Well if you guys haven't seen it on the news... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Well if you guys haven't seen it on the news...

Yeah well, you guys have probably seen it on the news or read it in the paper, but if not, I was recently banned from my high school graduation, given an F in an independent study project for producing the senior video, and turned into the local police for putting nude pics of some girls on the senior video.

Click here for more info
Ross Weinshenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Actually, I did read about that the other day. So you're the guy, huh? According to the article I read, you were going to take the girls out of the video and forgot?
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Wrangler

What vanity inspires one to advertise such ignominy?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

To answer both your questions....Keith: I tried to take the section out, but for those of you who have used Encore DVD, I unlinked everything, but left it in the timeline, and forgot to delete its' end action. In my bonus section of the dvd, the 3rd video was timeline 21, and this section was timeline 22. Since the end action was not removed, Encore still burned it to the dvd, since it had some "purpose."

Robert: Perhaps you should inqure more about the situation before you go so far as to judge those involved. I am not ashamed in any way of what I did; when you do a senior prank, you're usually not. I did the best I could to get the video off of my dvd, but I missed one step. Whether it was in there or not, I do not consider my actions ignominy in any way, otherwise, I woudln't have gone to the press with my story.

I am, however, shamed by the fact that the school district issued me an F on my project, which I proposed to be graded according to thoroughness, quality, and completion: all of which were done up to an A standard, not an F. In my proposal to the school, the curriculum did not include marketing, selling, or distributing the DVD, or designing any type of menu navigation if there was to be a DVD created. I did this all on my own time at home.
Ross Weinshenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Why not sue the maker of Encore, make a million, start your own production company, become a teacher at the High School, fire the people who gave you an F and marry the girl who's breast you tried to hide, and make a "Special Edition" to the DVD for the public?

Wait, you're all in High School...forget it!! That's illegal!

murph
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #6
Wrangler

Ross....
Three words...

YOU DA MAN!!!

Sorry, I find the whole story pretty darn funny. Not the you getting an "F" part, but the rest of it is great.
Can I get an autographed original copy of the DVD?
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Twenty years from now, who will your classmates remember best? The Valedictorian? The Captain of the football team? Or you?

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #8
Major Player

The grade was a politics. It wasn't graded on its value. Even if the teacher gave it back and had you correct it then the principal or school board would have pressured him to do otherwise.

School is more politics and social issues nowadays than learning. It's best to just sit in a corner and do your thing than worry about everyone else. A year from now this will only be an anecdote for those with direct knowledge. I already forgot your name.

Potential problems with college is if they consider you a trouble maker for doing that. The 'F' to me is a real issue if it causes problems. If you think it would then a strongly worded letter from an attorney is advisable.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #9
Major Player

I second Dylan!

Heard your interview on 105.9 this morning. I think you carried yourself very well and judging from what I heard, you tried to correct the problem before it became one.

It sucks that you are not going to be allowed to walk with your class but, I would fight to the death to have that F reversed!

I personally feel that yes, you did screw up...but tried to remedy the situation before it became an issue. Unfortunatley, your missing that one step in the deletion process buried you. The fact that you have shown remorse and the fact that you tried to delete the images before they were released should be taken into account by the administration although it's probably going to be a tough sell as most of those folks are sorely lacking a sense of humor!

You may have to pursue the grade change through legal channels.

By the way. Any negative repercussions for the girl's actions of taking off their clothes in a public place, possibly while under the influence of some mind altering substance? Are they being allowed to walk with the graduating class?

Good luck, RB.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Dont even sweat it. Unfortunately you are the scapegoat as the district must 'set an example'. I will be forgotten in 6 months and yes, at the reunion, you will be the one they remember.

Lessons learned the hardway. Im not getting the F grade though.
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media