New Website.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Major Player

New Website....

www.dlwmedia.tk

It's just a little personal web site that I created to upload trailers and help promote my videos. It has loads of screen shots too.

I think I have the layout finished up. I'm pretty happy with the look. Only thing that makes me mad is the rough, distorted looking jpeg images used for the buttons on the left. I don't know whats causing them to be distorted when I upload them.

Likes? Dislikes?
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:47 PM   #2
Major Player

woops. Sorry I didn't mean to post in the wrong board.
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Dustin,
Since you asked for feedback here are my comments: (1) I could not get all of the contents of the right side of the screen to show all at once, I kept having to scroll to the right to read the text and see the screen shots and then scroll to the left (perhaps you could reduce the size of the left menu and that would allow more room for the right side of the screen); (2) I hate pop-up ads; (3) I take it that "Progressive Penury" (a.k.a., Progressive Extreme Poverty) is a video but I wouldn't have known that from the way it was listed in the menu (perhaps if the caption read, Latest Production: Progressive Penury, it would be clearer to the reader); (4) I'm on dial-up so the main page was still loading when I left the site; (5) layout and colors were nice.

Good luck with your endeavors, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey Dustin,

Checked out your site and hopefully can give you a few pointers.

The colours you have are good but you need to get a little uniformity in your graphics. You've got one style for your logo and then another for your buttons. For buttons I generally go for more subtle graphics. You definately need to re-think the size of the buttons, they look a little chunky.

While on the subject of re-thinking size, take a look at the size of your frames. As Nick mentioned they push your content over and off the screen. The top one is ok but the side frame, and the buttons, need to be smaller.

Take a look at some sites that you like and see if you can come up with a new idea. You've got a good start it just needs a little fine tuning.

If you need any help drop me a line.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback. Its on my bmxbums.com server so you can get there from typing in bmxbums.com but I don't like using the old bmxbums domain name so I got a free .tk domain name for it for now, thats where the pop up comes from. As for the frame sizes, I will try to make the left frame smaller, but you mentioned your on dial up correct? are you browsing the site in your isp's browser? If so this could be why you had to scroll so much. It displays fine in internet explorer. I had the same problems with bmxbums.com when I tried to view it with aol at a friends house. Not much I can do about it though.

EDIT: I posted this the same time Adrian posted.
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #6
Major Player

I have to scrool the left menu also... and it is because of the size of the Buttons, and the resolution and size of the monitor. You could make the buttons smaller.. or...

Besides all that have been said before (good and bad) I might add, that you site is very Simple and Clean... so why use the frames?
You have four pages... why not just repeat the menu and and logo on each page and skip the frames?

Just my thoughts.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Federico Dib : I have to scrool the left menu also... and it is because of the size of the Buttons, and the resolution and size of the monitor. You could make the buttons smaller.. or...

Besides all that have been said before (good and bad) I might add, that you site is very Simple and Clean... so why use the frames?
You have four pages... why not just repeat the menu and and logo on each page and skip the frames?

Just my thoughts. -->>>

Good suggestion. However I don't know how long it would last since I will be adding to it in the future. But its worth a shot.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #8
Major Player

What resolution are all of you using? All the computers that I've viewed the web site on are set to 1024x768 and there is no scrolling necessary. I just changed my resolution to 800x600 and I noticed the buttons looked massive like this and i had to scroll everywhere to see everything. soon I will have a splash page up with a notice stating that it's best viewed at 1024x768 resolution. I can't really redo everything to fit all resolutions as I don't really have to time to do so. It's not really that important anyway. Most of the people who will be viewing it are friends and fellow bmx riders.
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

The font and other effects you are using on the left buttons is rather garish. That is, unless you are pointing it at a skateboarding/BMX audience.

and I see that you are! Well, carry on then.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media