Two reporters have their tapes erased by Justice Scalia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 9th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Air China Pilot

Two reporters have their tapes erased by Justice Scalia

I believe this is relevant to those of us who like to cover public events.

Marshal Orders Tapes Of Scalia Talk Erased

This and from other stories indicate the following: It is known that Justice Scalia does not allow the taping of his speeches when he arranges a public event. However, in this case it was an appearance arranged by a school.

Apparently, two reporters who were covering a public speech by Justice Scalia to high school students were ordered by one of his security detail to erase their tapes.

Two questions:
1) Can a public official disallow recording of a public appearance at all? Public officials who hold an event could bar reporters or not invite reporters. But if reporters are allowed in, what right does the speaker have in attempting to bar recording?

2) What is the legality of giving up your tape in the event that you are approached by an officer?

Imagine if one of us were videotaping the event. I'm not a journalist but I considered myself one in university and I know enough that there is no way I would give up my tape. I would rather go to jail.
Old April 9th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm intrigued by this story too. I honestly don't know if they had the authority to force the reporter to erase the recording. I'm surprised the reporter agreed to it. It would be worth spending the night in jail over.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Damn. I too am intrigued. Is this for real?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, it's a true story. Scalia's taking a bit of press heat for the incident.

A Friendly Reminder
Those contemplating posting a remark to this thread must limit their comments to matters OTHER than political opinions. While we respect your right to express your opinions on politics, you must seek other venues for such expressions. DVInfo is a venue for video techniques and technologies.

Thank you for your consideration and cooperation.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

This incident did not go unnoticed. See the following:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/12/opinion/12HERB.html
There is a chilly wind blowing across the country.

Wayne Orr
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

That op / ed sums it real well, Warren. And therein lies the answer to one of my questions:

"I called Jane Kirtley, a professor of media, ethics and law at the University of Minnesota, and asked her what was wrong with what the marshal did. She replied, "Everything."

Not only was it an affront to the Constitution to seize and erase the recordings, Ms. Kirtley believes it was also a violation of the Privacy Protection Act, a law passed by Congress in 1980."
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Air China Pilot

Scalia apologizes

Just found this. Justice Scalia wrote to the Reporters Committee of the Freedom of the Press and said that he did not authorize the marshal's actions and was 'as upset as you were'. He also said that he wrote apologies to the two reporters who had their tapes erased.

http://www.rcfp.org/news/releases/scalia_response.pdf
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #8
Major Player

elvez

As a former journalist, I was appalled that any reporter would turn over a tape w/out a subpeona.
This is what we get when the going wage for print reporters rivals that of a Macdonald's shift manager.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

That's the part of the story I don't get either. Most reporters live for that kind of thing. One was an AP reporter too -- not typically a very timid bunch. Supposedly her recorder was physically seized over her protests. As I read the story, she probably agreed to show them how to erase it so she could get her recorder back. (There was no tape to hand over.)
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Antonin Scalia

He is a sitting justice on the United States Supreme Court, the highest court in the land.
If this case, ordering the censure of press at a public speaking engagement, went before his own court he would lose.
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media