The Title "Apocalypse Now" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 9th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The Title "Apocalypse Now"

Does anybody know why Apocalypse Now is called Apocalypse Now? I recall seeing the words written on a stone when they finally found the insane soldier, but i don't know why it was written there. Any thoughts?
Gino Terribilini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Wrangler

It's probably an ironic twisting of the anti-Vietnam protestor chant "Peace now!"

Incidentally, writer Milius's original title for the film was The Psychedelic Soldier.

Highly recommended is the 1991 Hearts of Darkness documentary on the making of the film.

Failing that, there's always Apocalypse Pooh.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually, "Apocalypse Now" was inspired by "Heart of Darkness" which was a novel by Joseph Conrad.

The novel was about a European, also named Kurtz, who went into the deepest reaches of the Congo and sets himself up as a GOD.

"Heart of Darkness" was also the title of the documentary of the making of the movie. Much, if not all of it, came from notes taken by Coppola's wife.

As for the meaning of the title, maybe, if I did hallucinogenic drugs, I might have come up with a good answer as to why it was chosen!

RB
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not to be too nitpicky but the documentary is "Hearts of Darkness" (with an 's') you can get it used at Amazon

Actually the full name listed there is "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse" haven't seen it yet, but a friend told me that it's really good. Hope people are able to track it down if they're interested. I've seen it at one private video rental store before.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media