Runaway Jury - Steadicam Tour de Force at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Runaway Jury - Steadicam Tour de Force

Perhaps you saw this movie in the theaters, but even if you haven't, it's out on dvd this week. Rent it or buy not just for one of the best demonstrations of how to do a steadicam shot without looking clinically smooth, but with style. The camera swirls around the actors, whether they are walking in front of a courthouse, in the courtroom, or being chased. John Cusack plays a "reluctant" juror who is anything but passive. Dustin Hoffman has the role of a crusading attorney in a tort suit, and Gene Hacking is a jury analyst and doer of dirty deeds for the defense. The defendant is a gun manufacturer.

The credits on the imdb site seem to missing the steadicam "a" operator (David Crone).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313542/fullcredits

Charles probably knows him. It is amazing how well the good steadicam operators achieve near perfect framing in widescreen 2.35:1 format, given the narrow slit-like vertical view of the world. The DP (Robert Elswit) and Editor (William Steinkamp) appear on the dvd extras. Overall, I'd say this dvd provides you with as much information on the making of the film as Robert Rodriguez' Once Upon a Time in Mexico dvd. I hope you own a good projection tv, because you'll need one to really appreciate the lighting on Runaway Jury. Deep black backgrounds, and actors whose faces are lit perfectly. I wonder if video could ever achieve this film look. In all likelihood, Fox will release this on D-Theater tape (1080i format). At least they should, since it is a great example of modern cinematography.
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

I haven't checked out the DVD, but I did see the movie. If those
extra's are that interesting I'm definitely going to check it out.
Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #3
Wrangler

Sounds cool. I know of David Crone, haven't met in person. His dad is one of the pioneering early Steadicam operators, and one of my instructors when I took the workshop in '85.

I heard some stories from folks who worked on the movie that weren't awfully favorable towards the director...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media