Michael Moore... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Closed Thread

Old February 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Michael Moore...

Are any of you fans of his documentaries? I have only seen two of them (Bowling for Columbine and Roger and Me) so I don't really know much about him. Though I thought they were excellent. Makes me want to go out and document the life on Ft. Myers Beach. It would make a really good documentary but theres that whole getting jumped/ gear getting stolen/ police harrassing me thing (I live in a shady town). Anyways just curious if anyone else here likes his films.
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't agree with a lot of things he says but he does bring up some very interesting points and thought provoking information.
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #3
Major Player

He may twist facts a bit, but as long as you take his stuff with a grain of salt and agree that they're just his opinions, his movies are very enjoyable. Hilarious, too!
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

I wouldn't call them documentaries. More like propaganda, but he satisfies the first rule of making a film: engagement. I was about to use the word "entertainment" as Moore's films are entertaining, but I think "engagement" is the best word.
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #5
Wrangler

You can still do it, just get the clearances first and you shouldn't have (m)any problems.

Moore has managed to cut himself a little niche. He also shows that he knows how and where to market himself. So be careful when you copy or adapt his style, because you may find it there is only room for Moore.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Don't worry about whether Moore's films are "documentary" or not. In Bowling, he presented himself as a curious citizen who followed his train of thought wherever it led him. It didn't try to be objective at all, he was very plain about that. Moore is about dialogue, not exact science. Also, he doesn't own the game, that of concerned citizens exploring the world around them through the medium of film/moving pictures. If you are interested in something, and wish to explore it, documenting your feelings/findings/experiences along the way, with DV, or writing, or whatever, go for it, Dustin, absolutely.

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

However you look at it HE made fun of people who use rifles for sport or that it's a part of their life. Most of them would not watch his movie knowing this the populace of America would see this and most being from the city would think “Hey! Look at those nuts giving a rifle away at a bank!” Yeah it looks rather weird matter of fact ironic in a way, YET! We don’t live there so we should not judge them or compare our lives to them.
Old February 5th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Major Player

To show his one-sided views, you heard him ask why there are so many more incidents involving guns in the US even though Canada has a very high ownership also. His implication, I believe, is getting rid of the guns would reduce this. But looking at it from the other side you might wonder if it would since Canada does not have that problem.

I bring that up to show the two sides. I DO NOT want to get into the gun issue.
Old February 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #9
Major Player

No, it was a legit question.

The statistics he showed in the film about not only the death by shooting rate in Candana were correct but so were the ones for the rest of the other countries.

It's a damn interesting question why in other countries where gun ownership is just about as high as in the US there aren't as many deaths by them.

I don't think for a second he was saying that getting rid of guns would solve that problem--- but if the US had as low a death by gun rate as canada it wouldn't be an issue.

When you have the numbers right in front of you and they are so different it really does make you wonder and ask why from a sociology point of view.
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #10
Air China Pilot

Bob, he actually does go forward from that question when he brings up the fact that Canadian gun ownership is as high or higher than in the U.S. He also shows that he was a gun owner and was brought up as a shooter. So he does say that it isn't gun ownership. After this he goes onto the rant about American culture.

People have to see the film to see what we are talking about.
Old February 5th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : Bob, he actually does go forward from that question when he brings up the fact that Canadian gun ownership is as high or higher than in the U.S. He also shows that he was a gun owner and was brought up as a shooter. So he does say that it isn't gun ownership. After this he goes onto the rant about American culture.

People have to see the film to see what we are talking about. -->>>

Yes exactly. There is a breaking point in the film when he comes to a conclusion that its not the gun ownerships in our country, but instead, the culture and the way we live, and the way the press teaches us to live.
Old February 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

POV on his intended message aside, I think that if you have a story to tell, tell it. If you live in a shady part of town where you are afraid your gear will get lifted, get cheap gear.

Can you get maybe an old camcorder at a pawn shop. Hi-8? Something small and unobtrusive...Maybe VHS? The cameras are bigger but cheaper. The image quality may be low, but if the story you want to tell is gritty and run down, use that.

To avoid the cops, get a buddy to post look out. It works for the scum that sell drugs, it'll work for you. If stopped, lie. Tell them you are just taking home movies. Be nice, be polite, carry id. Do what the cop tells you, till he's gone. Then finish your business.

Just get a good story. That's more important than video quality. Make the story and the hardware match.
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #13
Trustee

One of the best things you can ever do as an indie filmmaker of any type, is make friends with at least one police officer. Do it anyway you can, and do any favors you need to in order to earn that friendship. Even if it just means being a friendly face and saying hi to the one that you see on occasion. Work your way in!

It will help you deal with permitting problems, and will help keep you out of trouble, and will keep you out of the line of sight of these well-meaning enforcers of the law.

They just need to make sure you're not up to no good on their watch, and if you're cool with them on a personal level, you are golden.
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #14
Major Player

I found a solution. I have a few friends who were body builders. They will follow me around when I decide to shoot the video.
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:08 AM   #15
Major Player

I didn't see "Bowling For Columbine," but I loved his first movie and his series that he had on tv for awhile.

However,
I'm troubled that he is twisting facts, and basically being dishonest about things in his film "Farenheit 911." It smacks of a political agenda, as did his Cannes award (dont get me started on the french right now). He's become a spin doctor- as bad or worse than the ones he critisizes. Its a bummer to me, becausee I sure liked his sense of humor--before.

J Patnaude :>(
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media