I may need a new website service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 7th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

I may need a new website service

Everyone,

My sites went down (two main websites and a bunch of subdomains that "appear" as main websites) and with it, my email, which can be considered MORE important than my sites (I average about 15 new visitors a day and 35 - 50 emails a day, most of them very important). It's been three days, and I'm losing patience FAST.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a service where I can have all my main and subdomain sites and pay less than $35 a month?

Thanks,

heath
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

We have been very happy with OLM.net. I have their basic site which is about $10/mo but it wouldn't allow enough bandwidth to stream very much video. At work we have a couple of other plans with them that offer more, including a managed host that gives us full root access and lets us do almost anything for around $70/mo. They have been very reliable and good to deal with.

Of course your mileage may vary, and there may be less expensive places as well. We found them a few years ago and have just stayed with them since there haven't been any problems.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I use Hostrocket for my site. They have some of the cheapest and best packages around, plus good uptime and fast servers. It's what I recommend to clients, I've had three or four people go with them and are very satisfied.

This is their cheapest package, for $9.95 per month (it's even less if you pay monthly or yearly)

1GB space
50GB bandwidth /month (with rollover)
unlimited subdomains
Cpanel, webmail, unlimited POP3 accounts
PHP/MySQL, CGI, Real Streaming Media support

etc.. etc.. their package card is here.
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Major Player

A buddy of mine just set up at IPower.com... amazing deals...

$7.95 / month for:

800 Megs / 400 Emails
1 FREE Domain Name
SSL / CGI-BIN / MySQL
Unlimited Email Forwarding
Marketing / Content Package
$50 Overture Credit
+ more..

(all he needed)

but for $19.99 / month they have:

10 Gigs / Unlimited Emails
10 FREE Domain Names
SSL / CGI-BIN / MySQL
Telnet Server Access
100 Gig Transfer
$50 Overture Credit

The last time I had priced servers was a while back... was amazed at the prices...

take a look....
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Dunno if it will work for you but I use Webdrive. They are a New Zealand outfit but have good service and offer good products.

Go here

Cheers
Aaron
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #6
New Boot

One more to look at is lunarpages.com. Highly rated and inexpensive, I have 9 domains hosted with them.
Richard DiBona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Major Player

A few comments...

First, if you haven't seen my long-winded thread in this section, let me give my opinion that you should avoid IX Webhosting. Yes, I'm a little bitter about it... :)

I've currently just signed up with lunarpages, as Richard mentioned. So far so good... It was down to them or ipowerweb.com (two of the most recommended hosting services, according to most "review" sites, it seems). I was intrigued by the lunarpages support forum; it helped them win my business by a hair. We'll see how they do...

Which brings me to this question, ostensibly for Barry -- ipowerweb.com gets a good bit of positive press, but I've never heard of ipower.com. Every review or mention (even by users) of ipowerweb links to ipowerweb.com. Upon closer inspection of ipower.com, I notice that they have the same toll-free number as ipowerweb! Do you (or anyone else) know more about this? That $12.95 plan looks great, and if the positive reviews of ipowerweb also apply to ipower, then it's a very tempting deal... (I could just call them myself, I guess, but maybe someone can say if the quality of service is the same bewteen the two identities)

Finally, for Alex -- "$9.95 per month (it's even less if you pay monthly or yearly)" -- actually, that $9.95/month is already the lowest price, applicable when you pay for 2 years in advance. The price goes up if you pay monthly or for only one year in advance.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #8
Major Player

John,

I don't know anything about Ipowerweb, or much about Ipower for that matter. I helped a buddy switch a site from my server over to Ipower, but he had done the research to find it. It has been up for about a month and he is pretty happy so far. That's all I know.
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #9
Wrangler

Check out this thread.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Michael

Do you know about the relationship between ipowerweb and ipower? Like other ipw users, you linked to ipowerweb.com, but perhaps you know something about the other ID?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Thread's a couple days old, hope I'm not too late; I'd like to put in my two cents for CI Host, the guys I use.

They always have a promotion of some sort going on, with lots of "Crazy Deals" (their phrase). My hosting plan was one of these, a shared hosting setup that gives me three gigs of space, "unlimited" transfer (though I'm not a hundred percent sure, I believe it's only unlimited to a point, a concept I'll never understand), an SQL database that I never use, FTP access, five email addresses, and some other stuff for only thirty bucks a month. Take a look around, you'll probably find a package that suites you.

And get this: the "witty" worm hit the company a couple months ago, killing some of their equipment. They not only had recent backups of my site, but contacted me to discuss credit of some sort. I declined, but the fact that they did it impresses me. Only caveat is something I found out from my mother: my dad and I were on our way home from the city when someone called the house saying something about damage to a website. That's all she could decipher with the incomprehensible Indian accent (she thought it was an obscene phone call at first). And as if that weren't bad enough--I'd rather not get into an economics argument, suffice it to say I'm not happy about overseas support--he said someone would call back later, when I was home. I'm still waiting. Not that it matters, the site's back up, but still.

Any problem I have with their employment policies, however, is strongly offset by the incredible deals they offer. I think it's worth it in this case.

So take a look, if you're interested, and let 'em know I sent you should you decide to take the plunge. ;)
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #12
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by John Britt : Michael

Do you know about the relationship between ipowerweb and ipower? Like other ipw users, you linked to ipowerweb.com, but perhaps you know something about the other ID? -->>>

John, ipower and ipowerweb are the same. Use WHOIS you'll see that ipower.com is registered to ipowerweb.com. I'm not sure though what the exact relationship is.

** I think there is a lot of consolidation and partnering going on with many of the web hosting companies. When I researched Ipowerweb it seemed like they had several other companies reselling their services under a different name.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media