One reason to hate unions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 9th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #1
Major Player

One reason to hate unions...

Variety via Kevin Smith's Movie Poop Shoot:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/apr04/40.html

I'll bet that things get cleared up pretty quickly, but it does raise interesting questions about the DGA and its rules. Another example, in my opinion, why more interesting movies get made outside of the system...

(by the way, have you seen the Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD? The "Inside Troublemaker Studios" bonus featurette? I don't even have a *garage*, much less a mouth-watering home studio like that!)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What about this story prompts you to "hate unions"? To me it simply looks like Robert Rodriguez routinely gets into and out of the Directors' Guild as it suits his needs, much as he might don a suit.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : What about this story prompts you to "hate unions"? To me it simply looks like Robert Rodriguez routinely gets into and out of the Directors' Guild as it suits his needs, much as he might don a suit. -->>>

OK, so hate is a strong word, but your reply just further shows the uselessness of the DGA.

I'm all for the rights of *any* worker, but organizations such as this become so byzantine and arbitrary in their actions that they become useless.

I don't want this to become a political thread, so feel free to change the title of this thread to something less seemingly baiting, like "Robert Rodririguez and the DGA" if need be.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

just gamesmenship.
The guild indicated it has granted waivers in the past, and their reasoning is generally sound . The rules protect the existing director more than anything and prevents token figureheads from getting director credit. (and being nominated for anything)

Considering the sort of viscous politics that can surround any studio film I have to agree with them even if Rodriguez is sincere. There are plenty of options to give certain people special consideration in the films credits.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media