Smartphone users: how much do you download per month? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Smartphone users: how much do you download per month?

Hi!

So, I'm finally about to join the SmartPhone revolution and get myself an HTC Hero (the latest phone running Google's Android OS; it has lots of cool features for filmmakers including a fully-fledged flash player).

My problem is that I can't figure out how much data I'm likely to use per month over 3G. The HTC Hero will be available for free from two networks: Orange and T-Mobile. Both offer an "unlimited" data bundle. However, "unlimited" is defined as 500MB per month on Orange (my current provider) and 1GB per month on T-Mobile.

Personally, I worry that 500MB is just a little low, especially for a phone which is entirely capable of playing flash videos, Google Maps, Last FM etc etc. Plus I'd like collaborators to be able to send me rough-cuts of projects to my phone for review whilst I'm on the road etc.

So: as a media geek, how much data do you use per month on your Smartphone?

Thanks loads,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Well I really haven't used my iPhone much during the last month, and I can't see a way to pull up older bills from AT&T. Looks like last month there was 68MB data usage (if I understand the report I'm looking at). But of course this doesn't include wifi use, which would be considerably more. I've been enjoying a bit of time off recently and don't even get a usable cell signal at my home in the middle of nowhere. I was using 3g data much more heavily during May when working long hours in Philadelphia.

Is the "Hero" the same phone that T-Mobile just introduced in the US as the "MyTouch"? - Review: T-Mobile myTouch 3G | Katherine Boehret | The Mossberg Solution | AllThingsD
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Is the "Hero" the same phone that T-Mobile just introduced in the US as the "MyTouch"? - Review: T-Mobile myTouch 3G | Katherine Boehret | The Mossberg Solution | AllThingsD
Probably, yes. T-Mobile UK are launching the HTC Hero as the "T-Mobile G2 Touch".
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media