Getting a job in a specific movie production? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Getting a job in a specific movie production?

So how does a person not in L.A. and with no contacts in the flim biz find out when and where an upcoming production will be hiring for anything?
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Major Player

There are trades that go out that usually publish what's in production and who's hiring. If you have no contacts, you better start making them. That's kind of how things work in just about any industry.
Old July 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

any specific names for said trades?
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Trustee

When I was in college, I got an internship with 2 big film studios. I was on set and learned how things were done in the industry. To my big disappointment, what I discovered was that all the positions were unionized. A camera operator belonged to a camera operator's union, and didn't touch audio, lighting equipment, or visa versa. Likewise, an audio person was also unionized and couldn't touch a camera or lights. That was not my cup of tea since I love playing with all gadgets.

What I did instead was start my own video production business, where I could do camera, audio, set design, lighting, editing, etc...total freedom to do anything I wanted.

If you're not in a union, what craft are you interested in pursuing?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
When I was in college, I got an internship with 2 big film studios. I was on set and learned how things were done in the industry. To my big disappointment, what I discovered was that all the positions were unionized. A camera operator belonged to a camera operator's union, and didn't touch audio, lighting equipment, or visa versa. Likewise, an audio person was also unionized and couldn't touch a camera or lights. That was not my cup of tea since I love playing with all gadgets.

What I did instead was start my own video production business, where I could do camera, audio, set design, lighting, editing, etc...total freedom to do anything I wanted.

If you're not in a union, what craft are you interested in pursuing?
I already have a small video business, but never had any experience on a movie set (or TV set, for that matter...). I heard they were remaking Red Dawn and, since it had been one of the formative films of my youth, I wanted to get a small job on set doing anything for any or no pay, just to help, watch, and learn, because I can afford to now and to say I did it.

So where do I sign up for the donut gopher's union? :D
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #6
Trustee

Do a search of IATSE in your area, then take a look at the different chapters. They all deal with film/stage production. If you're pursuing television drama, you might want to check out your local IBEW chapters. Have fun!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Check the Hollywood Reporter production listings and see if they list a production office - they usually do. Call the production office and see what you can find out. Without a union affiliation, usually you're limited to PA jobs - but if you do a good job, you'll get to meet everyone.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Major Player

1. Know someone in the business or that is already working on a film. I got to work on Pelican Brief because a friend was working on it.

2. Work for free or volunteer for a lot of indie/student films. The uncle of a Director of a student film I worked on was an Oscar winning director. I actually got to hold an Oscar...it was pretty cool. Heavy too!

3. Read any industry magazines, newsletters, etc. Here in Florida we have The Florida Blue Sheet. It has gotten me many jobs.

4. Check Craigslist. There's always something in the "Crew" section.

5. Check out your State's Film Commission website. They always have links that you can go to to find jobs.
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Major Player

If the USA is like the UK most 'advertised' jobs are gone before the advert appears in the press. Make it your business to research a few local production companies, get to know who the key people are - especially the one's who do the hiring - then write to them ask them for the opportunity to work, or just observe, on their next production and for free. This is the only industry I know where people are seemingly happy to work for free - weird or what?

You can take the sneaky way in too. I knew an actor who wanted to make it in film, he wrote to directors saying he was a media student and wanted to do a paper on film production. It worked he got a few replies, got on set, got the opportunity to 'interview' several key players - dropping the hint he wanted to eventually act.

Sometime you have to use 'tricks' be as inventive as you can to get yourself 'in there'. This is an industry about imagination so maybe your efforts will be appreciated...who knows someone may even write a screenplay about your life :-)
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
I heard they were remaking Red Dawn.
Swayze is rolling in his grave, assuming that he's already been buried...
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media