Movies you like but shouldn't have. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 25th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Movies you like but shouldn't have.

This was suggested by Mr. Cooper, I hear and obey ;-)

You know it's happened, You head all your friends tell you how stinky a film was. It's late, you can't sleep, you put on the tv. There it is! The film that was called the granddaddy of all steamers. You watch, you like. In fact, you love it. You don't know what to do. Have you lost your judgement? Have your friends? Can you tell anyone? How do you live the rest of your life?

Get it off your chest! Tell us about a film that "everyone" hated but you loved.

Same ruels apply. No flaming, No one is wrong or stupid. We're hear to share, not judge. Explain as much or as little as you wish. This is a place of love and trust.

I'll start...

The Postman, no not "El Postino", the Kevin Costner film.

The gist of the film is that America is taken out in a nuclear war. Raving bands of yahoos raom the wasteland. Costner finds a bag of mail and travels the badlands trying to convince people that the country is starting to get it's act together and the mail is getting through. He battles his old gangmates and becomes an inspiration to the survivors.

I loved everything about this film. I really thought the film had a lot to say about the power of belief. It was a "realistic" film. It was like "High Noon." It was the story of a legend, not what "really" happened.

My favorate part is when they run the American flag up in front of a post office, a gang of thugs (the tribe of 8) see it, and says "take that down and burn it, that flag is an abomination." I thought it really captured the anger that a lot of "survivalists" felt toward the government, rejecting the myth that everyone with a bomb shelter was a "true, blue Ahmer'kin."

Yet everyone hates it. On the "Simpons" Lisa is watching it on dvd and the directors commentary is just Costener saying "I'm sorry" over and over again. Well, I'm not sorry. I loved it.

But then again, I also like marmite!
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Mine usually come in the form of comedies. I mentioned on the other thread "Dude Where's my Car." I think it was amazingly funny. So simple, yet so funny. The other one I get flack on is a movie from 1984 called "Top Secret". It stars a young Val Kilmer, and is like a Naked Gun except 10x better. If you havent seen it, get it. Its my favorite comedy of all time. I also really really liked "Reloaded", but I was disappointed in the ending of "revolutions".
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Wrangler

Looks like everyone hated Starship Troopers but me, so I'll start with that. I loved it from start to finish. :)

Wow, I have so many more... I think half my movie collection is bad movies that I love.
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I don´t think that TOP SECRET falls into the category of "Bad Movie everyone hated but I liked".
TOP SECRET has to be one of the funniest films I´ve watched. And certainly the one I like best on that kind of humour.

Most people I know that have watched it, agree with me.

(Maybe I´m surrounded by weird people?)

Anyway, I think I might give that "Dude where´s my car" a shot.
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

Top Secret is meant to be bad and full of corny jokes. It can only be criticized if it wasn't funny enough.

In that category, however, there was a film called "Reposessed" starring Linda Blair and Leslie Nielsen. It was supposed to be a parody of the Exorcist films but there was very little funny in it.
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh, there are tons, but the most recent one is probably The Transporter. Typical action flick, but the action itself is very cool. Especially the first car chase.

I've recently started to adopt Tarantino's approach to movies, the gist of it being he doesn't look at it critically in terms of artistic achievement, he just enjoys them for what they are. There are definitely films that I prefer to have in my collection over big blockbusters, but it can be fun and relaxing sometimes to just sit down with an easy mainstream movie.
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #7
Wrangler

Another one of my favorite comedies that most people I know hate is Broken Lizards' Super Troopers. I laugh almost all the way through, and it's just as funny as the first time I watched it.

meow.
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #8
Outer Circle

I liked "The Prince of Darkness," but---. I shouldn't because the resolution could have been stronger.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #9
Wrangler

Stealing Harvard. "Why is anybody talking?"

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #10
Air China Pilot

Frank, I keep on bugging Dylan to see it. It's probably Carpenter's last good film.

I disagree about the ending, however. It's what I loved the best. It's the kind of ending that stays with you because there is no resolution.
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #11
Major Player

I´m having so much fun remembering all these crappy movies I actually liked. So I´ll post a few more that come to mind now:

- George of the Jungle

- The one with John Ritter where he and his wife get sucked inside the TV and start going around different TV shows...

- Frighteners (way before I even knew who Peter Jackson was).
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #12
Trustee

I think Joe Versus the Volcano was an absolutely wonderful film, with great music, great atmosphere, and a sense of fairy-tale wonder that just captivated me.

But everyone else seems to think it sucks.

I will say, though, that I think it failed to reach its audience because of when it came out. I have found that when I force people to watch it today, they like it much more. Or at least don't think it's dumb any more.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #13
Major Player

I thought the movie 'Orgasmo' was funny. Everyone always laughs and me and says its stupid but I think its hilarious. If any of you here like the show 'South Park' then you would probably enjoy watching 'Orgasmo.'
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #14
Major Player

The first Conan movie. I still love it; I probably watch it once a year, at least.

Polanski's Pirates is another one.

I am also a huge fan of the forgotten Sci Fi classic, Forbidden Planet- wherein one can find almost the entire concept behind the original Star Trek series.

Oh yeah- I liked Anaconda too...

Michael
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #15
Inner Circle

If I like a movie, then it doesn't suck. period. hehehe

Liked StarShip troopers, even though I read the book and felt
betrayed. The book described a society based on Platonic ideals, not fascist ones. But the director needed a convienent sneaky way to critisize America. (yes, America, not Nazi Germany).

Why I liked..
Great CG, up to that time, the best ever.
Great Action scenes.
Great pacing.
Denise Richards and Dina Myer.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media