you thinking "ok, if I get up 15 minutes earlier tomorrow, I can get working on this one thing...." That is the true secret. Do you know anyone who says "yeah, I like to work"? Nobody likes just "work", but everybody loves to do that something that makes them tick. That something is your dream.

If you don't follow your dream, you'll end up "trapped" in a career that pays you too much money to quit, and you'll always wonder "what could I have done if I just paid attention to my dream?"

Okay, I'll step down off my soapbox now. Good luck in your decision.
James Nyfeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Soapbox?

That was well put! I dont think anyone can discredit anything you just said. Listen to him. Do exactly as he says!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #19
Major Player

As someone said, no one will ask if you have one.

Of course, you could always join the circus.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #20
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : It's almost worth going just to meet people (and girls). -->>>

Aren't girls people? ;)
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #21
Major Player

"Aren't girls people?"

Depends upon your definition of "people".
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #22
Trustee

I'd say travel for a year, get out, see the world outside the US and the comfort of home/parents. You'll learn more about life, living and yourself out on the road, and a hell of a lot about how people outside of the US live. College is a good thing, so is getting on with the job but they will both be there when you get back from your travels. It really surprises that over 80% of US citizens don't have passports and have never been outside of the US. I didn't travel much until I was in my mid-20s and I wish I had done it earlier.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media