insults from a local news guy... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
...be very careful just how close you walk to the line of basically saying that those of us who earn part of our living doing tv news are out of touch or arrogant or ignorant.
That impression has most likely been earned by a vocal minority who post elsewhere on the web, and I fully agree with Shaun that references to this element should be left out of DV Info Net completely. We offer an alternative to the typical internet experience which is hopefully one of our star attractions. The last thing I want to do here is foster a mindset which is not at all accurate or common, despite what one might read on other forum sites (which will not be mentioned by name). Thanks in advance.

Do we see a need for our own news shooter forum here? Let me know,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Inner Circle

A seperate forum -"news shooter forum" - hmmmm.

That would include people who freelance (carpetbagging) and those who are 'stringers'? (Under contract to provide content?) - directly to broadcast news outlets? What about those of us who work in broadcast/cable as directors producers and editors, (NO - DON'T ask me to use the word 'preditor' - or even Proditor - I hate it)

I guess the 'doc' forum would still be seperate - since documentary is generally seperated from 'newsgathering' by it's timeliness. Once it's archived it's doc material basically.

Sure, I'm game for that.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If there is enough interest, of course I'd support it but if only 5 or so of us are likely to participate in that specific forum, I'd say don't worry about it. Let's see how many of us are interested.

And thanks again Chris for all the support and for providing this forum (and Forum) for us. I spend a GREAT deal of my available time cruising and perusing here.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I know this isn't the spirit in which this comment was offered but PLEASE be very careful just how close you walk to the line of basically saying that those of us who earn part of our living doing tv news are out of touch or arrogant or ignorant.
Having shot news, both hard and soft in the past, I understand the situation for news people. The people I worked with were generally helpful and backed each other up and everyone agreed to go either tungsten or daylight before the scrum. Although there was a bit of gentle pressure needing to be applied either side to keep the shot together once inside the scrum.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
So, I watched the newcast later that night and shockingly, my A1 held up great. In SD in 4:3 over broadcast. It looked awesome. His newcast was just fine. But, nothing different. I felt silently vindicated...
Bill
Many peoples don`t see any differences between HV20 an XHA1 video.
But there is a lot of things whitch makes XHA1 better and 5times more expensive.
Just understand - these are a lot of differences between XHA1 and really professional Equipment.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #21
Major Player

Well,
I certainly understand that. The original issue i am posting about is not how awesome my camera is, but the irony of the arrogance of one guy. The vast majority of newguys that I have run into are very cool. Very profesional and welcome me with open arms. But I thought the fact that this guy was so desperate to brag, he actually told me that his cam could shoot in broad daylight without shadows under the eyes, and his subject squinting in to the sun. I thought it was laughable...
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media